Moving disks to new server - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Moving disks to new server - IBM AS400 ; Hello, I am a unix person who has to learn As400 fast. I have a 9406-170 running V5R2. It is out of Warranty and I need to upgrade it. I was able to find a 9406-270 and was wondering if ...

  1. Moving disks to new server

    Hello, I am a unix person who has to learn As400 fast. I have a
    9406-170 running V5R2. It is out of Warranty and I need to upgrade it.

    I was able to find a 9406-270 and was wondering if I would be able to
    just move the disks to the bigger box. They seem to be the same
    vintage.

    I realize I will need to verify that the processor and memory to be
    sure there is more in the 270.

    What commands do I need to run to check proc and memory and what other
    concerns should I look for (twinax, etc)

    Thanks so much for your help

  2. Re: Moving disks to new server

    where located?
    what ver/rel is the 270?
    www.michsoft.com

    On Aug 3, 9:54*pm, hele...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello, I am a unix person who has to learn As400 fast. I have a
    > 9406-170 running V5R2. It is out of Warranty and I need to upgrade it.
    >
    > I was able to find a 9406-270 and was wondering if I would be able to
    > just move the disks to the bigger box. They seem to be the same
    > vintage.
    >
    > I realize I will need to verify that the processor and memory *to be
    > sure there is more in the 270.
    >
    > What commands do I need to run to check proc and memory and what other
    > concerns should I look for (twinax, etc)
    >
    > Thanks so much for your help

  3. Re: Moving disks to new server

    On Aug 3, 9:15*pm, JHL wrote:
    > where located?
    > what ver/rel is the 270?www.michsoft.com
    >
    > On Aug 3, 9:54*pm, hele...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hello, I am a unix person who has to learn As400 fast. I have a
    > > 9406-170 running V5R2. It is out of Warranty and I need to upgrade it.

    > > I was able to find a 9406-270 and was wondering if I would be able to
    > > just move the disks to the bigger box. They seem to be the same
    > > vintage.

    > > I realize I will need to verify that the processor and memory *to be
    > > sure there is more in the 270.

    > > What commands do I need to run to check proc and memory and what other
    > > concerns should I look for (twinax, etc)

    > > Thanks so much for your help

    Located in NC. The 270 is an older version/rel V4R? but the disk will
    be pulled out of the 270 and replaced with the 170's disk. This should
    move the whole OS and data from the 170 to the 270, correct? Looking
    for some advice.

  4. Re: Moving disks to new server

    On Aug 3, 8:54*pm, hele...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello, I am a unix person who has to learn As400 fast. I have a
    > 9406-170 running V5R2. It is out of Warranty and I need to upgrade it.
    >
    > I was able to find a 9406-270 and was wondering if I would be able to
    > just move the disks to the bigger box. They seem to be the same
    > vintage.
    >
    > I realize I will need to verify that the processor and memory *to be
    > sure there is more in the 270.
    >
    > What commands do I need to run to check proc and memory and what other
    > concerns should I look for (twinax, etc)
    >
    > Thanks so much for your help

    I would think you could expect lots of serial number related licensing
    issues even if you could do this.

    (I do both AS400 and HP-UX administration and lot of the concepts
    about disk storage are not the same.)

    Scott

  5. Re: Moving disks to new server

    heleads@gmail.com wrote in news:bb0de821-122c-4fa8-ae11-efcc01264a00
    @l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello, I am a unix person who has to learn As400 fast. I have a
    > 9406-170 running V5R2. It is out of Warranty and I need to upgrade it.
    >
    > I was able to find a 9406-270 and was wondering if I would be able to
    > just move the disks to the bigger box. They seem to be the same
    > vintage.
    >
    > I realize I will need to verify that the processor and memory to be
    > sure there is more in the 270.
    >
    > What commands do I need to run to check proc and memory and what other
    > concerns should I look for (twinax, etc)
    >
    > Thanks so much for your help

    170 is some years older and (170 started at V4R3 an 270 at V4R5)
    physically the disks have different brackets, the 170 disks do not fit in a
    270.

    --
    Ad,

    What's The Use Of Getting Sober
    (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

  6. Re: Moving disks to new server

    there are a lot of issues to address. no, you can not just move the
    disk from 170 to the 270. would you consider outside help for your
    migration?