encrypting backups - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on encrypting backups - IBM AS400 ; We would like to encrypt our iSeries backups. We have looked at buying an encrypting tape drive and tapes that support encryption, but it was too expensive due to the cost of replacing our tapes with LTO-4 It seems like ...

  1. encrypting backups

    We would like to encrypt our iSeries backups. We have looked at buying an
    encrypting tape drive and tapes that support encryption, but it was too
    expensive due to the cost of replacing our tapes with LTO-4

    It seems like the two major ways to encrypt backups left to us are to either
    buy a hardware device that sits between the iSeries and the tape drive, or
    buy encrypting software. Can anyone recommend which option is better,
    and/or recommend products?

    We need to keep our hardware at 9406-270, and our OS at v5r4. We are
    backing up onto a 3581 with LTO-1 tapes, and would like to keep it that way,
    to keep costs down. We have two iSeries systems, and our budget is around
    $5k per system. Can we afford anything?

    Any advice is welcome.
    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: encrypting backups

    I know Linoma Softeware has a reasonably price product.

  3. Re: encrypting backups

    On Sep 18, 12:47*pm, Falco wrote:
    > I know Linoma Softeware has a reasonably price product.

    How many tapes are you talking that you woud have to replace. I have
    a new drive that supports encryption, have not turned it on yet. The
    drive will support I believe encryption even on LTO3. Maybe the price
    difference might be worthwhile going to LTO3 "VS" LTO4. I don't know
    if I would want to be encrypting option 21 saves without the
    encryption technology at the OS level etc.

  4. Re: encrypting backups

    We would have to replace at least 60 tapes.
    I mentioned LTO4 because the device that the IBM business partner wanted to
    sell us could only back up onto LTO4 (it could restore from LTO2 and better)

    Jim

    "iseriesflorida" wrote in message
    On Sep 18, 12:47 pm, Falco wrote:
    > I know Linoma Softeware has a reasonably price product.

    How many tapes are you talking that you woud have to replace. I have
    a new drive that supports encryption, have not turned it on yet. The
    drive will support I believe encryption even on LTO3. Maybe the price
    difference might be worthwhile going to LTO3 "VS" LTO4. I don't know
    if I would want to be encrypting option 21 saves without the
    encryption technology at the OS level etc.

  5. Re: encrypting backups

    Jim Cooke wrote:
    > We would like to encrypt our iSeries backups. We have looked at buying
    > an encrypting tape drive and tapes that support encryption, but it was
    > too expensive due to the cost of replacing our tapes with LTO-4
    >
    > It seems like the two major ways to encrypt backups left to us are to
    > either buy a hardware device that sits between the iSeries and the tape
    > drive, or buy encrypting software. Can anyone recommend which option
    > is better, and/or recommend products?
    >
    > We need to keep our hardware at 9406-270, and our OS at v5r4. We are
    > backing up onto a 3581 with LTO-1 tapes, and would like to keep it that
    > way, to keep costs down. We have two iSeries systems, and our budget
    > is around $5k per system. Can we afford anything?
    >
    > Any advice is welcome.

    IIRC IBM i/OS 6.1 has software based encryption, or at least from BRMS.
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ncryptbrms.htm
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...icoverview.htm

    There is also the option of encrypting only that which needs to be
    encrypted as data at rest, and then leaving the save/restore & DR
    unchanged [other than keys, which is an issue with any encryption]. For
    some situations, that may be the only viable option anyway, to satisfy
    requirements which could lead to the desire to effect encrypted media.

    Regards, Chuck

+ Reply to Thread