DOMWriter, setEncoding(): Where is a list of supported encodings? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on DOMWriter, setEncoding(): Where is a list of supported encodings? - IBM AS400 ; According to http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm.../x-serial.html : "If you wish to have more encodings support -- say in Shift-JIS or Big5 -- then you may wish to use XML4C which integrates the Xerces-C++ parser with IBM's International Components for Unicode (ICU) and extends ...

  1. DOMWriter, setEncoding(): Where is a list of supported encodings?

    According to http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm.../x-serial.html
    :

    "If you wish to have more encodings support -- say in Shift-JIS or
    Big5 -- then you may wish to use XML4C which integrates the Xerces-C++
    parser with IBM's International Components for Unicode (ICU) and
    extends the support to over 100 different encodings."

    This is great, except where do you find this of encodings? My initial
    Googling has turned up nada. At the basic level, I'd like to write
    the native UTF-8 or UTF-16 into EBCDIC of course for the 400.
    Incidentally, this article references EBCDIC code pages IBM037 and
    IBM1140. 37 I'm familiar with. Where in general can I get a big
    scoop 'o character encodings?

  2. Re: DOMWriter, setEncoding(): Where is a list of supported encodings?

    Mr. K.V.B.L. wrote:
    > According to http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm.../x-serial.html
    > :
    >
    > "If you wish to have more encodings support -- say in Shift-JIS or
    > Big5 -- then you may wish to use XML4C which integrates the Xerces-C++
    > parser with IBM's International Components for Unicode (ICU) and
    > extends the support to over 100 different encodings."
    >
    > This is great, except where do you find this of encodings? My initial
    > Googling has turned up nada. At the basic level, I'd like to write
    > the native UTF-8 or UTF-16 into EBCDIC of course for the 400.
    > Incidentally, this article references EBCDIC code pages IBM037 and
    > IBM1140. 37 I'm familiar with. Where in general can I get a big
    > scoop 'o character encodings?

    Here's one place in InfoCenter;
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...nformation.htm

    --
    Karl Hanson

  3. Re: DOMWriter, setEncoding(): Where is a list of supported encodings?

    il 05/09/2008 4.47, Scrive Mr. K.V.B.L. 43646008:
    > According to http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm.../x-serial.html
    > :
    >
    > "If you wish to have more encodings support -- say in Shift-JIS or
    > Big5 -- then you may wish to use XML4C which integrates the Xerces-C++
    > parser with IBM's International Components for Unicode (ICU) and
    > extends the support to over 100 different encodings."
    >
    > This is great, except where do you find this of encodings? My initial
    > Googling has turned up nada. At the basic level, I'd like to write
    > the native UTF-8 or UTF-16 into EBCDIC of course for the 400.
    > Incidentally, this article references EBCDIC code pages IBM037 and
    > IBM1140. 37 I'm familiar with. Where in general can I get a big
    > scoop 'o character encodings?

    Starting from here
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...globalmain.htm
    should be a good choice.

  4. Re: DOMWriter, setEncoding(): Where is a list of supported encodings?

    On Sep 5, 1:33*am, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    wrote:
    > > This is great, except where do you find this of encodings? *My initial
    > > Googling has turned up nada. *At the basic level, I'd like to write
    > > the native UTF-8 or UTF-16 into EBCDIC of course for the 400.
    > > Incidentally, this article references EBCDIC code pages IBM037 and
    > > IBM1140. *37 I'm familiar with. *Where in general can I get a big
    > > scoop 'o character encodings?

    > Starting from herehttp://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic...
    > should be a good choice.

    Ok, great. So, I'm guessing I use CCSIDs like so:

    DOMWriter *domWriter;
    domWriter.setEncoding("00037"); // for EBCDIC
    domWriter.setEncoding("01208"); // for UTF-8

    Examples I'd found on the net used things like
    "...setEncoding("UTF-8");

    Anyway, I'll whip up a quick program and see what it does.

  5. Re: DOMWriter, setEncoding(): Where is a list of supported encodings?

    On Sep 4, 9:47*pm, "Mr. K.V.B.L." wrote:
    > According tohttp://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-serial.html
    > :
    >
    > "If you wish to have more encodings support -- say in Shift-JIS or
    > Big5 -- then you may wish to use XML4C which integrates the Xerces-C++
    > parser with IBM's International Components for Unicode (ICU) and
    > extends the support to over 100 different encodings."

    XML4C on IBM i uses iconv, not ICU. Just keep that in mind when you
    are reading about it.

    > This is great, except where do you find this of encodings? *My initial
    > Googling has turned up nada. *At the basic level, I'd like to write
    > the native UTF-8 or UTF-16 into EBCDIC of course for the 400.
    > Incidentally, this article references EBCDIC code pages IBM037 and
    > IBM1140. *37 I'm familiar with. *Where in general can I get a big
    > scoop 'o character encodings?

    In addition to the IBM i specific ones the other replies mentioned I
    find this one useful:

    http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

    It lists the "official" aliases used by various encodings/character
    sets/etc.

  6. Re: DOMWriter, setEncoding(): Where is a list of supported encodings?

    On Sep 5, 9:17*am, "Mr. K.V.B.L." wrote:
    > Examples I'd found on the net used things like
    > "...setEncoding("UTF-8");
    >
    > Anyway, I'll whip up a quick program and see what it does.

    In looking through some XML documents on an IBM i I saw "IBM037",
    "ISO-8859-1", "UTF-16" and "UTF-16" used for encodings. Those all
    correspond to the "names" from that web page I referred to in my other
    reply. Capitalization doesn't seem to matter.

+ Reply to Thread