AS/400 3570 tape restores on Windows PC host? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on AS/400 3570 tape restores on Windows PC host? - IBM AS400 ; I have some AS/400 Maxtor 3570 tapes and I am trying to determine how I may restore them in a PC environment, I only need to restore data off the tapes and place into a PC filesystem (Windows SMB, Linux ...

  1. AS/400 3570 tape restores on Windows PC host?

    I have some AS/400 Maxtor 3570 tapes and I am trying to determine how
    I may restore them in a PC environment, I only need to restore data
    off the tapes and place into a PC filesystem (Windows SMB, Linux NFS,
    NTFS, FAT32, ext2, whatever) I do NOT have an AS/400 or the tape
    hardware, can I expect to find a place to buy the tape hardware and
    get an tape restore application running in a PC environment to get
    data off these tapes, can anyone help?

    I am determining whether the media is B, C or CXL and see that it is
    the IBM Magstar 3570 drive that I need, I can get that running on a
    Windows host with SCSI controller easy enough, what must I know of the
    AS/400 backup operations to specify what software the Windows host
    must run to restore the data to the local Windows file system? any
    thoughts for comments appreciated

  2. Re: AS/400 3570 tape restores on Windows PC host?

    On Aug 20, 12:47*pm, rrupert wrote:

    Do you know how the data was stored - what commands were used? Unless
    the data was saved using CPYTOTAP (in a flat file format) I don't
    think you'll be able to read the data on a PC. I think all the SAV*
    commands would save the data in a format only another AS400 can read.

  3. Re: AS/400 3570 tape restores on Windows PC host?

    On Aug 20, 2:37 pm, scl...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 12:47 pm, rrupert wrote:
    >
    > Do you know how the data was stored - what commands were used? Unless
    > the data was saved using CPYTOTAP (in a flat file format) I don't
    > think you'll be able to read the data on a PC. I think all the SAV*
    > commands would save the data in a format only another AS400 can read.

    thanks, I am taking what you gave me above and this information from
    another helpful party in another forum, I am gathering this info from
    the tape owners and will update this post

    OTHER FORUM POST
    I don't know. It seems that compatible drives are available for PC
    environments, so that the 3570 tape cartridges would be usable. But
    the data...

    1. Is it written as tape data to a tape file? Or is it written in a
    savefile format?
    2. Is it written as ASCII-compatible? Or is it EBCDIC in an unknown
    CCSID?

    If you can acquire a PC tape drive that can handle the tape cartridge
    and if the tapes are written explicitly as data copied to tape files
    and if you can determine the appropriate character encoding and if you
    can either write or buy software that can transfer the data from tape,
    then yes, it can be done. But those should be fairly obvious
    conditions.

    If the data is written to tape in save/restore format, however,
    everything gets a lot more complicated right off the bat.

    What do you know about the content and structure? A printout of the
    tape/file labels would go a long way towards knowing how to proceed.

    Tom

  4. Re: AS/400 3570 tape restores on Windows PC host?

    Might I suggest you find someone with an AS/400 and that tape drive
    and you pay them to transfer the data to flat files for you, it'll
    probably end up a lot cheaper in the long run.

    I've done a LOT of tape conversion from different machines in the
    past, but the AS/400's sav format would be a killer to decode, there's
    compression and compaction, some, but not all of it software based,
    plus the DB format of AS/400 files isn't really anything a PC can
    understand either, it's not flat files.

    --
    Bob Comer

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:18:48 -0700 (PDT), rrupert
    wrote:

    >On Aug 20, 2:37 pm, scl...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Aug 20, 12:47 pm, rrupert wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you know how the data was stored - what commands were used? Unless
    >> the data was saved using CPYTOTAP (in a flat file format) I don't
    >> think you'll be able to read the data on a PC. I think all the SAV*
    >> commands would save the data in a format only another AS400 can read.

    >thanks, I am taking what you gave me above and this information from
    >another helpful party in another forum, I am gathering this info from
    >the tape owners and will update this post
    >
    >OTHER FORUM POST
    >I don't know. It seems that compatible drives are available for PC
    >environments, so that the 3570 tape cartridges would be usable. But
    >the data...
    >
    >1. Is it written as tape data to a tape file? Or is it written in a
    >savefile format?
    >2. Is it written as ASCII-compatible? Or is it EBCDIC in an unknown
    >CCSID?
    >
    >If you can acquire a PC tape drive that can handle the tape cartridge
    >and if the tapes are written explicitly as data copied to tape files
    >and if you can determine the appropriate character encoding and if you
    >can either write or buy software that can transfer the data from tape,
    >then yes, it can be done. But those should be fairly obvious
    >conditions.
    >
    >If the data is written to tape in save/restore format, however,
    >everything gets a lot more complicated right off the bat.
    >
    >What do you know about the content and structure? A printout of the
    >tape/file labels would go a long way towards knowing how to proceed.
    >
    >Tom

  5. Re: AS/400 3570 tape restores on Windows PC host?

    On Aug 20, 8:09 pm, Robert Comer
    wrote:
    > Might I suggest you find someone with an AS/400 and that tape drive
    > and you pay them to transfer the data to flat files for you, it'll
    > probably end up a lot cheaper in the long run.
    >
    > I've done a LOT of tape conversion from different machines in the
    > past, but the AS/400's sav format would be a killer to decode, there's
    > compression and compaction, some, but not all of it software based,
    > plus the DB format of AS/400 files isn't really anything a PC can
    > understand either, it's not flat files.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Comer
    >
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:18:48 -0700 (PDT), rrupert
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Aug 20, 2:37 pm, scl...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> On Aug 20, 12:47 pm, rrupert wrote:

    > >> Do you know how the data was stored - what commands were used? Unless
    > >> the data was saved using CPYTOTAP (in a flat file format) I don't
    > >> think you'll be able to read the data on a PC. I think all the SAV*
    > >> commands would save the data in a format only another AS400 can read.

    > >thanks, I am taking what you gave me above and this information from
    > >another helpful party in another forum, I am gathering this info from
    > >the tape owners and will update this post

    > >OTHER FORUM POST
    > >I don't know. It seems that compatible drives are available for PC
    > >environments, so that the 3570 tape cartridges would be usable. But
    > >the data...

    > >1. Is it written as tape data to a tape file? Or is it written in a
    > >savefile format?
    > >2. Is it written as ASCII-compatible? Or is it EBCDIC in an unknown
    > >CCSID?

    > >If you can acquire a PC tape drive that can handle the tape cartridge
    > >and if the tapes are written explicitly as data copied to tape files
    > >and if you can determine the appropriate character encoding and if you
    > >can either write or buy software that can transfer the data from tape,
    > >then yes, it can be done. But those should be fairly obvious
    > >conditions.

    > >If the data is written to tape in save/restore format, however,
    > >everything gets a lot more complicated right off the bat.

    > >What do you know about the content and structure? A printout of the
    > >tape/file labels would go a long way towards knowing how to proceed.

    > >Tom

    so I suppose this is new a 'job for bid' post, I'm looking to hire and
    AS/400 admin to help me out

    I have more information, not much but a bit, I am in the Kansas City
    area and working to find
    a business/admin that has an AS/400 system with this backup drive to
    provide services, I
    am also asking a few data recovery companies to quote me, no responses
    yet

    TAPES
    IBM Magstar MP p/n 05H2462, these are B tapes

    QUESTIONS
    1.) are the 3570 tapes type B, C or CXL?
    ANSWER
    the tapes are IBM Magstar MP p/n 05H2462, these are B tapes

    2.) what commands were used on the AS/400 to write the tapes?
    Unless the data was saved using CPYTOTAP (in a flat file format) there
    is some
    'question whether we will be able to read the data on a PC, if the
    tapes were

    written with AS/400 SAV* commands then it is unlikely we will be able
    to restore data
    to PC and suspect the tapes can only be read on another, AS/400, in
    other words, is
    it written as tape data to a tape file? Or is it written in a savefile
    format?
    ANSWER
    ?

    3.) Is it written as ASCII-compatible? Or is it EBCDIC in an unknown
    CCSID?
    ANSWER
    ?

    4.) What can we find out about the content and structure of the
    tapes?
    Can we get a printout of the tape/file labels?
    ANSWER
    ?

    OBJECTIVE
    * on these tapes are Lotus Notes backups from 2002, 2003 and 2004
    * there are 3 sets of 5 tapes, each 5 tape set belongs to the
    respective backup
    operation
    * we want to restore six(6) different Lotus Notes NSF files, we have
    the names of
    the six mailboxes these NSF files belong to

    DELIVERABLE
    * we can have all the data restored from the tapes to any form of
    media that we
    can read on a Windows PC, or, if possible you could also deliver the
    NSF files
    themselves as they are all we need from the tapes

+ Reply to Thread