BRMS Problem - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on BRMS Problem - IBM AS400 ; Hi, I have small problem with BRMS. I have a Scratch pool of approx 60 expired media. My backup failed due to not being able to find a usable tape in the tape libarary. This however was not the case. ...

  1. BRMS Problem

    Hi,

    I have small problem with BRMS.

    I have a Scratch pool of approx 60 expired media.

    My backup failed due to not being able to find a usable tape in the
    tape libarary.

    This however was not the case. Prior to the backup I ensured that two
    tapes we loaded in the tape library, both of these tapes were expired
    and displayed on the scratch list.

    The backup failed.

    You can see in the BRMS log (DSPBRMLOG) that the backup started, it
    made 20 or so attempts to locate a scratch tape, the message
    "Cartridge Axxxxx not available" is clearly displayed and then failed.

    Each of the attempts and subsequent error messages refer to tapes that
    are expired but not loaded.

    It is my understanding that BRMS would be able to use any of the 60
    expired tapes for the backup as long as they are expired.

    Why is then, that when attempting to locate a tape during the backup
    it only attempts to find the first 20 or so tapes on the Scratch list
    and doesn't look through the whole scratch pool.

    If you have any answers or questions, please reply.

    Thanks,

    DJM014.

  2. Re: BRMS Problem

    On Aug 2, 4:18 am, DJM014 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > You can see in the BRMS log (DSPBRMLOG) that the backup started, it
    > made 20 or so attempts to locate a scratch tape, the message
    > "Cartridge Axxxxx not available" is clearly displayed and then failed.

    Does the joblog contain anything further?
    As you are using a tape library, are the tapes you have loaded in a
    usable category? Without more details from the joblog on the error
    (like the error code etc), it's hard to go any further.

  3. Re: BRMS Problem

    On my system, I run the command WRKTAPCTG tape_device_name and make all the
    tapes available. Occasionally the WRKTAPCTG command does not change the
    tapes' location to the tape device, so I always run a WRKMEDBRM
    LOC(tape_device_name) to make sure the command worked.

    Hope this helps,
    Jim

    wrote in message
    > On Aug 2, 4:18 am, DJM014 wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You can see in the BRMS log (DSPBRMLOG) that the backup started, it
    >> made 20 or so attempts to locate a scratch tape, the message
    >> "Cartridge Axxxxx not available" is clearly displayed and then failed.
    >>

    > Does the joblog contain anything further?
    > As you are using a tape library, are the tapes you have loaded in a
    > usable category? Without more details from the joblog on the error
    > (like the error code etc), it's hard to go any further.

+ Reply to Thread