iseries access licenses - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on iseries access licenses - IBM AS400 ; I am doing some work for a company with a 270. They have 20 client licenses. I am not sure what tier this falls into (software). Can they purchase up to *nomax for the difference in the 20 they have ...

  1. iseries access licenses

    I am doing some work for a company with a 270. They have 20 client
    licenses. I am not sure what tier this falls into (software). Can
    they purchase up to *nomax for the difference in the 20 they have and
    whatever the ceiling # of clients is?

    Also, how does it track users of the 20 things. If I have three
    sessions open on a PC, that's still just one user, correct? Doesn't
    it go by IP address or something like that??

    thanks

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  2. Re: iseries access licenses

    ga wrote:
    > I am doing some work for a company with a 270. They have 20 client
    > licenses. I am not sure what tier this falls into (software). Can
    > they purchase up to *nomax for the difference in the 20 they have and
    > whatever the ceiling # of clients is?
    >
    > Also, how does it track users of the 20 things. If I have three
    > sessions open on a PC, that's still just one user, correct? Doesn't
    > it go by IP address or something like that??
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > ga
    > nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

    I believe you are asking about iSeries Access for Windows ( also known
    as Client Access ). If they have a Current Software Maint. Contract AND
    they are running V5R3 or V5R4 of the OS then they can purchase
    additional licenses and get to NOMAX.

    I'm not 100% sure how the system tracks licenses but it should be based
    on the Device/PC since I can sign on 3 time from the same device and
    only need '1' license. It may be IP or somem other token passed between
    the PC and the system.

  3. Re: iseries access licenses

    ga wrote:
    > I am doing some work for a company with a 270. They have 20 client
    > licenses. I am not sure what tier this falls into (software). Can
    > they purchase up to *nomax for the difference in the 20 they have and
    > whatever the ceiling # of clients is?
    >
    > Also, how does it track users of the 20 things. If I have three
    > sessions open on a PC, that's still just one user, correct? Doesn't
    > it go by IP address or something like that??

    Or you can just change to *nomax ;-)
    You can enter *nomax, even if you have 5 user license. I don't it tracks
    anything, or it doesn't track really well :-) I think IBM knows that,
    but they don't make any problems.

    --
    Dejan
    Remove wirus from e-mail address