Remote 5250 console sessions through HMC - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Remote 5250 console sessions through HMC - IBM AS400 ; We have i5 servers on opposite sides of the U.S.; one is production, the other is DR. Each is attached to an HMC, and both HMCs are configured to allow iSeries Access 5250 console sessions on port 2300. Each managed ...

  1. Remote 5250 console sessions through HMC

    We have i5 servers on opposite sides of the U.S.; one is production,
    the other is DR. Each is attached to an HMC, and both HMCs are
    configured to allow iSeries Access 5250 console sessions on port
    2300. Each managed system has three logical partitions. On one
    system, all three partitions are at V5R3; on the other, all three are
    at V5R4.

    In obtaining console sessions on the V5R4 partitions, one of the
    partitions behaves differently than the other two. On that one, after
    keying in the session key twice for a shared console and pressing
    Enter, I next see the log-on screen for the i5 console. On the other
    two V5R4 partitions, there are three additional screens. The first
    wants a DST user ID and password; the second is a Console Information
    Status with a function key assignment 'F10=Takeover console
    connection'; and the third, after pressing F10 on the second, is a
    Takeover Console Connection From Another User screen, with an option
    1=Yes, 2=No choice.

    I want to bypass the DST log-in screen and the two "takeover console"
    screens. I don't know if it's a setting in the HMC, or something in
    each of the two partitions that require navigating those three screens
    in order to get to the console. I've looked in both and can't find
    anything.

    Does anyone know how to change this?

  2. Re: Remote 5250 console sessions through HMC

    Normally I see this behavior only when someone has started a session
    in dedicated mode, or has started a session and cancelled out of it
    abnormally.

    I usually have a session for each LPAR running (not logged in) on the
    HMC as "shared", and simply join the shared console. If someone
    creates a "dedicated" console, I have to break and takeover.

+ Reply to Thread