HDD removal from i5 515 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on HDD removal from i5 515 - IBM AS400 ; Hi. I have 4 4327 in ASP1 with RAID5 protection. I need to remove one of them (I can use raid5 on 3 4327 disks). What's the best and fastest method? Shall I remove this disk from ASP1 first, then ...

  1. HDD removal from i5 515

    Hi.

    I have 4 4327 in ASP1 with RAID5 protection.
    I need to remove one of them (I can use raid5 on 3 4327 disks).

    What's the best and fastest method?

    Shall I remove this disk from ASP1 first, then stop raid protection and
    start on 3 disks again ?

    Tomasz

  2. Re: HDD removal from i5 515

    On Aug 5, 6:43*am, tomasz wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have 4 4327 in ASP1 with RAID5 protection.
    > I need to remove one of them (I can use raid5 on 3 4327 disks).
    >
    > What's the best and fastest method?
    >
    > Shall I remove this disk from ASP1 first, then stop raid protection and
    > start on 3 disks again ?
    >
    > Tomasz

    my 525 came out with raid and I wanted mirroring, so I first had to
    stop the raiding, then turn it on. If you remove the drive first, I
    think you will be in trouble, I think you need to stop raid
    protection, then do the commands for removal (so it will push any data
    off the drive), then start raiding back up again.

  3. Re: HDD removal from i5 515

    trans am kid wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 6:43 am, tomasz wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I have 4 4327 in ASP1 with RAID5 protection.
    >> I need to remove one of them (I can use raid5 on 3 4327 disks).
    >>
    >> What's the best and fastest method?
    >>
    >> Shall I remove this disk from ASP1 first, then stop raid protection and
    >> start on 3 disks again ?
    >>
    >> Tomasz

    > my 525 came out with raid and I wanted mirroring, so I first had to
    > stop the raiding, then turn it on. If you remove the drive first, I
    > think you will be in trouble, I think you need to stop raid
    > protection, then do the commands for removal (so it will push any data
    > off the drive), then start raiding back up again.

    Yes using DST Remove the drive from the ASP. Then stop raid. Remove the
    drive and then start Raid again. BEWARE if you have any disk intensive
    applications, yo will suffer a performance hit with only 3 drives in the
    set.

  4. Re: HDD removal from i5 515

    Kirk Goins pisze:
    > trans am kid wrote:
    >> On Aug 5, 6:43 am, tomasz wrote:
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> I have 4 4327 in ASP1 with RAID5 protection.
    >>> I need to remove one of them (I can use raid5 on 3 4327 disks).
    >>>
    >>> What's the best and fastest method?
    >>>
    >>> Shall I remove this disk from ASP1 first, then stop raid protection and
    >>> start on 3 disks again ?
    >>>
    >>> Tomasz

    >> my 525 came out with raid and I wanted mirroring, so I first had to
    >> stop the raiding, then turn it on. If you remove the drive first, I
    >> think you will be in trouble, I think you need to stop raid
    >> protection, then do the commands for removal (so it will push any data
    >> off the drive), then start raiding back up again.

    > Yes using DST Remove the drive from the ASP. Then stop raid. Remove the
    > drive and then start Raid again. BEWARE if you have any disk intensive
    > applications, yo will suffer a performance hit with only 3 drives in the
    > set.

    Thanks.
    My configuration is
    8x4326 (36GB) in system unit, and 9x4326 on 0595 tower.
    All I want to do i remove 3x36GB from 0595 and insert 6x4327 which is 70GB.
    I'm planning to do:

    - remove 3x36GB from ASP1
    - stop raid protection
    - remove 3x36GB from 0595
    - start raid protection on 14x36GB
    - install 6x70GB
    - add them to ASP1
    - start raid protection (another set I think) on 6x70GB

    Is it correct ?

    Tomasz

  5. Re: HDD removal from i5 515

    tomasz wrote:
    > Kirk Goins pisze:
    >> trans am kid wrote:

    >>> my 525 came out with raid and I wanted mirroring, so I first had to
    >>> stop the raiding, then turn it on. If you remove the drive first, I
    >>> think you will be in trouble, I think you need to stop raid
    >>> protection, then do the commands for removal (so it will push any data
    >>> off the drive), then start raiding back up again.

    >> Yes using DST Remove the drive from the ASP. Then stop raid. Remove
    >> the drive and then start Raid again. BEWARE if you have any disk
    >> intensive applications, yo will suffer a performance hit with only 3
    >> drives in the set.

    > Thanks.
    > My configuration is
    > 8x4326 (36GB) in system unit, and 9x4326 on 0595 tower.
    > All I want to do i remove 3x36GB from 0595 and insert 6x4327 which is 70GB.
    > I'm planning to do:
    >
    > - remove 3x36GB from ASP1
    > - stop raid protection
    > - remove 3x36GB from 0595
    > - start raid protection on 14x36GB
    > - install 6x70GB
    > - add them to ASP1
    > - start raid protection (another set I think) on 6x70GB
    >
    > Is it correct ?
    >
    > Tomasz

    Close... Since raid is at teh controller level and you are not changing
    anything in the CPU, then there is no need to stop the raid protection
    on those disks. Just the drives in the 0595. 2nd I would suggest this seq.

    - remove 3x36GB from ASP1
    - stop raid protection on the drive in the 0595
    - remove 3x36GB from 0595
    - install 6x70GB
    - start raid protection on the drives in the 0595
    - add the 6 70GB to ASP1
    Note: After starting Raid, go directly to adding the drives to the
    ASP. If you do adding the drives to the ASP will take just a minute or
    2. If you decide to navigate around and check this and check that
    first, the system will decide it needs to initialize the drives as
    part of the add and can take an hour or more.

+ Reply to Thread