Need VB .NET example - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Need VB .NET example - IBM AS400 ; Hi everyone, I would really like to find one simple example program written in VB .net or ASP .net that just accepts an account number and updates a single indexed file on an as400. Does anyone know where such examples ...

  1. Need VB .NET example

    Hi everyone,

    I would really like to find one simple example program written in VB .net or
    ASP .net that just accepts an account number and updates a single indexed
    file on an as400. Does anyone know where such examples can be found?
    I've searched all through the redbooks and what example code there is seems
    to be focused elsewhere.
    Thanks in advance,
    Joe in Florida

  2. Re: Need VB .NET example

    On Sep 17, 2:00*am, "Darth" wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I would really like to find one simple example program written in VB .netor
    > ASP .net that just accepts an account number and updates a single indexed
    > file on an as400. Does anyone know where such examples can be found?
    > I've searched all through the redbooks and what example code there is seems
    > to be focused elsewhere.
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Joe in Florida

    I do aspx.net as part of my job & have never found a simple real life
    program to work. We update an mssqlserver db then use schedlued dts
    packages to update as400 files. However I have tried with an IBM sql
    connection from the client access install & managed to run a couple of
    queries. I dont think I used a stored proc, just plain text but I dont
    see why you shouldnt be able to get it to work almost the same as
    mssql. You have to add a reference to the ibmdll which takes some
    finding iirc. You could alternatively try odbc as a connection type,
    again using the driver from client access.

    Jonathan.

  3. Re: Need VB .NET example

    This is advice rather than .net content.
    In the past, I have read that to update an AS/400 file, the file had to be
    journalled. On page 497 of the MC Press publication Desktop Encyclopedia of
    Tips, Techniques and Programming Practices, I read that the file must have a
    unique key. This used to be the default in the System/34 System/36 world,
    but needs to be explicit in the DDS.
    Having got that bit right, I found that an Access query could not update the
    file, but an SQL update using IBMDA400 could. I don't know if that is
    available in .net, but it seems reliable in VBA.

    Bets of luck

    Peter

    "Darth" wrote in message
    news:48d056a4$0$5552$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I would really like to find one simple example program written in VB .net
    > or ASP .net that just accepts an account number and updates a single
    > indexed file on an as400. Does anyone know where such examples can be
    > found?
    > I've searched all through the redbooks and what example code there is
    > seems to be focused elsewhere.
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Joe in Florida

  4. Re: Need VB .NET example

    Peter Kinsman wrote:
    > This is advice rather than .net content.
    > In the past, I have read that to update an AS/400 file, the file had to be
    > journalled. On page 497 of the MC Press publication Desktop Encyclopedia of
    > Tips, Techniques and Programming Practices, I read that the file must have a
    > unique key. This used to be the default in the System/34 System/36 world,
    > but needs to be explicit in the DDS.
    > Having got that bit right, I found that an Access query could not update the
    > file, but an SQL update using IBMDA400 could. I don't know if that is
    > available in .net, but it seems reliable in VBA.
    >
    > "Darth" wrote in message
    > news:48d056a4$0$5552$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I would really like to find one simple example program written in VB .net
    >> or ASP .net that just accepts an account number and updates a single
    >> indexed file on an as400. Does anyone know where such examples can be
    >> found?
    >> I've searched all through the redbooks and what example code there is
    >> seems to be focused elsewhere.
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Joe in Florida

    No VBA/.net expertise here, but perhaps this article would help? :
    http://www.mcpressonline.com/databas...r-iseries.html

    A file (table) needs to be journaled if commitment control is used. If a
    connection uses COMMIT(*NONE) [aka "no commit"], journaling is not
    required. There is normally a connection attribute to set this (eg in ODBC):
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...dsservprop.htm
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...afzmstisol.htm

    The AS/400|iSeries|System i does not require a unique key for SQL access
    - if such a requirement exists, it may be from VBA/.net?

    --
    Karl Hanson

  5. Re: Need VB .NET example

    On Sep 16, 6:00*pm, "Darth" wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I would really like to find one simple example program written in VB .netor
    > ASP .net that just accepts an account number and updates a single indexed
    > file on an as400. Does anyone know where such examples can be found?
    > I've searched all through the redbooks and what example code there is seems
    > to be focused elsewhere.
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Joe in Florida

    I have something done in excel using VBA, to connect to As400, and SQL
    statement to update file on the 400. is this something your interested
    in seeing?

  6. Re: Need VB .NET example

    Thank you for the offer.

    I'm looking more in the developer studio 6 or .net direction. I'm just
    starting to learn the dot net.

    wrote in message
    On Sep 16, 6:00 pm, "Darth" wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I would really like to find one simple example program written in VB .net
    > or
    > ASP .net that just accepts an account number and updates a single indexed
    > file on an as400. Does anyone know where such examples can be found?
    > I've searched all through the redbooks and what example code there is
    > seems
    > to be focused elsewhere.
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Joe in Florida

    I have something done in excel using VBA, to connect to As400, and SQL
    statement to update file on the 400. is this something your interested
    in seeing?

+ Reply to Thread