model 270 add more twinax terminals - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on model 270 add more twinax terminals - IBM AS400 ; I teach Computer Networking at a two year college, so I understand computers pretty well. My college has an AS400/I5 model 270 and we had someone donate a large pile of terminals for it. I have 8 terminals at present ...

  1. model 270 add more twinax terminals

    I teach Computer Networking at a two year college, so I understand
    computers pretty well. My college has an AS400/I5 model 270 and we
    had someone donate a large pile of terminals for it. I have 8
    terminals at present connected through a 2746 card and twinax brick.
    I had someone donate a 2722 card and another twinax brick, when I
    tried to install the card the system see it, I went followed the IBM
    documentation on how to check the card out and it showed both the 2746
    and 2722 in the system and they were powered on. I connected all the
    terminals up but none of the new terminals, on the second brick, will
    connect, the original 8 are still fine. Any help here would be
    appreciated. I have hunted all over the net and all over IBM for help
    but no luck. We do not have a service contract with IBM, all the
    equipment was donated, so I have to do this on my own. We use this to
    teach students basic AS400/i5 systems, several businesses around here
    have them and want their IT personnel trained on basic operations.
    Please ask send me any questions you have or suggestions. Thanks

  2. Re: model 270 add more twinax terminals

    On Sep 15, 10:53*am, scottie4442 wrote:
    > I teach Computer Networking at a two year college, so I understand
    > computers pretty well. *My college has an AS400/I5 model 270 and we
    > had someone donate a large pile of terminals for it. *I have 8
    > terminals at present connected through a 2746 card and twinax brick.
    > I had someone donate a 2722 card and another twinax brick, when I
    > tried to install the card the system see it, I went followed the IBM
    > documentation on how to check the card out and it showed both the 2746
    > and 2722 in the system and they were powered on. *I connected all the
    > terminals up but none of the new terminals, on the second brick, will
    > connect, the original 8 are still fine. *Any help here would be
    > appreciated. *I have hunted all over the net and all over IBM for help
    > but no luck. *We do not have a service contract with IBM, all the
    > equipment was donated, so I have to do this on my own. *We use this to
    > teach students basic AS400/i5 systems, several businesses around here
    > have them and want their IT personnel trained on basic operations.
    > Please ask send me any questions you have or suggestions. *Thanks

    Do you know the controller name, do a wrkcfgsts *ctl *lws and see if
    your 2722 is varied on. If it is not then your devices will not come
    up.

  3. Re: model 270 add more twinax terminals

    > connect, the original 8 are still fine. *Any help here would be
    > appreciated. *I have hunted all over the net and all over IBM for help
    > but no luck. *We do not have a service contract with IBM, all the
    > equipment was donated, so I have to do this on my own. *We use this to
    > teach students basic AS400/i5 systems, several businesses around here
    > have them and want their IT personnel trained on basic operations.
    > Please ask send me any questions you have or suggestions. *Thanks

    It's been a while since I've set up a dumb terminal but one thing did
    come to mind. Did you turn on the auto-config? System value QAUTOCFG.
    Set that to a '1', then ensure that your terminals have a valid twin-
    ax switch setting and power them up. If the controller is present on
    the system it should auto-detect and add the new terminals. They all
    must have unique switch settings if using the same port on the
    'brick'.

    Chris

  4. Re: model 270 add more twinax terminals

    scottie4442 wrote:
    > I teach Computer Networking at a two year college, so I understand
    > computers pretty well. My college has an AS400/I5 model 270 and we
    > had someone donate a large pile of terminals for it. I have 8
    > terminals at present connected through a 2746 card and twinax brick.
    > I had someone donate a 2722 card and another twinax brick, when I
    > tried to install the card the system see it, I went followed the IBM
    > documentation on how to check the card out and it showed both the 2746
    > and 2722 in the system and they were powered on. I connected all the
    > terminals up but none of the new terminals, on the second brick, will
    > connect, the original 8 are still fine. Any help here would be
    > appreciated. I have hunted all over the net and all over IBM for help
    > but no luck. We do not have a service contract with IBM, all the
    > equipment was donated, so I have to do this on my own. We use this to
    > teach students basic AS400/i5 systems, several businesses around here
    > have them and want their IT personnel trained on basic operations.
    > Please ask send me any questions you have or suggestions. Thanks

    Couldn't you better use TCP/IP ??

  5. Re: model 270 add more twinax terminals

    I am using baluns to connect the terminals, was cheaper than buying
    twinax cable. Using baluns I can only connect one terminal to each
    port on the brick.

    On Sep 15, 4:15*pm, gb wrote:
    > scottie4442 wrote:
    > > I teach Computer Networking at a two year college, so I understand
    > > computers pretty well. *My college has an AS400/I5 model 270 and we
    > > had someone donate a large pile of terminals for it. *I have 8
    > > terminals at present connected through a 2746 card and twinax brick.
    > > I had someone donate a 2722 card and another twinax brick, when I
    > > tried to install the card the system see it, I went followed the IBM
    > > documentation on how to check the card out and it showed both the 2746
    > > and 2722 in the system and they were powered on. *I connected all the
    > > terminals up but none of the new terminals, on the second brick, will
    > > connect, the original 8 are still fine. *Any help here would be
    > > appreciated. *I have hunted all over the net and all over IBM for help
    > > but no luck. *We do not have a service contract with IBM, all the
    > > equipment was donated, so I have to do this on my own. *We use this to
    > > teach students basic AS400/i5 systems, several businesses around here
    > > have them and want their IT personnel trained on basic operations.
    > > Please ask send me any questions you have or suggestions. *Thanks

    > You say that you have connected 8 terminals to the brick. However, the
    > brick will support 56 terminals (8 x 7) if you daisy chain the terminals
    > together and each terminal has a unique address on the chain. You can
    > connect them together using twinax cable or Cat5 if you have the baluns
    > (converters) from twinax-Cat5.
    >
    > This might be easier than getting the second w/c controller working.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > GB

  6. Re: model 270 add more twinax terminals

    On Sep 16, 2:02*am, "Ace" wrote:
    > scottie4442 wrote:
    > > I teach Computer Networking at a two year college, so I understand
    > > computers pretty well. *My college has an AS400/I5 model 270 and we
    > > had someone donate a large pile of terminals for it. *I have 8
    > > terminals at present connected through a 2746 card and twinax brick.
    > > I had someone donate a 2722 card and another twinax brick, when I
    > > tried to install the card the system see it, I went followed the IBM
    > > documentation on how to check the card out and it showed both the 2746
    > > and 2722 in the system and they were powered on. *I connected all the
    > > terminals up but none of the new terminals, on the second brick, will
    > > connect, the original 8 are still fine. *Any help here would be
    > > appreciated. *I have hunted all over the net and all over IBM for help
    > > but no luck. *We do not have a service contract with IBM, all the
    > > equipment was donated, so I have to do this on my own. *We use this to
    > > teach students basic AS400/i5 systems, several businesses around here
    > > have them and want their IT personnel trained on basic operations.
    > > Please ask send me any questions you have or suggestions. *Thanks

    > Couldn't you better use TCP/IP ??

    Yes but then I would have to pay out for licensing fees for the
    software to connect the PCs to the AS400, the terminals, twinax bricks
    and boards to connect twinax were given to the schools.

  7. Re: model 270 add more twinax terminals

    scottie4442 wrote:
    > I am using baluns to connect the terminals, was cheaper than buying
    > twinax cable. Using baluns I can only connect one terminal to each
    > port on the brick.

    Yes, but you have to "daisy chain" the terminals.
    Each twinax terminal should have two twinax connections. One is going in
    into the terminal the other is coming out and is used to connect the second
    terminal and so on.
    This way you can connect 7 terimals.
    Take care that each terminal has a unique terminal id. You set this terminal
    id by on-off switching 3 switches, having the values 1, 2 and 4.

    Ace

    > On Sep 15, 4:15 pm, gb wrote:
    >> scottie4442 wrote:
    >>> I teach Computer Networking at a two year college, so I understand
    >>> computers pretty well. My college has an AS400/I5 model 270 and we
    >>> had someone donate a large pile of terminals for it. I have 8
    >>> terminals at present connected through a 2746 card and twinax brick.
    >>> I had someone donate a 2722 card and another twinax brick, when I
    >>> tried to install the card the system see it, I went followed the IBM
    >>> documentation on how to check the card out and it showed both the
    >>> 2746 and 2722 in the system and they were powered on. I connected
    >>> all the terminals up but none of the new terminals, on the second
    >>> brick, will connect, the original 8 are still fine. Any help here
    >>> would be appreciated. I have hunted all over the net and all over
    >>> IBM for help but no luck. We do not have a service contract with
    >>> IBM, all the equipment was donated, so I have to do this on my own.
    >>> We use this to teach students basic AS400/i5 systems, several
    >>> businesses around here have them and want their IT personnel
    >>> trained on basic operations. Please ask send me any questions you
    >>> have or suggestions. Thanks

    >> You say that you have connected 8 terminals to the brick. However,
    >> the brick will support 56 terminals (8 x 7) if you daisy chain the
    >> terminals together and each terminal has a unique address on the
    >> chain. You can connect them together using twinax cable or Cat5 if
    >> you have the baluns (converters) from twinax-Cat5.
    >>
    >> This might be easier than getting the second w/c controller working.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> GB

  8. Re: model 270 add more twinax terminals

    > Take care that each terminal has a unique terminal id. You set this terminal
    > id by on-off switching 3 switches, having the values 1, 2 and 4.

    Depends on the terminal. The IDEA terminals I use are software set for
    the 'switch setting'. To complicate matters further, the twin-ax
    adapter piece on some terminals has an auto-terminate plug, others
    have a switch. The last device on the chain has to have either a
    physical terminator, a terminator switch, or an auto-set cable.
    Without the terminator the whole thing falls apart. Failing that, you
    can use a twin-ax printer to terminate the cable, 3262/5262 models
    have a switch for the terminator(and yes, I still have some that
    work...a testament to good engineering), 6252's, 4600/4700's and so on
    are all set via software/ control panel.

    Someone mentioned using TCP/IP. By far, this is a whole lot easier to
    do -if- your as/400 has an Ethernet card(2838 or similar..). Download
    a copy of Mochasoft and have at it, that's the quickest way I know of
    to establish a 5250 session once your as/400 is on the network.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread