Possible to Boot Linux on 9406-810 without OS/400? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Possible to Boot Linux on 9406-810 without OS/400? - IBM AS400 ; I have a hand-me-down 810 with no Operating System installed on its hard disk. Will anything boot natively on the machine other than OS/ 400 or i5/OS? Thanks....

  1. Possible to Boot Linux on 9406-810 without OS/400?

    I have a hand-me-down 810 with no Operating System installed on its
    hard disk. Will anything boot natively on the machine other than OS/
    400 or i5/OS?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Possible to Boot Linux on 9406-810 without OS/400?

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:38:37 -0700 (PDT), greymeister@gmail.com wrote:

    >I have a hand-me-down 810 with no Operating System installed on its
    >hard disk. Will anything boot natively on the machine other than OS/
    >400 or i5/OS?

    depending on the system type and configuration you might try some linux (those
    for ppc) distro. On some of the older machines it didn't work.

  3. Re: Possible to Boot Linux on 9406-810 without OS/400?

    il 10/09/2008 5.38, Scrive greymeister@gmail.com 43190976:
    > I have a hand-me-down 810 with no Operating System installed on its
    > hard disk. Will anything boot natively on the machine other than OS/
    > 400 or i5/OS?
    >
    > Thanks.

    No way on 810.
    To run an "uncapped" Linux you need an power5 system with hmc (otherwise
    there's no way to install Linux) 810 model is not power5 nor can be hmc
    attached.

  4. Re: Possible to Boot Linux on 9406-810 without OS/400?

    On Sep 10, 4:59 am, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    wrote:
    > il 10/09/2008 5.38, Scrive greymeis...@gmail.com 43190976:> I have a hand-me-down 810 with no Operating System installed on its
    > > hard disk. Will anythingbootnatively on the machine other thanOS/> 400or i5/OS?

    > > Thanks.

    > No way on 810.
    > To run an "uncapped"Linuxyou need an power5 system with hmc (otherwise
    > there's no way to installLinux) 810 model is not power5 nor can be hmc
    > attached.
    >
    > --
    > Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    > Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    > Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    > schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'

    Thanks for the info even if it's frustrating to hear. I guess the
    machine is just eBay fodder if it can only boot something from IBM.

+ Reply to Thread