Here are some simple steps for PUTing and GETing... that always work
for me. (I had to trim this down from my original set of steps so I
hope I didn't leave anything out)

1. In DOS, type:
>ftp xxx.xxx.xx.x

2. Enter your ISeries userid and password:
(user)
(password)

3. If you are FTPing a *SAVF, you will need to transfer it in binary
format. (For data files you do NOT do this!) At the DOS prompt,
simply type:
>binary

4. There are two commands that will get data between the iSeries and
your PC - PUT & GET. Determine which one you need to use.
Put will "PUT" something from your PC onto the iSeries.
Get will "GET" something from the iSeries and place it onto your PC.

5. To PUT a *SAVF from your PC to your iSeries. Type the following:
>PUT

6. The next DOS prompt you will see wants to know what the name of the
local file is. "Local" is your PC. Type in the name of the save file
as it appears on your PC.
local file:> C:\dir\filename.xxx
xxx = .svf for save file

7. Now, it will ask for the remote file name. This is the iSeries
location. Libraries are simply .lib items, files are .file items, save
files are .savf items--and so on. If I were to PUT a *SAVF (I'll call
it item1) into a library called TEST, here's what the command would
look like:
remote file:> /qsys.lib/test.lib/item1.savf
xxxx will be as follows: .savf for save file
.file for others

10. The GET operation is just the reverse of what is outlined above.

11. quit

12. exit

Here are some additional commands that may come in handy… when you
need to troubleshoot a failing PUT command:

Before issuing the PUT, issue the following:
quote rcmd ovrprtf *prtf hold(*YES) splfown(*curusrprf)
ovrscope(*job)

After the failing PUT, issue the following:
quote rcmd dspjoblog output(*PRINT)
syscmd wrksplf select(*current)

Paul