Missing old system values after a total system restore option 21 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Missing old system values after a total system restore option 21 - IBM AS400 ; We had a curious incident: after failing a disk in a raid 5, it started corruption on the other disks of the array. Consecuences: a total system restore was required. (V5R4M0) IBM personnel used customer lic and os CDs in ...

  1. Missing old system values after a total system restore option 21

    We had a curious incident: after failing a disk in a raid 5, it started
    corruption on the other disks of the array.

    Consecuences: a total system restore was required. (V5R4M0)

    IBM personnel used customer lic and os CDs in order to start DST instead of
    the last tape generated with option 21 of system menu GO SAVE.

    After exchanging some hardware parts disks etc .
    They managed to restore raid protection and leved the OS intalled from
    original CDs.

    Consecuences, as we where in a much higher level of PTFs of the original
    V5R4M0, we decided to use the bakup tape in order to load latest nmicrocode
    (with latests PTFs) saved onto it.

    Then, selected to install operating system, and then GO RESTORE option 21

    Everything seemed to go OK, but nor system values nor net atributes were
    restored as they where, the firt clue, was that after the next IPL the
    system name was the serial mumber of the machine.

    I understood that all this information: SYSTEM VALUES and NET ATTRIBUTES
    where stored in QUSRSYS ... and so, restored from option 21

    I do not understand what happened.

    ¿ Any clue ? why they remained the original Cd values and not the restored
    ones after option 21?

    ¿ Should I restore QUSRSYS via GO LICPGM or via RSTLIB to get the original
    system values and net attributes ?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Missing old system values after a total system restore option21

    CENTRINO wrote:
    > We had a curious incident: after failing a disk in a raid 5, it started
    > corruption on the other disks of the array.
    >
    > Consecuences: a total system restore was required. (V5R4M0)
    >
    > IBM personnel used customer lic and os CDs in order to start DST instead of
    > the last tape generated with option 21 of system menu GO SAVE.
    >
    > After exchanging some hardware parts disks etc .
    > They managed to restore raid protection and leved the OS intalled from
    > original CDs.
    >
    > Consecuences, as we where in a much higher level of PTFs of the original
    > V5R4M0, we decided to use the bakup tape in order to load latest nmicrocode
    > (with latests PTFs) saved onto it.
    >
    > Then, selected to install operating system, and then GO RESTORE option 21
    >
    > Everything seemed to go OK, but nor system values nor net atributes were
    > restored as they where, the firt clue, was that after the next IPL the
    > system name was the serial mumber of the machine.
    >

    > I understood that all this information: SYSTEM VALUES and NET ATTRIBUTES
    > where stored in QUSRSYS ... and so, restored from option 21
    >
    > I do not understand what happened.
    >
    > ¿ Any clue ? why they remained the original Cd values and not the restored
    > ones after option 21?
    >
    > ¿ Should I restore QUSRSYS via GO LICPGM or via RSTLIB to get the original
    > system values and net attributes ?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You need to watch teh options used on the OS Load. If it finds as OS already
    there it sets a range of items to not to update/install. On the the
    Install OS Screen I take the #2 option 'Change Install Options' then the
    next screen I do...

    Restore from the installation media:
    System information. . . 1 1=Restore, 2=Do not restore
    Edit descriptions . . . 1 1=Restore, 2=Do not restore
    Message reply list. . . 1 1=Restore, 2=Do not restore
    Job descriptions. . . . 1 1=Restore, 3=Keep customization
    Subsystem descriptions. 1 1=Restore, 3=Keep customization

  3. Re: Missing old system values after a total system restore option 21

    Thank you very much for your reply ...

    Do you know if there is any way to restore afterwards what is missing? I
    mean system values and net attributes and reply list etc?

    Everything to me seems ok ... except such a "litle details" like system
    values and netatrs.

    I have mannually tuched system values and netatrs ... but may be I forgot
    something ...

    Excuse my englih ... I am from Spain.

    Thanks again.

    "Kirk Goins" escribió en el mensaje
    > CENTRINO wrote:
    > > We had a curious incident: after failing a disk in a raid 5, it started
    > > corruption on the other disks of the array.
    > >
    > > Consecuences: a total system restore was required. (V5R4M0)
    > >
    > > IBM personnel used customer lic and os CDs in order to start DST instead

    of
    > > the last tape generated with option 21 of system menu GO SAVE.
    > >
    > > After exchanging some hardware parts disks etc .
    > > They managed to restore raid protection and leved the OS intalled from
    > > original CDs.
    > >
    > > Consecuences, as we where in a much higher level of PTFs of the original
    > > V5R4M0, we decided to use the bakup tape in order to load latest

    nmicrocode
    > > (with latests PTFs) saved onto it.
    > >
    > > Then, selected to install operating system, and then GO RESTORE option

    21

    > > Everything seemed to go OK, but nor system values nor net atributes were
    > > restored as they where, the firt clue, was that after the next IPL the
    > > system name was the serial mumber of the machine.
    > >

    > > I understood that all this information: SYSTEM VALUES and NET ATTRIBUTES
    > > where stored in QUSRSYS ... and so, restored from option 21
    > >
    > > I do not understand what happened.
    > >
    > > ¿ Any clue ? why they remained the original Cd values and not the

    restored
    > > ones after option 21?
    > >
    > > ¿ Should I restore QUSRSYS via GO LICPGM or via RSTLIB to get the

    original
    > > system values and net attributes ?
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >

    > You need to watch teh options used on the OS Load. If it finds as OS

    already
    > there it sets a range of items to not to update/install. On the the
    > Install OS Screen I take the #2 option 'Change Install Options' then the
    > next screen I do...
    >
    > Restore from the installation media:
    > System information. . . 1 1=Restore, 2=Do not restore
    > Edit descriptions . . . 1 1=Restore, 2=Do not restore
    > Message reply list. . . 1 1=Restore, 2=Do not restore
    > Job descriptions. . . . 1 1=Restore, 3=Keep customization
    > Subsystem descriptions. 1 1=Restore, 3=Keep customization

  4. Re: Missing old system values after a total system restore option21

    CENTRINO wrote:
    > <>
    >
    > I understood that all this information: SYSTEM VALUES and NET
    > ATTRIBUTES where stored in QUSRSYS ... and so, restored from
    > option 21
    >
    > I do not understand what happened.
    >
    > ¿ Any clue ? why they remained the original Cd values and not the
    > restored ones after option 21?
    >
    > ¿ Should I restore QUSRSYS via GO LICPGM or via RSTLIB to get the
    > original system values and net attributes ?

    The system values are not stored in QUSRSYS. I believe the network
    attributes are also stored elsewhere. As I recall both are specific
    objects in QSYS that are saved as part of SAVSYS. AFaIK restoring or
    installing the QUSRSYS library would not assist in any way.

    Normally when I would do a scratch install, I would use manual
    install and set values from the console as the machine was in the IPL,
    or just after the IPL I would set the system values and network
    attributes [using a restored CL script, when I was more formally the sys
    admin], load & apply latest [cumulative & HIPer; plus any recent
    individually applied] PTFs for the LIC & OS, then pwrdwn+restart, and
    only then do the RSTLIB *NONSYS. The restored LPPs as part of the
    *NONSYS maintain the level of PTF they had when they were last saved, so
    more PTF activity was generally unnecessary except some individual PTFs
    that properly were the origin for any individual PTFs applied for LIC&OS.

    Regards, Chuck

  5. Re: Missing old system values after a total system restore option 21

    Thans

    All tcp values and configuration seems ok Even QSNADS directory ....

    What I miss are just system values and net attributes. Which in an hour I
    have menaged to restore.

    I have allways thught that option 21 should have to restore the system to
    its original state of configuration, the same one that was saved with option
    21.

    Am I missing somethning?

    "CRPence" escribió en el mensaje
    > CENTRINO wrote:
    > > <>
    > >
    > > I understood that all this information: SYSTEM VALUES and NET
    > > ATTRIBUTES where stored in QUSRSYS ... and so, restored from
    > > option 21
    > >
    > > I do not understand what happened.
    > >
    > > ¿ Any clue ? why they remained the original Cd values and not the
    > > restored ones after option 21?
    > >
    > > ¿ Should I restore QUSRSYS via GO LICPGM or via RSTLIB to get the
    > > original system values and net attributes ?

    > The system values are not stored in QUSRSYS. I believe the network
    > attributes are also stored elsewhere. As I recall both are specific
    > objects in QSYS that are saved as part of SAVSYS. AFaIK restoring or
    > installing the QUSRSYS library would not assist in any way.
    >
    > Normally when I would do a scratch install, I would use manual
    > install and set values from the console as the machine was in the IPL,
    > or just after the IPL I would set the system values and network
    > attributes [using a restored CL script, when I was more formally the sys
    > admin], load & apply latest [cumulative & HIPer; plus any recent
    > individually applied] PTFs for the LIC & OS, then pwrdwn+restart, and
    > only then do the RSTLIB *NONSYS. The restored LPPs as part of the
    > *NONSYS maintain the level of PTF they had when they were last saved, so
    > more PTF activity was generally unnecessary except some individual PTFs
    > that properly were the origin for any individual PTFs applied for LIC&OS.
    >
    > Regards, Chuck

  6. Re: Missing old system values after a total system restore option21

    CENTRINO wrote:

    > All tcp values and configuration seems ok Even QSNADS directory ....
    >
    > What I miss are just system values and net attributes. Which in an hour I
    > have managed to restore.
    >
    > I have always thought that option 21 should have to restore the system to
    > its original state of configuration, the same one that was saved with option
    > 21.
    >
    > Am I missing something?

    As I understand it, it is the _install of the operating system_ that
    would enable restoring those attributes; i.e. they are not restored via
    option-21, because that is restore activity *after* the OS install.
    That result would correlate with my comment that those attributes are
    saved with the SAVSYS, from QSYS, not saved with the SAVLIB *NONSYS
    [which saves QUSRSYS]. The following link suggests that "If you need to
    _recover your entire system_, you automatically restore your system
    values when you restore the operating system. You can also save your
    system information using the Save System Information (SAVSYSINF) command."
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...avesysvals.htm
    IMO the word "recover" there seems possibly to imply a scratch install.

    Since the system was installed from IBM [distribution] media, there
    was no customized system information [on those CDs] to be restored
    during that first install; what was restored, were the /defaults/.
    Reference:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../rzarmrcpf.htm
    "Attention: Use the distribution media only if you do not have SAVSYS
    media. If you use the distribution media to restore the operating
    system, the version you restore will not have any of the PTFs that you
    have applied. In addition, the restore sets the following default values
    that ship with the i5/OS licensed program:

    * System information
    * Network attributes
    * Configuration lists
    * Edit descriptions
    * Reply list entries
    * IBM-supplied subsystem descriptions
    * Passwords for IBM-supplied profiles
    "

    The install screen that Kirk included in his post, appears to be what
    is desired to effect restore of that information during the install of
    the operating system [from SAVSYS media]. Surely that panel is
    presented during a manual scratch install, but I am not clear from his
    post, if\when that panel would be presented in other cases. Since a
    second install was done from the SAVE-21, a slip install over the prior
    installation from the IBM distribution media, perhaps that panel was
    overlooked, or perhaps the panel was not even presented because it only
    appears during a manual install, or perhaps the panel only appears on a
    [manual] scratch install. What Kirk wrote seems to imply you must at
    least specify "Yes" to "Define or Change system at IPL":
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...rzarmrcpfs.htm
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...rzarmipldc.htm

    QSNADS configuration, TCP/IP configuration, and directory information
    *are* part of QUSRSYS.

    I believe the panel Kirk mentioned enables the restore of the network
    attributes and [most] system values, as part of "system information". I
    believe that is the same as the SAVSYSINF and RSTSYSINF as documented here:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...m/rzarmrst.htm

    Regards, Chuck

  7. Re: Missing old system values after a total system restore option 21

    Thank you very much for you explanation.

    I am working remotely on the system in order to put things in place, so I
    cannot try RSTSYSINF from tape since there is no one on saturday who could
    insert the GO SAVE opt 21 tape, but I am afraid, that I would not be able to
    restore system info from such a tape. That's becouse in RSTSYSINF help,
    states that it would restore from a SAVSYSINF tape. Then I took the option
    of manually change System Values and Net attributes, what I guess that I
    would probbably miss is the reply list ...

    Any way I´ll try to restore it from opt 21 tape with RSTSYSINF

    In case it would not be possible, I would recommend IBM to include
    SAVSYSINF in the GO SAVE opt 21 if it is not possible to RSTSYSINF from a
    tape containing a SAVSYS.

    Some more information in:
    http://www-304.ibm.com/systems/suppo...averestore.pdf

    Thanks again for your help.

> [...]

    > second install was done from the SAVE-21, a slip install over the prior
    > installation from the IBM distribution media, perhaps that panel was
    > overlooked, or perhaps the panel was not even presented because it only
    > appears during a manual install, or perhaps the panel only appears on a
    > [manual] scratch install. What Kirk wrote seems to imply you must at
    > least specify "Yes" to "Define or Change system at IPL":

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...rzarmrcpfs.htm

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...rzarmipldc.htm

    > QSNADS configuration, TCP/IP configuration, and directory information
    > *are* part of QUSRSYS.
    >
    > I believe the panel Kirk mentioned enables the restore of the network
    > attributes and [most] system values, as part of "system information". I
    > believe that is the same as the SAVSYSINF and RSTSYSINF as documented

  8. Re: Missing old system values after a total system restore option21

    I believe you are correct, thinking that RSTSYSINF will not function
    using the save-21 tapes. That instead, the restore of the system
    information would be accomplished only with a [manual] install from
    those tapes; i.e. by specifying the choice of 1=Restore in response to
    "System information. . . 1 1=Restore, 2=Do not restore", at the panel
    presented during that install. As alluded earlier, I am not clear on
    exactly what ensures that panel would be presented during the install.
    As Kirk suggests, it is from having asked to 2='Change Install Options'
    from the "Install the Operating System" panel:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...rzahc/boss.htm
    ; this I am confident requires a _manual install_:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...allprocess.htm

    RSTCFG can be restored from save-21, from the SAVSYS portion, not
    only from a SAVCFG.
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../cl/rstcfg.htm
    However RSTSYSINF makes no similar statement; stating only that it
    will restore objects "saved by the Save System Information (SAVSYSINF)
    command":
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../rstsysinf.htm

    For recommendations on design change, those must be submitted as a
    requirement, either via COMMON or IBM, for example. Otherwise the
    option exists, to customize the save-21 activity. Both of those are
    options are mentioned here:
    http://archive.midrange.com/midrange.../msg01080.html

    Regards, Chuck

    CENTRINO wrote:

    > I am working remotely on the system in order to put things in place,
    > so I cannot try RSTSYSINF from tape since there is no one on saturday
    > who could insert the GO SAVE opt 21 tape, but I am afraid, that I
    > would not be able to restore system info from such a tape. That's
    > becouse in RSTSYSINF help, states that it would restore from a
    > SAVSYSINF tape. Then I took the option of manually change System
    > Values and Net attributes, what I guess that I would probably miss is
    > the reply list ...
    >
    > Any way I´ll try to restore it from opt 21 tape with RSTSYSINF
    >
    > In case it would not be possible, I would recommend IBM to include
    > SAVSYSINF in the GO SAVE opt 21 if it is not possible to RSTSYSINF
    > from a tape containing a SAVSYS.
    >
    > Some more information in:

    http://www-304.ibm.com/systems/suppo...averestore.pdf

    > Thanks again for your help.
    >
    > "CRPence" escribió:
    >>
    >> I believe the panel Kirk mentioned enables the restore of the network
    >> attributes and [most] system values, as part of "system information". I
    >> believe that is the same as the SAVSYSINF and RSTSYSINF as documented
    >> here:
    >> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...m/rzarmrst.htm

+ Reply to Thread