EBCDIC - UTF-8: iconv usage as command line program - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on EBCDIC - UTF-8: iconv usage as command line program - IBM AS400 ; Be forewarned: qsh usage here. I have a file on IFS, tinytest.xml. I'm supposing that the IFS uses EBCDIC. I've never run iconv as a commandline utility. I'd like to give it a whirl though but it doesn't seem to ...

  1. EBCDIC - UTF-8: iconv usage as command line program

    Be forewarned: qsh usage here.

    I have a file on IFS, tinytest.xml. I'm supposing that the IFS uses
    EBCDIC. I've never run iconv as a commandline utility. I'd like to
    give it a whirl though but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. No
    warnings or messages either.

    If I 'cat' my tinytest.xml file it displays fine on my CA session.

    iconv -f EBCDIC -t UTF-8 tinytest.xml > tinytest_utf-8.xml

    The result of this command is a file identical to tinytest.xml. The
    'diff' command proves it.

    I guess problem #1 is where in the world do you go to look up the
    strings that the -f and -t arguments are using? Anyway, my search
    continues. Thank you.

  2. Re: EBCDIC - UTF-8: iconv usage as command line program

    Mr. K.V.B.L. wrote:
    > Be forewarned: qsh usage here.
    >
    > I have a file on IFS, tinytest.xml. I'm supposing that the IFS uses
    > EBCDIC. I've never run iconv as a commandline utility. I'd like to
    > give it a whirl though but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. No
    > warnings or messages either.
    >
    > If I 'cat' my tinytest.xml file it displays fine on my CA session.
    >
    > iconv -f EBCDIC -t UTF-8 tinytest.xml > tinytest_utf-8.xml
    >
    > The result of this command is a file identical to tinytest.xml. The
    > 'diff' command proves it.
    >
    > I guess problem #1 is where in the world do you go to look up the
    > strings that the -f and -t arguments are using? Anyway, my search
    > continues. Thank you.

    I've not used this iconv utility, but google found this link with a
    short description:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...zahz/rzahz.pdf

    The "-f EBCDIC" looks odd to me, in that there are a large number of
    CCSIDs considered "EBCDIC". My guess is that numeric (specific) CCSID
    values are expected for -f and -t arguments. For example 37 and 500 are
    a couple registered EBCDIC CCSIDs. This is a section of the SQL
    Reference with some CCSID info:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ode=int_213148

    >>I'm supposing that the IFS uses EBCDIC.

    Data in IFS files can be in a variety of character encodings. On a
    green-screen if you find a file using WRKLNK, use option 8=Display
    attributes to see the CCSID (Coded character set ID)
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ode=int_213324

    --
    Karl Hanson

  3. Re: EBCDIC - UTF-8: iconv usage as command line program

    On Aug 29, 6:14*pm, Karl Hanson wrote:
    > Mr. K.V.B.L. wrote:
    > > Be forewarned: qsh usage here.

    > > I have a file on IFS, tinytest.xml. *I'm supposing that the IFS uses
    > > EBCDIC. *I've never run iconv as a commandline utility. *I'd like to
    > > give it a whirl though but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. *No
    > > warnings or messages either.

    > > If I 'cat' my tinytest.xml file it displays fine on my CA session.

    > > iconv -f EBCDIC -t UTF-8 tinytest.xml > tinytest_utf-8.xml

    > > The result of this command is a file identical to tinytest.xml. *The
    > > 'diff' command proves it.

    > > I guess problem #1 is where in the world do you go to look up the
    > > strings that the -f and -t arguments are using? *Anyway, my search
    > > continues. *Thank you.

    > I've not used this iconv utility, but google found this link with a
    > short description:http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...opic/rzahz/rza...
    >
    > The "-f EBCDIC" looks odd to me, in that there are a large number of
    > CCSIDs considered "EBCDIC". My guess is that numeric (specific) CCSID
    > values are expected for -f and -t arguments. For example 37 and 500 are
    > a couple registered EBCDIC CCSIDs. This is a section of the SQL
    > Reference with some CCSID info:http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...i5os/index.jsp...
    >
    > *>>I'm supposing that the IFS uses EBCDIC.
    >
    > Data in IFS files can be in a variety of character encodings. On a
    > green-screen if you find a file using WRKLNK, use option 8=Display
    > attributes to see the CCSID (Coded character set ID)http://publib.boulder..ibm.com/infoc...i5os/index.jsp...
    >
    > --
    > Karl Hanson- Hide quoted text -

    Or in qsh use ls -S to show the CCSID