Securely Connect AS400 to Unix Web Server - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Securely Connect AS400 to Unix Web Server - IBM AS400 ; Good morning, We are building a new website and need to securely send/receive data to/from Unix web server. I do not know anything about Unix/Linix boxes and the guy whom I am working with does not know anything about AS400/iSeries. ...

  1. Securely Connect AS400 to Unix Web Server

    Good morning,

    We are building a new website and need to securely send/receive data
    to/from Unix web server. I do not know anything about Unix/Linix
    boxes and the guy whom I am working with does not know anything about
    AS400/iSeries.

    We are running on:
    9406-820
    V5R2

    Thank you in advance.
    Gary

  2. Re: Securely Connect AS400 to Unix Web Server

    Hi Gary,
    A bit more detail might be required here, but really you've got loads
    of options. If you need to access the database on the AS/400 from
    UNIX, I'd say JDBC or something similar for your language of choice on
    UNIX would be fine, would need no extra software on the AS/400.

    If you need to access actual files on the AS/400, then automating FTP
    could be a decent idea, again, would not require any software on the
    AS/400.

    If you need to run any programs on the AS/400, to generate data before
    sending it over to the UNIX box, then I think maybe a REST service, or
    RPC call might be nice, this would require some work on the AS/400
    though.

    Without knowing exactly what you need though, it's difficult to
    suggest a great solution.

    Cheers

    Garry

    On Aug 25, 1:33*pm, SegalRea...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Good morning,
    >
    > We are building a new website and need to securely send/receive data
    > to/from Unix web server. *I do not know anything about Unix/Linix
    > boxes and the guy whom I am working with does not know anything about
    > AS400/iSeries.
    >
    > We are running on:
    > 9406-820
    > V5R2
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    > Gary

  3. Re: Securely Connect AS400 to Unix Web Server

    On Aug 25, 9:03*am, thegman wrote:
    > Hi Gary,
    > A bit more detail might be required here, but really you've got loads
    > of options. If you need to access the database on the AS/400 from
    > UNIX, I'd say JDBC or something similar for your language of choice on
    > UNIX would be fine, would need no extra software on the AS/400.
    >
    > If you need to access actual files on the AS/400, then automating FTP
    > could be a decent idea, again, would not require any software on the
    > AS/400.
    >
    > If you need to run any programs on the AS/400, to generate data before
    > sending it over to the UNIX box, then I think maybe a REST service, or
    > RPC call might be nice, this would require some work on the AS/400
    > though.
    >
    > Without knowing exactly what you need though, it's difficult to
    > suggest a great solution.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Garry
    >
    > On Aug 25, 1:33*pm, SegalRea...@gmail.com wrote:

    Thank You Garry.
    We have been using FTP for the old website.
    The new website is secure and we have to use SFTP/SSH

    I found some articles on line
    But I beleave I have to be on V5R3 in order to do that.
    http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable...s/openssh.html

    So far I could not find any detail info on how to do SFTP/SSH on 400.

    Thank You for any info that you might have.
    Gary

  4. Re: Securely Connect AS400 to Unix Web Server

    On Aug 25, 9:25*am, Gary Segal wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 9:03*am, thegman wrote:
    >

    > > Hi Gary,
    > > A bit more detail might be required here, but really you've got loads
    > > of options. If you need to access the database on the AS/400 from
    > > UNIX, I'd say JDBC or something similar for your language of choice on
    > > UNIX would be fine, would need no extra software on the AS/400.

    > > If you need to access actual files on the AS/400, then automating FTP
    > > could be a decent idea, again, would not require any software on the
    > > AS/400.

    > > If you need to run any programs on the AS/400, to generate data before
    > > sending it over to the UNIX box, then I think maybe a REST service, or
    > > RPC call might be nice, this would require some work on the AS/400
    > > though.

    > > Without knowing exactly what you need though, it's difficult to
    > > suggest a great solution.

    > > Cheers

    > > Garry

    > > On Aug 25, 1:33*pm, SegalRea...@gmail.com wrote:

    > Thank You Garry.
    > We have been using FTP for the old website.
    > The new website is secure and we have to use SFTP/SSH
    >
    > I found some articles on line
    > But I beleave I have to be on V5R3 in order to do that.http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable...s/openssh.html
    >
    > So far I could not find any detail info on how to do SFTP/SSH on 400.
    >
    > Thank You for any info that you might have.
    > Gary- Hide quoted text -

    Also forgot to mention that data is sent in text format.
    Thanks
    Gary

  5. Re: Securely Connect AS400 to Unix Web Server

    On Aug 25, 2:33*pm, Gary Segal wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 9:25*am, Gary Segal wrote:
    >

    > > On Aug 25, 9:03*am, thegman wrote:

    > > > Hi Gary,
    > > > A bit more detail might be required here, but really you've got loads
    > > > of options. If you need to access the database on the AS/400 from
    > > > UNIX, I'd say JDBC or something similar for your language of choice on
    > > > UNIX would be fine, would need no extra software on the AS/400.

    > > > If you need to access actual files on the AS/400, then automating FTP
    > > > could be a decent idea, again, would not require any software on the
    > > > AS/400.

    > > > If you need to run any programs on the AS/400, to generate data before
    > > > sending it over to the UNIX box, then I think maybe a REST service, or
    > > > RPC call might be nice, this would require some work on the AS/400
    > > > though.

    > > > Without knowing exactly what you need though, it's difficult to
    > > > suggest a great solution.

    > > > Cheers

    > > > Garry

    > > > On Aug 25, 1:33*pm, SegalRea...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > Thank You Garry.
    > > We have been using FTP for the old website.
    > > The new website is secure and we have to use SFTP/SSH

    > > I found some articles on line
    > > But I beleave I have to be on V5R3 in order to do that.http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable...s/openssh.html

    > > So far I could not find any detail info on how to do SFTP/SSH on 400.

    > > Thank You for any info that you might have.
    > > Gary- Hide quoted text -

    > Also forgot to mention that data is sent in text format.
    > Thanks
    > Gary

    OK, if the UNIX machines and the AS/400 are on the same local network,
    then SSL may not really be needed, except for the extremely
    paranoid... But anyway, you could consider using the FTPS server on OS/
    400, I think that's been in there a while and probably present on your
    machine. FTPS is not a lot like SFTP, but you get SSL encryption all
    the same.

    Alternatively, you could run Apache HTTPS on the AS/400, and write a
    little program on the AS/400 to deliver requested files.

    If you're OK with running Java, you could look at running a Java SFTP
    server, maybe something like this:

    http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/

    Hope that helps.

    Garry