Barcode printing on an IBM 6400 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Barcode printing on an IBM 6400 - IBM AS400 ; Hi. I'm trying to print a code39 barcode on an IBM 6400/6500 (ASCII Parallel) using the ASCII Transparency method. I've tried using control codes for character spacing and they seem to work just fine but not control codes for the ...

  1. Barcode printing on an IBM 6400

    Hi.

    I'm trying to print a code39 barcode on an IBM 6400/6500 (ASCII
    Parallel) using the ASCII Transparency method. I've tried using
    control codes for character spacing and they seem to work just fine
    but not control codes for the barcodes. The output I got only shows
    the human readable portion (at the bottom) but not the actual
    barcodes. What am I missing? Do I need an IPDS feature on the printer?

    Here's the actual code I used (print 12345678 as barcode followed by
    char ABCDEFGH) :

    FQSYSPRT2O F 132 PRINTER
    I X'03191B7C7D3B63433B- C HEX
    I '3F3132333435363738-
    I '3F4142434445464748'
    C EXCPTCONDIT
    C MOVE '1' *INLR
    OQSYSPRT2E 22 CONDIT
    O HEX

    And the printout looks like this:

    ABCDEFGH

    12345678

    I'll appreciate any help I can get....

    Thanks,
    Chanyouth

  2. Re: Barcode printing on an IBM 6400

    On Sep 17, 11:03*am, popthe...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm trying to print a code39 barcode on an IBM 6400/6500 (ASCII
    > Parallel) using the ASCII Transparency method. I've tried using
    > control codes for character spacing and they seem to work just fine
    > but not control codes for the barcodes. The output I got only shows
    > the human readable portion (at the bottom) but not the actual
    > barcodes. What am I missing? Do I need an IPDS feature on the printer?
    >
    > Here's the actual code I used (print 12345678 as barcode followed by
    > char ABCDEFGH) :
    >
    > FQSYSPRT2O * F * * 132 * * * * * *PRINTER
    > I * * * * * * *X'03191B7C7D3B63433B- C * * * * HEX
    > I * * * * * * *'3F3132333435363738-
    > I * * * * * * *'3F4142434445464748'
    > C * * * * * * * * * * EXCPTCONDIT
    > C * * * * * * * * * * MOVE '1' * * * *INLR
    > OQSYSPRT2E 22 * * * * * * CONDIT
    > O * * * * * * * * * * * * HEX
    >
    > And the printout looks like this:
    >
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ABCDEFGH
    >
    > *
    >
    > * * * 12345678
    >
    > I'll appreciate any help I can get....
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chanyouth

    It looks to me like you are printing some hex then 1-8 then A-H ?
    Can you verify the data is getting to the printer unmolested? Can you
    set the printer to hex mode as I used to be able with an old dot
    matrix? Cant help with the barcode hex formats, but of course your
    printer just needs to know what to do with it. I used some IPDS
    printers with the DDS BARCODE keyword but I dont have any idea what
    IBM 6400/6500 is capable of. I have used some other printers such as
    Zebra & Lexmark but they only did barcodes by sending a kind of markup
    language plaintext document to them

    Jonathan.

  3. Re: Barcode printing on an IBM 6400

    On Sep 17, 6:28 pm, Jonathan Bailey wrote:
    > On Sep 17, 11:03 am, popthe...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    > > Hi.

    > > I'm trying to print a code39 barcode on an IBM 6400/6500 (ASCII
    > > Parallel) using the ASCII Transparency method. I've tried using
    > > control codes for character spacing and they seem to work just fine
    > > but not control codes for the barcodes. The output I got only shows
    > > the human readable portion (at the bottom) but not the actual
    > > barcodes. What am I missing? Do I need an IPDS feature on the printer?

    > > Here's the actual code I used (print 12345678 as barcode followed by
    > > char ABCDEFGH) :

    > > FQSYSPRT2O F 132 PRINTER
    > > I X'03191B7C7D3B63433B- C HEX
    > > I '3F3132333435363738-
    > > I '3F4142434445464748'
    > > C EXCPTCONDIT
    > > C MOVE '1' *INLR
    > > OQSYSPRT2E 22 CONDIT
    > > O HEX

    > > And the printout looks like this:

    > > ABCDEFGH

    > > 12345678

    > > I'll appreciate any help I can get....

    > > Thanks,
    > > Chanyouth

    > It looks to me like you are printing some hex then 1-8 then A-H ?
    > Can you verify the data is getting to the printer unmolested? Can you
    > set the printer to hex mode as I used to be able with an old dot
    > matrix? Cant help with the barcode hex formats, but of course your
    > printer just needs to know what to do with it. I used some IPDS
    > printers with the DDS BARCODE keyword but I dont have any idea what
    > IBM 6400/6500 is capable of. I have used some other printers such as
    > Zebra & Lexmark but they only did barcodes by sending a kind of markup
    > language plaintext document to them
    >
    > Jonathan.

    Hi Jonathan,

    I've tried the Hex Dump function on the 6400 and I did get the hex
    data stream as expected (but what I expect might be wrong?). The
    printer seems to recognize the barcode control codes and data (since
    the human readable data is printed at the bottom of the missing
    barcode). I'm trying to avoid using the IPDS function since it seems I
    would need PSF400 LICPGM for an IPDS *LAN printing from the AS400...

    Chanyouth

  4. Re: Barcode printing on an IBM 6400

    On Sep 17, 4:02*pm, popthe...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Sep 17, 6:28 pm, Jonathan Bailey wrote:
    >

    > > On Sep 17, 11:03 am, popthe...@yahoo.com wrote:

    > > > Hi.

    > > > I'm trying to print a code39 barcode on an IBM 6400/6500 (ASCII
    > > > Parallel) using the ASCII Transparency method. I've tried using
    > > > control codes for character spacing and they seem to work just fine
    > > > but not control codes for the barcodes. The output I got only shows
    > > > the human readable portion (at the bottom) but not the actual
    > > > barcodes. What am I missing? Do I need an IPDS feature on the printer?

    > > > Here's the actual code I used (print 12345678 as barcode followed by
    > > > char ABCDEFGH) :

    > > > FQSYSPRT2O * F * * 132 * * * * * *PRINTER
    > > > I * * * * * * *X'03191B7C7D3B63433B- C * * * * HEX
    > > > I * * * * * * *'3F3132333435363738-
    > > > I * * * * * * *'3F4142434445464748'
    > > > C * * * * * * * * * * EXCPTCONDIT
    > > > C * * * * * * * * * * MOVE '1' * * * *INLR
    > > > OQSYSPRT2E 22 * * * * * * CONDIT
    > > > O * * * * * * * * * * * * HEX

    > > > And the printout looks like this:

    > > > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ABCDEFGH

    > > > *

    > > > * * * 12345678

    > > > I'll appreciate any help I can get....

    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Chanyouth

    > > It looks to me like you are printing some hex then 1-8 then A-H ?
    > > Can you verify the data is getting to the printer unmolested? Can you
    > > set the printer to hex mode as I used to be able with an old dot
    > > matrix? Cant help with the barcode hex formats, but of course your
    > > printer just needs to know what to do with it. I used some IPDS
    > > printers with the DDS BARCODE keyword but I dont have any idea what
    > > IBM 6400/6500 is capable of. I have used some other printers such as
    > > Zebra & Lexmark but they only did barcodes by sending a kind of markup
    > > language plaintext document to them

    > > Jonathan.

    > Hi Jonathan,
    >
    > I've tried the Hex Dump function on the 6400 and I did get the hex
    > data stream as expected (but what I expect might be wrong?). The
    > printer seems to recognize the barcode control codes and data (since
    > the human readable data is printed at the bottom of the missing
    > barcode). I'm trying to avoid using the IPDS function since it seems I
    > would need PSF400 LICPGM for an IPDS *LAN printing from the AS400...
    >
    > Chanyouth- Hide quoted text -

    So if the data is getting to the printer correctly either the data is
    wrong, maybe the printer just ignores the 1st line of hex (or some of
    it) & just prints 1-8, or maybe you have set the black line thickness
    to small, or maybe it fully understands the data but dosnt have the
    correct fonts, or something else?

    Can you print barcodes from another source say a windows pc? If so set
    it to hex mode & 'steal' the data from there. You might find the
    windows driver changes a windows font to bitmap & sends a couple of kb
    to the printer. You could try windows print to file & examine that
    directly. I dont think I can help much more than that, sorry.

    Jonathan

  5. Re: Barcode printing on an IBM 6400

    Problem solved!!! I upgraded the firmware on the printer and the bar
    codes are now printing correctly... Thanks for your suggestions
    anyway, Jonathan.

    Chanyouth

+ Reply to Thread