Spool file to PDF - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Spool file to PDF - IBM AS400 ; Hello everyone, Can someone who really knows how write what is all mandatory for conversion from spool file on AS400 to PDF to IFS. We have VR5R4 and Infoprint but I'm not sure that it's all to it. I have ...

  1. Spool file to PDF

    Hello everyone,

    Can someone who really knows how write what is all
    mandatory for conversion from spool file on AS400 to PDF to IFS.
    We have VR5R4 and Infoprint but I'm not sure that it's all to it.

    I have a problem converting spool file to PDF.
    I tried many things but there's always a probelm with a
    printer.
    Steps:
    1. I build PSF file (eg. ADOBEPDF) and put it in my library (eg:
    MyLIB)
    1. I build a outq (eg. ADOBEPDF) and I put it in MyLIB and put PSF
    file and library location into it
    3. I build a new device printer (eg. ADOBEPDF)
    3a. I put a User object record as location and name of my PSF file
    3b. I put remote location as 127.0.0.1
    3c. I put device type as *IPDS
    4. I vary on the device (ADOBEPDF printer) - it passes okay
    5. I want to start the WRITER - it won't start - no way.

    I even did this with a "dummy printer" specifications from IBM.
    Everything goes well up to point of starting the printer (writer).
    Can anybody help? Am I missing some configuration files needed?
    I have tried several free solutions - none worked.

    Best regards,
    Avrelivs

  2. Re: Spool file to PDF

    On Aug 12, 5:42 am, zpo...@gmail.com wrote:

    > 5. I want to start the WRITER - it won't start - no way.

    Here is how we created our printer device:

    CRTDEVPRT DEVD(PDF2IFS) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(*IPDS) MODEL(0)
    LANATTACH(*IP) AFP(*YES) PORT(12345) FONT(001 +
    *NONE) RMTLOCNAME('127.0.0.1') +
    USRDFNOBJ(QUSRSYS/PDF2IFS *PSFCFG) TEXT('Printer for PDF +
    -> IFS Stream File Creation')

  3. Re: Spool file to PDF

    Create p PSFCFG first:

    CRTPSFCFG PSFCFG(QUSRSYS/ADOBEPDF) PDFGEN(*STMF) PDFDEVTYPE(*IP40300)
    PDFPPRDWR2(*LEGAL) PDFMULT(*YES) PDFDTAQ(*NONE) PDFDIR('/AS400PDF')
    TEXT('Default PDF')

    Create a device:

    CRTDEVPRT DEVD(ADOBEPDF) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(*IPDS) MODEL(0)
    LANATTACH(*IP) AFP(*YES) PORT(51551) FONT(11) RMTLOCNAME('127.0.0.1')
    USRDFNOBJ(QUSRSYS/ADOBEPDF *PSFCFG) TEXT('Default PDF printer outqueue
    device') AUT(*ALL)

    Now wrkcfgsts *dev and vary on ADOBEPDF

    Then wrkwtr and start ADOBEPDF writer

    Now, anything spooled to ADOBEPDF will go to a directory on the IFS,
    under Root, called AS400PDF; then into a sub-folder of the user id.

    to get fancier, you can clone a program from an IBM manual, or I can
    post an example; this program can be attached to the CRTPSFCFG and
    will allow you to "custom name" files that are created. We are using
    it with good results; I'm not doing anything with email on it yet, but
    that can be done too. Right now I just use it to spool out reports or
    copies of tickets - what's great is it will copy the overlays too.
    I'll be honest, it took me quite awhile to figure out how to make the
    IBM program work - I wanted to create very long file names for the PC
    side and folders/subfolders/etc.

    You can create multiple ones but each device has to have a unique PORT
    - I use different ones to control where printing goes automatically.
    By using a program, which you don't need to, you do have more control
    over the naming of the pdf's and where they go.

    Once you change a spool file to the ADOBEPDF, the very first one you
    may have to answer a "Load forms" message, and if you print other
    reports with different forms to it you'll have to answer forms change
    messages on those too.

    For me writing a custom program was the way to go, but starting out I
    just set the PDFDIR where I wanted it to go; like I said, they should
    go out there into AS400PDF and then into a subdirectory of the user
    name. The system gives it a name like DEVICE_DATE_TIME_...etc.

    zpopic@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >Can someone who really knows how write what is all
    >mandatory for conversion from spool file on AS400 to PDF to IFS.
    >We have VR5R4 and Infoprint but I'm not sure that it's all to it.
    >
    >I have a problem converting spool file to PDF.
    >I tried many things but there's always a probelm with a
    >printer.
    >Steps:
    >1. I build PSF file (eg. ADOBEPDF) and put it in my library (eg:
    >MyLIB)
    >1. I build a outq (eg. ADOBEPDF) and I put it in MyLIB and put PSF
    >file and library location into it
    >3. I build a new device printer (eg. ADOBEPDF)
    >3a. I put a User object record as location and name of my PSF file
    >3b. I put remote location as 127.0.0.1
    >3c. I put device type as *IPDS
    >4. I vary on the device (ADOBEPDF printer) - it passes okay
    >5. I want to start the WRITER - it won't start - no way.
    >
    >I even did this with a "dummy printer" specifications from IBM.
    >Everything goes well up to point of starting the printer (writer).
    >Can anybody help? Am I missing some configuration files needed?
    >I have tried several free solutions - none worked.
    >
    >Best regards,
    >Avrelivs

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  4. Re: Spool file to PDF

    What version of the OS400 is needed?

    What software products? Infoprint server? Others?

  5. Re: Spool file to PDF

    On Aug 12, 5:02*am, ga wrote:
> [...]

    > >printer.
    > >Steps:
    > >1. I build PSF file (eg. ADOBEPDF) and put it in my library (eg:
    > >MyLIB)
    > >1. I build a outq (eg. ADOBEPDF) and I put it in MyLIB and put PSF
    > >file and library location into it
    > >3. I build a new device printer (eg. ADOBEPDF)
    > >3a. I put a User object record as location and name of my PSF file
    > >3b. I put remote location as 127.0.0.1
    > >3c. I put device type as *IPDS
    > >4. I vary on the device (ADOBEPDF printer) - it passes okay
    > >5. I want to start the WRITER - it won't start - no way.

    > >I even did this with a "dummy printer" specifications from IBM.
    > >Everything goes well up to point of starting the printer (writer).
    > >Can anybody help? Am I missing some configuration files needed?
    > >I have tried several free solutions - none worked.

    I tried this and was not able to get a writer to start:

    Message . . . . : IPDS to PDF transform job not
    run.
    Cause . . . . . : An error caused PSF to be unable to start the IPDS
    to PDF
    transform on device ADOBEPDF. The reason code for the error is 1.
    Reason
    codes have the following meanings. 1 - No PDF exit program is
    registered for
    exit point name QIBM_QPQ_TRANSFORM and exit point format name
    XPDF0100 with
    program data of "IPDS PDF".

    What exit program do you have registered?

    TIA, Thad Rizzi

  6. Re: Spool file to PDF

    On Aug 12, 12:23*pm, Dave wrote:
    > What version of the OS400 is needed?
    >
    > What software products? *Infoprint server? *Others?

    Looks like you need infoprint server.

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...257004006b0fe3

    Thad Rizzi

  7. Re: Spool file to PDF

    You mention cloning a program from an IBM manual to "custom name" the
    pdf files on the IFS. Do you have sample code or a link to the manual
    that contains the sample program?

  8. Re: Spool file to PDF

    Dave wrote:

    >You mention cloning a program from an IBM manual to "custom name" the
    >pdf files on the IFS. Do you have sample code or a link to the manual
    >that contains the sample program?

    Dave, yes, of course the first requirement is to have infoprint server
    57xx-IP1 installed on your system. Then create the PSF and then the
    device description. You then have to vary off the printer, go back
    into the PSF configuration (WRKPSFCFG) and then add the program
    name/library to the PSF. as PDF user program. You can also use a PDF
    mapping object, but I went the program route as I wanted to name my
    PDF's my own way. Once you have the program written and attached to
    the PSFCFG, vary on the printer and restart the writer. Now, if you
    change a spool file from say "P1" to "NP", it will automatically
    create the PDF in the appropriate directory named according to your
    program. One or two gotcha's - if the print job is on hold, it won't
    go there until released, same is true if a forms change message needs
    answered. Also, if you change your default printer to "NP" (my
    example), the pdf will be created immediately and you won't even see
    it on the spool file.

    We have a zillion pages that print in our day end. I spool them all
    to a dummy printer. Then, I do a CHGSPLFA file*(select) with
    selection criteria for user and from printer, and change all spooled
    items to the PDF printer. But a few I change to have a certain
    userdata in them so I can do a CHGSPLFA on those and make them
    save(*YES). That way, I can move them back to a real printer and
    print them using another CHGSPLFA and RLSSPLF.

    Kind of complicated to explain but it works. Oh, one more note, in my
    program, I use a data area to set the CCYYMM main level folder. I
    manipulate that date area BEFORE moving the spool files to the NP
    printer (which is my pdf and that program runs automatically to put
    the printed files into the designated IFS directory and name them
    accordingly.

    The program is in two manuals -
    The Infoprint Server User Guide
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...r/g5445775.pdf
    sample program is in appendix b

    The other manual is Using Intelligent Routing
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/printers/...nt_routing.pdf

    The program provided is a SHELL program, which you have to customize
    for your own needs, but I think the shell program is written to
    accommodate emailing parts of a spool file, copying files to pdf's,
    etc.

    Now the problem with both of these is the documentation was sketchy at
    best. I called IBM a couple of times and finally got enough
    information for me to make it work. In your program you could make it
    go not just to pdf's, but to stream files or emails, and you can do
    code to break it up into segments - say if you had multiple customers
    in a big file you wanted to email just their statement, you could
    extract and email that. I haven't worked on that yet.

    What I wanted to do was simply create a PDF, but instead of it going
    into the default folder, I wanted to specify what folder, and then
    what I wanted the PDF to be named. I have included my device
    description source, my psfcfg source (display of) and my program. The
    key for me was figuring out how to make the output data stream longer
    so I could give my PDF a longer field name.

    I apologize right up front because I am not smart enough to know how
    to get this to preserve columns. If you prefer me to email you (or
    anyone else) the files, I'd be happy too, you just need to post your
    email address. If you do though, put something like "nospam" in the
    email address that I can remove before using it, otherwise you might
    end up with a bunch of spam from the people who fish for email
    addresses.

    Sorry for the book. As I said, I could email you the files which might
    be better. ga

    Here is my device description source:
    CRTDEVPRT DEVD(NP) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(*IPDS) MODEL(0) LANATTACH(*IP) +
    AFP(*YES) PORT(51566) ONLINE(*YES) FONT(011 *NONE) +
    FORMFEED(*CONT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) PRTERRMSG(*INQ) +
    MSGQ(*CTLD) ACTTMR(170) IMGCFG(*NONE) MAXPNDRQS(6) +
    PRTCVT(*YES) PRTRQSTMR(*NOMAX) FORMDF(*LIBL/F1C10110) +
    CHRID(*SYSVAL) RMTLOCNAME('127.0.0.1') +
    USRDFNOBJ(QUSRSYS/NP *PSFCFG) TEXT('NF - FSC - GO - PDF +
    printer MHPRLF') DEPLOCNAME(*NONE) PUBLISHINF(*UNKNOWN +
    *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *BLANK (*UNKNOWN))

    Here is the output from a DSPPSFCFG for the PSFCFG:

    PSF configuration: NP Library: QUSRSYS
    User resource library . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *JOBLIBL
    IPDS pass through . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NO
    Activate release timer . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NORDYF
    Release timer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NOMAX
    Restart timer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *IMMED
    APPC and TCP/IP retry count . . . . . . . . . . : 15
    Delay time between retries . . . . . . . . . . . : 90
    Auto Session Recovery:
    Enabled . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NO
    Message option . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Acknowledgment frequency . . . . . . . . . . . . : 100
    Printer response timer . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NOMAX
    Blank page . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *YES
    Page size control . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NO
    Resident fonts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *YES
    Resource retention . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *YES
    Edge orient . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NO
    Use outline fonts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NO
    PSF defined options:
    *NONE
    Font substitution messages . . . . . . . . . . . : *YES
    Capture host fonts at printer . . . . . . . . . : *NO
    Cut sheet emulation mode . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NONE
    Font resolution for formatting . . . . . . . . . : *SEARCH
    Font mapping table . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NONE
    Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Use DBCS simulation font . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NO
    Generate PDF output:
    *STMF
    PDF device emulation type . . . . . . . . . . . : *IP40300
    PDF paper size drawer 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . : *LETTER
    PDF paper size drawer 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . : *LEGAL
    PDF multipe group handling:
    Acknowledge multiple groups . . . . . . . . . : *YES
    Process option . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *SPLIT
    PDF fonts inline . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *YES
    PDF data queue . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NONE
    Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
    PDF mail server:
    *SNDDST
    Sender of PDF mail . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *SPLFOWN
    PDF administrator . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NONE
    PDF user program . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : NPPGM
    Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : PRGAS400
    PDF mapping object . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NONE
    Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
    PDF output queue . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
    PDF file location . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : /mhprfl
    Save AFP data . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NO
    AFP output queue . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Text description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : MHPRFL folder -
    Payroll reports uses NPPGM for nam
    Device resource library list:

    Here is the mapping program:

    > 9300 D BDYPTH3 829 844
    > 9400 D DIRPTH 845 849
    > 9500 D NEWPTH 850 941
    > 9600 D NEWOBJ 942 966
    > 9700 D PUBAUT 967 991
    > 9800 D PDFQ 992 1296
    > 9900 D AFPQ 1297 1298
    > 10000 D ENCRYPT 1299 1369
    > 10100 D INPUTLEN DS 4
    > 10200 D OUTPUTLEN DS 4
    > 10300 D OUTINFO DS 4
    > 10400 C *ENTRY PLIST
    > 10500 C PARM INPUTDS
    > 10600 C PARM INPUTLEN
    > 10700 C PARM OUTDS
    > 10800 C PARM OUTPUTLEN
    > 10900 C PARM OUTINFO
    > 11000 C* EVAL OUTINFO = X'00000520'
    > 11100 C EVAL OUTINFO = X'00000570'
    > 11200 C Z-ADD splno wrkno 6 0
    > 11300 C MOVEL splfid splid2 10
    > 11400 C MOVEL usrdta usrdt2 10
    > 11500 C MOVEL payymd payym 6
    > 11600 C splid2 IFEQ *BlANKS
    > 11700 C MOVEL 'NOSPLID' splid2
    > 11800 C ENDIF
    > 11900 C usrdt2 IFEQ *BLANKS
    > 12000 C MOVEL 'NOUSRDTA' usrdt2
    > 12100 C ENDIF
    > 12200 C OUTINFO IFLE OUTPUTLEN
    > 12300 C CLEAR OUTDS
    > 12400 C EVAL MAILDISP = '0'
    > 12500 C EVAL RES2 = X'0000'
    > 12600 C EVAL RES3 = X'00'
    > 12700 C EVAL RES4 = X'0000000000000000000000'
    > 12800 C EVAL EXTOFF = 543
    > 12900 C EVAL EXTLEN = 100
    > 13000 C EVAL STMFDISP = '1'
    > 13100 C STMFDISP IFEQ '1'
    > 13200 C EVAL CALLAGIN = '0'
    > 13300 C ENDIF
    > 13400 C EVAL ERR = '0'
    > 13500 C EVAL DIRPTHOFF = 583
    > 13600 C EVAL DIRPTHLEN = 15
    > 13700 C EVAL DIRPTH = '/mhprfl'
    > 13800 C EVAL NEWPTHOFF = 849
    > 13900 C EVAL NEWPTHLEN = 92
    > 14000 C EVAL NEWPTH = '/mhprfl/' This is where I am creating the name for it to
    > 14100 C* + %char(%date():*ISO0) + '/' be on the IFS - in a folder called mhprfl, then
    > 14200 C + %trim(payym) + '/' a subfolder under that ccyymm, then in
    > 14300 C + %trim(payymd) + '/' a subfolder under that ccyymmdd, then the
    > 14400 C + %trim(JOBWS) + '_' file name is job workstation, user, number,
    > 14500 C + %trim(JOBUSR) + '_' spool file, user data (if any) and .pdf
    > 14600 C + %editc(JOBNUM:'X') + '_'
    > 14700 C + %editc(wrkno:'X') + '_'
    > 14800 C + %trim(splid2) + '_'
    > 14900 C + %trim(usrdt2) + '.pdf'
    > 15000 C EVAL PUBAUTOFF = 966
    > 15100 C EVAL PUBAUTLEN = 8
    > 15200 C EVAL PUBAUT = '*EXCLUDE'
    > 15300 C EVAL SPFLDISP = '0'
    > 15400 C ELSE
    > 15500 C ENDIF
    > 15600 C SETON LR

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  9. Re: Spool file to PDF

    You could just use the RPM software. We recommend RPM for this very
    reason in getting the 400 spools to PDF docs. Plus RPM will archive
    and write to HTML. When RPM archives the PDF, you'll have a "print
    history" of all your 400 print jobs. Hope this helps. The link to read
    up on this is http://www.as400tcpipprinting.com/as...onversion.html
    and you can try it for free I believe.

  10. Re: Spool file to PDF

    It took me longer to read all this thread than to set up the way I do
    pdf's. I use IO Adaptio along with auto doc hse, and it is just an
    output queue I send my work to and voila, I have it set up so it goes
    to different folders and so accounting has a folder they share with
    all their reports, etc. marketing, etc. Some are encrypted or locked,
    and some are not. Simple, and I had to do absolutely nothing in os/
    400, since adaptio will autoconfigure a printer/output queue. Yes I
    did put a few things in my print jobs to do some directing but I could
    have done it differently, when I started I had 4 as/400's feeding it,
    on an xp pc where adaptio/autodoc hse sat.

  11. Re: Spool file to PDF

> [...]

    > 12900 C EVAL EXTLEN = 100
    > 13000 C EVAL STMFDISP = '1'
    > 13100 C STMFDISP IFEQ '1'
    > 13200 C EVAL CALLAGIN = '0'
    > 13300 C ENDIF
    > 13400 C EVAL ERR = '0'
    > 13500 C EVAL DIRPTHOFF = 583
    > 13600 C EVAL DIRPTHLEN = 15
    > 13700 C EVAL DIRPTH = '/mhprfl'
    > 13800 C EVAL NEWPTHOFF = 849
    > 13900 C EVAL NEWPTHLEN = 92
    > 14000 C EVAL NEWPTH = '/mhprfl/' This is where I am creating the name for it to
    > 14100 C* + %char(%date():*ISO0) + '/' be on the IFS - in a folder called mhprfl, then
    > 14200 C + %trim(payym) + '/' a subfolder under that ccyymm, then in
    > 14300 C + %trim(payymd) + '/' a subfolder under that ccyymmdd, then the
    > 14400 C + %trim(JOBWS) + '_' file name is job workstation, user, number,
    > 14500 C + %trim(JOBUSR) + '_' spool file, user data (if any) and .pdf

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com[/QUOTE]

    Can you please send me your files (user exit program) on how you converted spool files to PDF.

    I understand the concept of creating the psf and the device, but am unclear on how to get user data (invoice#_company job number) into the name of the PDF on the IFS.

    Thanks for your help!

+ Reply to Thread