Client Access licences - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Client Access licences - IBM AS400 ; I have a client running V4R4 on a Model 170 who only purchased licences for two users. I have tried without success to obtain more licences, but one of the companies I contacted suggested that as IBM cannot sell the ...

  1. Client Access licences

    I have a client running V4R4 on a Model 170 who only purchased licences for
    two users. I have tried without success to obtain more licences, but one of
    the companies I contacted suggested that as IBM cannot sell the licences,
    they would not be upset if I changed the number to *NOMAX.
    As an alternative, the emulator from MochaSoft feels very similar, but does
    not appear to support printer emulation.
    Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions please.

    Many thanks

    Peter

  2. Re: Client Access licences

    On Sep 17, 2:30*am, "Peter Kinsman"
    wrote:
    > I have a client running V4R4 on a Model 170 who only purchased licences for
    > two users. *I have tried without success to obtain more licences, but one of
    > the companies I contacted suggested that as IBM cannot sell the licences,
    > they would not be upset if I changed the number to *NOMAX.
    > As an alternative, the emulator from MochaSoft feels very similar, but does
    > not appear to support printer emulation.
    > Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions please.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Peter

    So long as MOCHA can get the job done for you I would use it. If you
    do not need virtual printing and can do TCPIP based printing then I
    would use that. I would keep the 2 licenses of CA around for securty
    purposes, at least with the 2 licenses you can use the product and
    still do adminstration of the machine with CA.

  3. Re: Client Access licences

    "Peter Kinsman" writes:

    Hi,

    > I have a client running V4R4 on a Model 170 who only purchased licences for
    > two users. I have tried without success to obtain more licences, but one of
    > the companies I contacted suggested that as IBM cannot sell the licences,
    > they would not be upset if I changed the number to *NOMAX.
    > As an alternative, the emulator from MochaSoft feels very similar, but does
    > not appear to support printer emulation.
    > Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions please.

    http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/
    http://tn5250j.sourceforge.net/

    HTH

    --
    «Dès que je clique sur "mount", il ne fait rien et le cdrom
    reste "unmount".

  4. Re: Client Access licences

    I ran 2 170's on V4R4 and a 720 on such and never ever used client
    access. Never found any need for it. I happen to use es/tcp by
    ringdale/nlynx however have also used bosanova's tcpip emulator. Both
    support printing and work just fine. I got a brand new ibm i M25, and
    the client access sits in the box, not used (o.k. it runs on the
    master console because it is required to). I never saw what the big
    deal was about it.

    chris

    On Sep 17, 7:02*am, Eric Masson wrote:
    > "Peter Kinsman" writes:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > > I have a client running V4R4 on a Model 170 who only purchased licencesfor
    > > two users. *I have tried without success to obtain more licences, butone of
    > > the companies I contacted suggested that as IBM cannot sell the licences,
    > > they would not be upset if I changed the number to *NOMAX.
    > > As an alternative, the emulator from MochaSoft feels very similar, but does
    > > not appear to support printer emulation.
    > > Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions please.

    > http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/http:/...urceforge.net/
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > *«Dès que je clique sur "mount", il ne fait rien et le cdrom
    > *reste "unmount".
    > *Quel est le pb ?»
    > *-+- Popol in Guide du linuxien pervers : "De l'avantage des interfaces...." -+-

+ Reply to Thread