ZIP Question! - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on ZIP Question! - IBM AS400 ; Hello everyone! I have created multiple SAVFILES on my 400 and move them over to a Windows machine using FTP. Now I would like to ZIP them into a single compressed file. As I did so, the 57GB SAVFILES were ...

  1. ZIP Question!

    Hello everyone!

    I have created multiple SAVFILES on my 400 and move them over to a
    Windows machine using FTP. Now I would like to ZIP them into a single
    compressed file. As I did so, the 57GB SAVFILES were compressed to a
    10GB ZIP File! Is that really correct? ZIP format really has this high
    compress ration when handling SAVFILES?

    Thanks,
    Erik

  2. Re: ZIP Question!

    Erik wrote:

    > I have created multiple SAVFILES on my 400 and move them over to a
    > Windows machine using FTP. Now I would like to ZIP them into a single
    > compressed file. As I did so, the 57GB SAVFILES were compressed to a
    > 10GB ZIP File! Is that really correct? ZIP format really has this high
    > compress ration when handling SAVFILES?

    The default value on DTACPR() parameter is *DEV, and the default is a
    somewhat simplified compression in order to reduce its impact on length
    of time for the save. On newer releases [since V5R3] some additional
    compression levels have been added for those that want to have higher
    software-implemented compression ratios; the *DEV defaults to the old
    compression level [for compatibility] which can now be denoted with the
    special value *LOW. See the Help Text for the DTACPR parameter on the
    SAVOBJ command.

    Regards, Chuck

  3. Re: ZIP Question!

    Hi,

    You can use the GNU "GZIP".
    It's an tool generate and decompress ZIP file (PC Format)
    You can ZIP an IFS file like your savefile.
    The site is http://www.gzip.org/index-f.html
    Try and see the size on the compress file.

    Best regards,
    Jean-Philippe

  4. Re: ZIP Question!

    On Aug 6, 1:49*pm, "Jean-Philippe BALLAT" Philippe.Bal...@orange.fr> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > You can use the GNU "GZIP".
    > It's an tool generate and decompress ZIP file (PC Format)
    > You can ZIP an IFS file like your savefile.
    > The site ishttp://www.gzip.org/index-f.html
    > Try and see the size on the compress file.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Jean-Philippe

    Hello! Thanks for the reply!

    Actually I am ziping the savfiles on a Windows Machine. I have already
    transferrend them using FTP. Since the compress ratio was so high,
    from 57GB to 10GB I wondered if the files have suffered any kind of
    corruption.

    Thanks!

  5. Re: ZIP Question!

    Erik wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 1:49 pm, "Jean-Philippe BALLAT" > Philippe.Bal...@orange.fr> wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You can use the GNU "GZIP".
    >> It's an tool generate and decompress ZIP file (PC Format)
    >> You can ZIP an IFS file like your savefile.
    >> The site ishttp://www.gzip.org/index-f.html
    >> Try and see the size on the compress file.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> Jean-Philippe

    > Hello! Thanks for the reply!
    >
    > Actually I am ziping the savfiles on a Windows Machine. I have already
    > transferrend them using FTP. Since the compress ratio was so high,
    > from 57GB to 10GB I wondered if the files have suffered any kind of
    > corruption.
    >
    > Thanks!

    If you left the DTACPR set to *dev, then yes I might expect that kind of
    gain. Try a test save to a savf using *YES, then FTp and zip to see hoe
    it goes.

  6. Re: ZIP Question!

    GZIP and AJAR can't handle zip files that exceed 2gb

    "Jean-Philippe BALLAT" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > You can use the GNU "GZIP".
    > It's an tool generate and decompress ZIP file (PC Format)
    > You can ZIP an IFS file like your savefile.
    > The site is http://www.gzip.org/index-f.html
    > Try and see the size on the compress file.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Jean-Philippe

+ Reply to Thread