no IPL, SRC code? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on no IPL, SRC code? - IBM AS400 ; Just dusted-off my old 9406-S20 which hasn't been powered-on in 5 years. Wouldn't power on - obvious power supply fault. Replaced PSU. Now powers on, but after a few seconds with assorted SRC codes running through, and disk & CD-ROM ...

  1. no IPL, SRC code?

    Just dusted-off my old 9406-S20 which hasn't been powered-on in 5 years.
    Wouldn't power on - obvious power supply fault. Replaced PSU. Now powers on, but
    after a few seconds with assorted SRC codes running through, and disk & CD-ROM
    lights flashing, it stops with SRC 9164 BE00 and the 'attention' light on.

    It appears to me that the disks aren't spinning up. Don't know why. Putting in
    an OS 5.2 CD-ROM and doing an IPL 'D' produces the same result. Any clues? I've
    done some searching and can't find that SRC anywhere...

    Thanks

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  2. Re: no IPL, SRC code?

    On Aug 12, 11:06*pm, Mike Ross wrote:
    > Just dusted-off my old 9406-S20 which hasn't been powered-on in 5 years.
    > Wouldn't power on - obvious power supply fault. Replaced PSU. Now powers on, but
    > after a few seconds with assorted SRC codes running through, and disk & CD-ROM
    > lights flashing, it stops with SRC 9164 BE00 and the 'attention' light on..
    >
    > It appears to me that the disks aren't spinning up. Don't know why. Putting in
    > an OS 5.2 CD-ROM and doing an IPL 'D' produces the same result. Any clues? I've
    > done some searching and can't find that SRC anywhere...
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike
    > --http://www.corestore.org
    > 'As I walk along these shores
    > I am the history within'

    going to guess, sounds like a failing part, from what I can tell it
    might be a operational service processor card.

  3. Re: no IPL, SRC code?

    On Aug 13, 9:06*am, iseriesflorida wrote:
    > On Aug 12, 11:06*pm, Mike Ross wrote:
    >
    > > Just dusted-off my old 9406-S20 which hasn't been powered-on in 5 years..
    > > Wouldn't power on - obvious power supply fault. Replaced PSU. Now powers on, but
    > > after a few seconds with assorted SRC codes running through, and disk &CD-ROM
    > > lights flashing, it stops with SRC 9164 BE00 and the 'attention' light on.

    > > It appears to me that the disks aren't spinning up. Don't know why. Putting in
    > > an OS 5.2 CD-ROM and doing an IPL 'D' produces the same result. Any clues? I've
    > > done some searching and can't find that SRC anywhere...

    > > Thanks

    > > Mike
    > > --http://www.corestore.org
    > > 'As I walk along these shores
    > > I am the history within'

    > going to guess, sounds like a failing part, from what I can tell it
    > might be a operational service processor card.

    BIG problem with the older boxes is that the disk spindles or heads
    would stick. Remove the drive from the box and tap the sides on the
    floor or strike FIRMLY with a plastic end of a screwdriver. Put the
    drive back and it should spin up.........The problem will likely
    present itself again if it sits for a while.

    Good luck.
    (supported 300+ 9406 machines and had this issue constantly, usually
    after power failures (long power downs.)

  4. Re: no IPL, SRC code?

    Mike Ross wrote in

    > Just dusted-off my old 9406-S20 which hasn't been powered-on in 5
    > years. Wouldn't power on - obvious power supply fault. Replaced PSU.
    > Now powers on, but after a few seconds with assorted SRC codes running
    > through, and disk & CD-ROM lights flashing, it stops with SRC 9164
    > BE00 and the 'attention' light on.
    >
    > It appears to me that the disks aren't spinning up. Don't know why.
    > Putting in an OS 5.2 CD-ROM and doing an IPL 'D' produces the same
    > result. Any clues? I've done some searching and can't find that SRC
    > anywhere...
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > http://www.corestore.org
    > 'As I walk along these shores
    > I am the history within'

    Mike,
    the SRC code: 9164 BE00 I/O processor detected a fault condition.

    search on IBM Publications Center for "Problem Analysis and Repair and
    Parts"
    http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/pub...ervlet/pbi.wss

    and find the the version for the S20 and there you can find the SRC codes

    --
    Ad,

    What's The Use Of Getting Sober
    (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

  5. Re: no IPL, SRC code?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:15:02 +0200, Ad wrote:

    >Mike Ross wrote in
    >
    >> Just dusted-off my old 9406-S20 which hasn't been powered-on in 5
    >> years. Wouldn't power on - obvious power supply fault. Replaced PSU.
    >> Now powers on, but after a few seconds with assorted SRC codes running
    >> through, and disk & CD-ROM lights flashing, it stops with SRC 9164
    >> BE00 and the 'attention' light on.
    >>
    >> It appears to me that the disks aren't spinning up. Don't know why.
    >> Putting in an OS 5.2 CD-ROM and doing an IPL 'D' produces the same
    >> result. Any clues? I've done some searching and can't find that SRC
    >> anywhere...

    >the SRC code: 9164 BE00 I/O processor detected a fault condition.
    >
    >search on IBM Publications Center for "Problem Analysis and Repair and
    >Parts"
    >http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/pub...ervlet/pbi.wss
    >
    >and find the the version for the S20 and there you can find the SRC codes

    Thanks, I found http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/y4459555.pdf which is
    a great resource. I don't think it can be stuck heads, as JTF suggested -
    otherwise why would the 'IPL D' CD-ROM IPL fail in exactly the same way?

    The above document gives failing items of FI01104 ('IOA card failing'), AJDGP01,
    and IOP for the above SRC. It can't be AJDGP01, as that's a LIC failure and it
    never even starts IPL, so it looks like a bad IOA or IOP board? Most likely the
    reason the disks aren't spinning-up is that they're never getting the spin-up
    signal?

    I'll investigate further. Points of order, with reference to the S20:

    1. If I replace the CPU, like-for-like, will my license key still be valid?
    (IIRC the license key is keyed to the system serial number, and the serial
    number is hardcoded on the ?backplane? or ?front panel card? on the S20?

    2. Same question, but upgrade: if I upgrade to, say, a 4-way processor, will my
    license key still work?

    Thanks

    Mike
    --