Connect to as400 through vpn - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Connect to as400 through vpn - IBM AS400 ; Hi all, This is sort of a strange thing, when I connect to our office through the vpn (road warrior) I cannot access our as400. I am using mocha, that doesn't work. I tried telneting directly to the as400 from ...

  1. Connect to as400 through vpn

    Hi all,

    This is sort of a strange thing, when I connect to our office
    through the vpn (road warrior) I cannot access our as400.
    I am using mocha, that doesn't work. I tried telneting directly
    to the as400 from a command prompt, that doesn't work. I can
    telnet from a command prompt to other computers in the office,
    that's fine. Just not the as400s.

    Anyone else have something like this?

    Is there some issue with telnet or mocha through a vpn?

    Thanks,
    Julien

  2. Re: Connect to as400 through vpn

    Hi,

    Julien Mills schrieb:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > This is sort of a strange thing, when I connect to our office
    > through the vpn (road warrior) I cannot access our as400.
    > I am using mocha, that doesn't work. I tried telneting directly
    > to the as400 from a command prompt, that doesn't work. I can
    > telnet from a command prompt to other computers in the office,
    > that's fine. Just not the as400s.
    >
    > Anyone else have something like this?
    >
    > Is there some issue with telnet or mocha through a vpn?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Julien

    that sounds to me as if the default gateway on as400 is'nt setup
    correctly. We are using Mochasoft over vpn without any problems.

    Kind regards
    Michael

  3. Re: Connect to as400 through vpn

    On Sep 23, 11:24*am, Michael Paris wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Julien Mills schrieb:
    >
    > > Hi all,

    > > This is sort of a strange thing, when I connect to our office
    > > through the vpn (road warrior) I cannot access our as400.
    > > I am using mocha, that doesn't work. *I tried telneting directly
    > > to the as400 from a command prompt, that doesn't work. *I can
    > > telnet from a command prompt to other computers in the office,
    > > that's fine. *Just not the as400s.

    > > Anyone else have something like this?

    > > Is there some issue with telnet or mocha through a vpn?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Julien

    > that sounds to me as if the default gateway on as400 is'nt setup
    > correctly. We are using Mochasoft over vpn without any problems.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Michael

    Or possibly NAT is setup.

  4. Re: Connect to as400 through vpn

    On Sep 23, 11:24*am, Michael Paris wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Julien Mills schrieb:
    >
    > > Hi all,

    > > This is sort of a strange thing, when Iconnectto our office
    > >throughthevpn(road warrior) I cannot access ouras400.
    > > I am using mocha, that doesn't work. *I tried telneting directly
    > > to theas400from a command prompt, that doesn't work. *I can
    > > telnet from a command prompt to other computers in the office,
    > > that's fine. *Just not the as400s.

    > > Anyone else have something like this?

    > > Is there some issue with telnet or mochathroughavpn?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Julien

    > that sounds to me as if the default gateway onas400is'nt setup
    > correctly. We are using Mochasoft overvpnwithout any problems.

    Maybe you are right, would the AS/400 be preventing me from
    logging in if, from vpn, I'm on the 192.168.10 subnet and it is
    on the 192.168.2 subnet? If so, can I add another gateway? Or
    what can I do?

  5. Re: Connect to as400 through vpn

    julienfmills@yahoo.com schrieb:
    > On Sep 23, 11:24 am, Michael Paris wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Julien Mills schrieb:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> This is sort of a strange thing, when Iconnectto our office
    >>> throughthevpn(road warrior) I cannot access ouras400.
    >>> I am using mocha, that doesn't work. I tried telneting directly
    >>> to theas400from a command prompt, that doesn't work. I can
    >>> telnet from a command prompt to other computers in the office,
    >>> that's fine. Just not the as400s.
    >>> Anyone else have something like this?
    >>> Is there some issue with telnet or mochathroughavpn?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Julien

    >> that sounds to me as if the default gateway onas400is'nt setup
    >> correctly. We are using Mochasoft overvpnwithout any problems.

    > Maybe you are right, would the AS/400 be preventing me from
    > logging in if, from vpn, I'm on the 192.168.10 subnet and it is
    > on the 192.168.2 subnet? If so, can I add another gateway? Or
    > what can I do?

    you have to setup a routing entry which points to network 192.168.10
    using the vpn gateway. The same had to be done with network 192.168.2 on
    your PC.

    Kind regards
    Michael

  6. Re: Connect to as400 through vpn

    > Anyone else have something like this?

    I've found it is easier, if you have an interface open to the outside
    world, to turn on the packet filtering and block port 23 and open up
    port 992 on the external interface. Configure the SSL options via DCM
    and then use mochasoft to connect with the SSL option turned on. Works
    like a champ, no VPN needed.

    Chris

  7. Re: Connect to as400 through vpn

    On Sep 26, 12:54*pm, Hal wrote:
    > > Anyone else have something like this?

    > I've found it is easier, if you have an interface open to the outside
    > world, to turn on the packet filtering and block port 23 and open up
    > port 992 on the external interface. Configure the SSL options via DCM
    > and then use mochasoft to connect with the SSL option turned on. Works
    > like a champ, no VPN needed.

    Thanks, that looks like a possibility, I'll have to see if I have DCM
    installed
    on my system. Still, I want to track down why this isn't working.
    And I
    need the vpn to allow users to retrieve their mail and to attach to
    another
    system.

  8. Re: Connect to as400 through vpn

    > Thanks, that looks like a possibility, I'll have to see if I have DCM
    > installed
    > on my system. Still, I want to track down why this isn't working.
    > And I
    > need the vpn to allow users to retrieve their mail and to attach to
    > another
    > system.

    The DCM and admin server is included with os/400, you can see if the
    server is running by going to http://x.x.x.x:2001 where the x's are
    your IP adress or if you have a host name for your box you can use
    that instead. If that doesn't work, issue a strtcpsvr server(*Http)
    httpsvr(*Admin) and try the URL again in a minute or two. Still no go?
    You'll have to dig up the install media and add it.

    If the admin instance starts up you will want to go to the digital
    certificate manager. You will need to create a certificate store, a
    certificate, and then assign that certificate to the telnet app. Then
    you have to restart telnet, at which point you should be able to issue
    a netstat *cnn and see a service listening on port 992. If you see a
    service listening on 992, launch mocha, turn on SSL and put the
    external IP of your as/400 into the host box and see if you can get
    connected. If so, you will want to either stop using the standard
    telnet client with the chgtelna command and set the "Allow secure
    socket layer" to *ONLY, if you do not have anyone connecting via
    unsecure 5250, or use the packet filtering rules to block access to
    port 23 from the outside world.

    Good luck with it.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread