how to dump all of an output queue - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on how to dump all of an output queue - IBM AS400 ; I want to daily take all the spool files in qezjoblog and dump them to a PF to which I will go and move over to a pc for if we have to track thru anything. I want one file, ...

  1. how to dump all of an output queue

    I want to daily take all the spool files in qezjoblog and dump them to
    a PF to which I will go and move over to a pc for if we have to track
    thru anything.

    I want one file, I don't care about control characters as I don't plan
    to dump it back. If I get them, I can either filter them out with a
    program, etc. so it is not a big deal. formatting is not either as
    this is a copy of the logs in case I have to see what "john doe"
    messed up two weeks ago and didn't tell anyone about.

    Is there an easy to do this?

  2. Re: how to dump all of an output queue

    I would probably create a folder for the day and use iSeries Navigator
    to move all job logs inside.

    On Aug 17, 8:35*pm, trans am kid wrote:
    > I want to daily take all the spool files in qezjoblog and dump them to
    > a PF to which I will go and move over to a pc for if we have to track
    > thru anything.
    >
    > I want one file, I don't care about control characters as I don't plan
    > to dump it back. If I get them, I can either filter them out with a
    > program, etc. so it is not a big deal. formatting is not either as
    > this is a copy of the logs in case I have to see what "john doe"
    > messed up two weeks ago and didn't tell anyone about.
    >
    > Is there an easy to do this?

  3. Re: how to dump all of an output queue

    If you're interested in a commercial solution, my SPLTOOL product will
    do this (http://www.bvstools.com/spltool.html).

    There is a command named SPL2STMFB (Spooled File to Stream File Batch)
    that allows you to convert and merge multiple spooled files at once. As
    long as you clean out the output queue after each day (so you won't get
    duplicates) it should work fine.

    Otherwise you could also use the date ranges on the command to get all
    reports for a certain day from a specific output queue (and not get
    duplicates).

    It could merge them all and create text, pdf, html or rtf files from
    them which would be stored in the IFS and easily moved to your PC.

    If you have an FTP server running on your PC you could use the SPL2FTPB
    (Spooled File to FTP Batch) command to convert and FTP them all in one step.

    Brad
    www.bvstools.com

    trans am kid wrote:
    > I want to daily take all the spool files in qezjoblog and dump them to
    > a PF to which I will go and move over to a pc for if we have to track
    > thru anything.
    >
    > I want one file, I don't care about control characters as I don't plan
    > to dump it back. If I get them, I can either filter them out with a
    > program, etc. so it is not a big deal. formatting is not either as
    > this is a copy of the logs in case I have to see what "john doe"
    > messed up two weeks ago and didn't tell anyone about.
    >
    > Is there an easy to do this?

  4. Re: how to dump all of an output queue

    On Aug 17, 5:35*pm, trans am kid wrote:
    > I want to daily take all the spool files in qezjoblog and dump them to
    > a PF to which I will go and move over to a pc for if we have to track
    > thru anything.
    >
    > I want one file, I don't care about control characters as I don't plan
    > to dump it back. If I get them, I can either filter them out with a
    > program, etc. so it is not a big deal. formatting is not either as
    > this is a copy of the logs in case I have to see what "john doe"
    > messed up two weeks ago and didn't tell anyone about.
    >
    > Is there an easy to do this?

    Not sure if you would find this easy but I would probably use the
    QUSLSPL API to list the spool files in QEZJOBLOG and then roll through
    them doing a CPYSPLF to copy these spool files to a physical file
    (specifying *ADD) and then when finished processing all spool files I
    would copy that physical file to a stream file on the IFS using
    CPYTOSTMF.

    HTH,

    Thad Rizzi

  5. Re: how to dump all of an output queue

    trans am kid wrote:
    > I want to daily take all the spool files in qezjoblog and dump
    > them to a PF to which I will go and move over to a pc for if we
    > have to track thru anything.
    >
    > I want one file, I don't care about control characters as I
    > don't plan to dump it back. If I get them, I can either filter
    > them out with a program, etc. so it is not a big deal. formatting
    > is not either as this is a copy of the logs in case I have to see
    > what "john doe" messed up two weeks ago and didn't tell anyone
    > about.
    >
    > Is there an easy to do this?

    A quick & dirty interpreted code example that can probably be
    understood and easily modified, thus no compiling, plus no HLL coding to
    the spool APIs [even if that is much more appropriate]:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....4?dmode=source

    Be sure to read the P.S., restrictions, and alluded caveats [i.e.
    must customize code for installed release & language]. I believe that
    the /screen scraping/ comment was in response to someone mentioning
    coding a macro in an emulator. Presumably the requirements in this case
    would have the TOMBR() become fixed instead of incremented by the
    /mbrnbr/ variable, and the MBROPT(*ADD) added to the CPYSPLF coded in
    the /address command/ in the /do while/ loop of the REXX example given
    in that archived message.

    Regards, Chuck

+ Reply to Thread