how do I import csv file - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on how do I import csv file - IBM AS400 ; I have a land file downloaded from the property appraiser's web site as a ..csv file, that I can open in excel. I've tried exporting to text but nothing lines up. I've tried importing from csv into access and sql ...

  1. how do I import csv file

    I have a land file downloaded from the property appraiser's web site as a
    ..csv file, that I can open in excel.

    I've tried exporting to text but nothing lines up.

    I've tried importing from csv into access and sql server, but the file I get
    on my AS400 after I transfer it with client access has some type of tabs or
    something between fields, and the AS400 gives a message that data is invalid
    and it will not even read it.

    How would you go about getting a file of names, addresses, parcel codes,
    etc. from my PC into an AS400?

    Thank you in advance for your help,
    Joe in Florida

  2. Re: how do I import csv file

    Joe,

    I use the following steps all the time.

    1) I would leave the file in a .CSV format.

    2) Create a physical database file with a format matching the columns
    in your CSV file.

    3) Use your PC to copy the CSV file to a directory in the IFS that is
    visible on your LAN as a server disk.

    4) Use the CPYFRMIMPF command to convert the CSV file which has
    *PCASCII data coding into internal EBCIDIC format of a standard SYS-i
    database file.

    Mike

    "Darth" wrote in message
    news:48c0899b$0$11757$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosti ng.com...
    |I have a land file downloaded from the property appraiser's web site
    as a
    | .csv file, that I can open in excel.
    |
    | I've tried exporting to text but nothing lines up.
    |
    | I've tried importing from csv into access and sql server, but the
    file I get
    | on my AS400 after I transfer it with client access has some type of
    tabs or
    | something between fields, and the AS400 gives a message that data is
    invalid
    | and it will not even read it.
    |
    | How would you go about getting a file of names, addresses, parcel
    codes,
    | etc. from my PC into an AS400?
    |
    | Thank you in advance for your help,
    | Joe in Florida

  3. Re: how do I import csv file

    "Darth" wrote in message
    news:48c0899b$0$11757$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosti ng.com...
    |I have a land file downloaded from the property appraiser's web site
    as a
    | .csv file, that I can open in excel.
    |
    | I've tried exporting to text but nothing lines up.
    |
    | I've tried importing from csv into access and sql server, but the
    file I get
    | on my AS400 after I transfer it with client access has some type of
    tabs or
    | something between fields, and the AS400 gives a message that data is
    invalid
    | and it will not even read it.
    |
    | How would you go about getting a file of names, addresses, parcel
    codes,
    | etc. from my PC into an AS400?
    |
    | Thank you in advance for your help,
    | Joe in Florida

  4. Re: how do I import csv file

    On Sep 5, 2:21*am, "Darth" wrote:
    > I have a land file downloaded from the property appraiser's web site as a
    > .csv file, that I can open in excel.
    >
    > I've tried exporting to text but nothing lines up.
    >
    > I've tried importing from csv into access and sql server, but the file I get
    > on my AS400 after I transfer it with client access has some type of tabs or
    > something between fields, and the AS400 gives a message that data is invalid
    > and it will not even read it.
    >
    > How would you go about getting a file of names, addresses, parcel codes,
    > etc. from my PC into an AS400?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help,
    > Joe in Florida

    I saw something like this recently but have forgotten some of the
    details. From a DOS/cmd prompt type debug then your filename. Next
    enter D, maybe a couple of times. You should see the file data in hex
    & ascii. I think we got some 7F chars in there which I couldnot remove
    from the IFS file. Try removing these from the data using excel using
    trim()

    Jonathan.

  5. Re: how do I import csv file

    If you use Client access, then you can use the "Data transfer to
    Iseries" From this you can create the file and then populate it, I
    use this all the time, and it is very easy to use.

    On Sep 4, 6:21*pm, "Darth" wrote:
    > I have a land file downloaded from the property appraiser's web site as a
    > .csv file, that I can open in excel.
    >
    > I've tried exporting to text but nothing lines up.
    >
    > I've tried importing from csv into access and sql server, but the file I get
    > on my AS400 after I transfer it with client access has some type of tabs or
    > something between fields, and the AS400 gives a message that data is invalid
    > and it will not even read it.
    >
    > How would you go about getting a file of names, addresses, parcel codes,
    > etc. from my PC into an AS400?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help,
    > Joe in Florida

  6. Re: how do I import csv file

    > How would you go about getting a file of names, addresses, parcel codes,
    > etc. from my PC into an AS400?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help,
    > Joe in Florida

    If you have Client Access installed WITH the excel plug-in, AND you
    only have one window in Excel open, you can do the import directly
    from Excel, the client access toolbar is usually visible below the
    Edit menu.

    Alternatively, you can manually launch the Data Transfer to iSeries
    program from Start -> Program Files -> IBM iSeries Access for Windows
    -> Data Transfer to iSeries Server. Click on the Tools menu and select
    Create iSeries database file.

    Just as a heads up, if you follow the wizard and create the file on
    the iSeries it will bring you back to the main Data transfer screen.
    If you click the transfer button to move the data into the file you
    just created, it won't work. You need to add (Yourfilenamegoeshere)
    onto the end of whatever is in Library/File(Member) box.

    Unless you are into pain and like database challenges, I would suggest
    that you try to keep the member name the same as the file name or you
    will quickly become well-versed in the area of SQL aliases to get at
    your data.

    Good luck with it.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread