Questions on hardware and license key... - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Questions on hardware and license key... - IBM AS400 ; Folks, With reference to the 9406-S20: 1. If I replace the CPU, like-for-like, will my license key still be valid? (IIRC the license key is keyed to the system serial number, and the serial number is hardcoded on the ?backplane? ...

  1. Questions on hardware and license key...

    Folks,

    With reference to the 9406-S20:

    1. If I replace the CPU, like-for-like, will my license key still be valid?
    (IIRC the license key is keyed to the system serial number, and the serial
    number is hardcoded on the ?backplane? or ?front panel card? on the S20?

    2. Same question, but upgrade: if I upgrade to, say, a 4-way processor, will my
    license key still work? FWIW, my license doc says 'Processor Group *ANY'...

    3. What about if I replace the backplane? (The thing with the slots, what IBM
    calls the IOP I think). I *think* the hardware serial number, to which the
    license is keyed, is in the front panel PCB, is it not?

    (I'm trying to repair a 9406-S20 with pretty fundamental hardware issues!)

    Thanks

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  2. Re: Questions on hardware and license key...

    Hi, Mike:

    If your license key is truly for *ANY processor group, you should be
    okay as far as the OS/400 licenses are concerned, so long as the CPU
    serial number does not change.

    However, there is the matter of the "system password" ...

    Every piece of hardware has its own "Vital Product Data" (VPD) that
    includes a unique serial number, etc., so the system can detect when you
    have changed any hardware, even "like-for-like"... and such changes
    could invalidate this "system password"... :-o See here for details:

    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...256c62004951b8

    Please contact me "off-list" if you need more information.

    All the best,

    Mark S. Waterbury

    > Mike Ross wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > With reference to the 9406-S20:
    >
    > 1. If I replace the CPU, like-for-like, will my license key still be valid?
    > (IIRC the license key is keyed to the system serial number, and the serial
    > number is hardcoded on the ?backplane? or ?front panel card? on the S20?
    >
    > 2. Same question, but upgrade: if I upgrade to, say, a 4-way processor, will my
    > license key still work? FWIW, my license doc says 'Processor Group *ANY'...
    >
    > 3. What about if I replace the backplane? (The thing with the slots, what IBM
    > calls the IOP I think). I *think* the hardware serial number, to which the
    > license is keyed, is in the front panel PCB, is it not?

    I think you are referring to the "Central Electronic Complex" or CEC ...
    IOPs are usually just boards that plug-in to the bus, and sometimes,
    devices like tape or disk drives are plugged directly into these IOPs or
    IOAs, via ribbon-cables, etc.

    > (I'm trying to repair a 9406-S20 with pretty fundamental hardware issues!)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > http://www.corestore.org