Printing Setup Question - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Printing Setup Question - IBM AS400 ; Fairly new to as400 still, so hopefully this is easy. We have printing set up from the as400 to a standard laser printer (HP4250) and that works fine. We have a new program which is trying to print legal sized ...

  1. Printing Setup Question

    Fairly new to as400 still, so hopefully this is easy.

    We have printing set up from the as400 to a standard laser printer
    (HP4250) and that works fine. We have a new program which is trying to
    print legal sized paper and we can send that to the printer, but the
    output stops at the standard letter sized sheet even on legal paper.

    I want to be able to release files to that printer to print on legal
    paper. Now I know the output queue is P4200OPS. I believe that the
    settings (Page size, Lines per inch, etc) I will need to adjust are in
    the file description of the Printer File...but I haven't figured out
    which printer file that queue outputs to.

    Am I on the right track here, or am I going about this all wrong?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Printing Setup Question

    On Jul 28, 9:52*am, angus wrote:
    > Fairly new to as400 still, so hopefully this is easy.
    >
    > We have printing set up from the as400 to a standard laser printer
    > (HP4250) and that works fine. We have a new program which is trying to
    > print legal sized paper and we can send that to the printer, but the
    > output stops at the standard letter sized sheet even on legal paper.
    >
    > I want to be able to release files to that printer to print on legal
    > paper. Now I know the output queue is P4200OPS. I believe that the
    > settings (Page size, Lines per inch, etc) I will need to adjust are in
    > the file description of the Printer File...but I haven't figured out
    > which printer file that queue outputs to.
    >
    > Am I on the right track here, or am I going about this all wrong?
    >
    > Thanks.

    look at the printer spec in the code. That will give you the name of
    the printfile. If it doesn't exist it may be overriding to qprint in
    the CL.

  3. Re: Printing Setup Question

    Might not be asking the right question, but the vendor is saying to
    configure for legal sized output, though I'm trying to get more info
    out of them.

    Would the paper size be configured anywhere beside the printer device
    file?

  4. Re: Printing Setup Question

    Do the following:

    Create the spooled file.
    Go to the output queue and display the attributes of the spooled file.
    Look for the printer device file attribute.
    Change the printer device file attributes for the paper size.

    Keep in mind a couple of things. If you don't want the file to print
    you'll need to hold the output queue or stop the writer for the printer.
    This will allow you to look at the spooled file before it is printed
    and deleted. You may not want to change the printer file if it is a
    common printer file such as qprint in library qgpl or qsysprt in library
    qsys, as it would affect the paper size for all spooled files created
    using that printer file. If the printer file being used by the
    application is a common printer file, then the application needs to be
    modified, or a wrapper placed around the application to override the
    printer file attributes (such as a simple CL program). Overriding
    attributes can be a tricky and frustrating experience, especially if the
    application prints multiple different documents all having differing
    requirements (such as page size).

    There is a remote possibility that the paper size is set by the
    application. The application would need to be using DDS or generating
    the print data stream. If such is the case, the application would need
    to be modified.

    This topic comes up quite frequently within this forum. There also are
    software knowledge documents in the iSeries Software Knowledge base that
    describe how to do things like changing the paper size.

    --
    Rodney A Johnson
    Working on a new project. Former technical team Lead for i5/OS (AS/400)

    my employer, IBM. All responsibility for the statements
    sender.

+ Reply to Thread