Xerces as pre-compiled package? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Xerces as pre-compiled package? - IBM AS400 ; I would like to know if I can get Xerces in a pre-compiled form from anywhere. We have V5R2M0 right now. Thanks!...

  1. Xerces as pre-compiled package?

    I would like to know if I can get Xerces in a pre-compiled form from
    anywhere. We have V5R2M0 right now. Thanks!

  2. Re: Xerces as pre-compiled package?

    Why would you want to? Even on a slow machine I'd be surprised if it
    took more than 1 - 2 hours to compile at OPTIMIZE level 40. And by
    compiling it yourself, you should have a better feeling about how
    secure your set-up is.

  3. Re: Xerces as pre-compiled package?

    On Aug 5, 4:22*am, "walker.l2" wrote:
    > Why would you want to? Even on a slow machine I'd be surprised if it
    > took more than 1 - 2 hours to compile at OPTIMIZE level 40. And by
    > compiling it yourself, you should have a better feeling about how
    > secure your set-up is.

    I guess one problem is that I don't know how to get the thing
    compiled. It uses GNU stuff which is fine because I found the GNU
    utilities on IBM's site and got them installed. I also found the 400
    build instructions on Apache's website. Problem is, it doesn't work.
    The problem seems to be the 'icc' compiler. It is not using
    commandline argument (--version) the 'runConfigure' shell script is
    expecting. I believe I have the latest GNU stuff installed and the
    latest Xerces stuff. We are using V5R2M0 at the moment.

    Either I'm ignorant of the 400's capabilities or I'm just puzzled as
    to why IBM doesn't already have a standard library installed that does
    XML for C/C++ folks. Using C/C++ on the 400 is a royal PITA in a
    company that didn't even really know what C was in the first place. I
    can go on forever about all the crap I have to go through but we'll
    skip that drama.

  4. Re: Xerces as pre-compiled package?

    Ah sorry, I thought you were talking about the Java version of Xerces,
    not the C / C++ version.

    Do you have 5733-XT1 (XML Toolkit) installed on your AS/400? Or are
    you trying to build Xerces yourself from source downloaded direct from
    apache.org?

  5. Re: Xerces as pre-compiled package?

    On Aug 7, 6:18*am, "walker.l2" wrote:
    > Ah sorry, I thought you were talking about the Java version of Xerces,
    > not the C / C++ version.
    >
    > Do you have 5733-XT1 (XML Toolkit) installed on your AS/400? Or are
    > you trying to build Xerces yourself from source downloaded direct from
    > apache.org?

    We don't have the XML Toolkit yet and I don't know when we'll get it.
    I'd like to get the latest Xerces for myself but I'm having a cow
    trying to get it to compile. I'm trying to build the source from
    Apache and of course, it doesn't work.

    http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/bu...r.html#iSeries

+ Reply to Thread