File format name - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on File format name - IBM AS400 ; Another puzzle I am afraid, this time a file format name. I have a client who append each day's invoices to a file so that at the end of each week they can be printed in Customer sequence. The name ...

  1. File format name

    Another puzzle I am afraid, this time a file format name.
    I have a client who append each day's invoices to a file so that at the end
    of each week they can be printed in Customer sequence. The name of the
    accumulating flat file is TWD.AINV. When the invoices are printed, this is
    renamed to PIddmmyy for posterity. The new TWD.AINV is created not at this
    stage, but by a BLDFILE when the next invoices are generated - by an evoked
    job. The format name is H74.IN?WS? - which is the name of a file used for
    Goods Inwards reports in another library.
    // IFF DATAF1-TWD.AINV BLDFILE TWD.AINV,S,RECORDS,100,160

    I only found about this when I added a query to list the Invoice numbers
    printed, which of course fails if the file does not have the expected format
    name.

    Any suggestions please?

    Thanks again

    Peter Kinsman

  2. Re: File format name

    Is it failing because it is not out there or because the file is
    empty?

    I am guessing the first which is easily resolved by when the rename
    happens you do a bldfile of the file. Or you copydata the file to the
    new labeld and do a clrpf.

    On Sep 4, 10:10*am, "Peter Kinsman"
    wrote:
    > Another puzzle I am afraid, this time a file format name.
    > I have a client who append each day's invoices to a file so that at the end
    > of each week they can be printed in Customer sequence. *The name of the
    > accumulating flat file is TWD.AINV. *When the invoices are printed, this is
    > renamed to PIddmmyy for posterity. *The new TWD.AINV is created not at this
    > stage, but by a BLDFILE when the next invoices are generated - by an evoked
    > job. *The format name is H74.IN?WS? - which is the name of a file used for
    > Goods Inwards reports in another library.
    > // IFF DATAF1-TWD.AINV BLDFILE TWD.AINV,S,RECORDS,100,160
    >
    > I only found about this when I added a query to list the Invoice numbers
    > printed, which of course fails if the file does not have the expected format
    > name.
    >
    > Any suggestions please?
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > Peter Kinsman