SQL pre-compiler code begone! - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on SQL pre-compiler code begone! - IBM AS400 ; Is there any way of preventing the ugly, uggly RPG code that the SQL pre-compiler is generating from polluting the compiler listing? In other words: Is there a way to suppress the code generated by the SQL pre-compiler when using ...

  1. SQL pre-compiler code begone!

    Is there any way of preventing the ugly, uggly RPG code that the SQL
    pre-compiler is generating from polluting the compiler listing?

    In other words: Is there a way to suppress the code generated by the SQL
    pre-compiler when using embedded SQL in RPG programs?

    This code is especially annoying when using the /free syntax - it is so
    old-school RPG/400 style. And frankly, why would you want to see this code
    anyway? The SQL statement says it all. I'm really not interested in the
    internal workings of the RPG/SQL relationship.

    OS: V5R3M0 with R4 style free SQL syntax enabled through PTFs.

  2. Re: SQL pre-compiler code begone!

    I agree its ugly, but why do you need to look at it? I haven't looked
    at a compiler listing for years. The IDE prompts all the errors, and
    its easier to read the source there anyway because its color coded.

  3. Re: SQL pre-compiler code begone!

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:38:14 +0200, Kaj Julius wrote:

    > Is there any way of preventing the ugly, uggly RPG code that the SQL
    > pre-compiler is generating from polluting the compiler listing?
    >
    > In other words: Is there a way to suppress the code generated by the SQL
    > pre-compiler when using embedded SQL in RPG programs?
    >
    > This code is especially annoying when using the /free syntax - it is so
    > old-school RPG/400 style. And frankly, why would you want to see this
    > code anyway? The SQL statement says it all. I'm really not interested in
    > the internal workings of the RPG/SQL relationship.
    >
    > OS: V5R3M0 with R4 style free SQL syntax enabled through PTFs.

    Kaj,

    Let me check my 5.4 system when I bet back in the office. I think it just
    has the sql statements, but then again I normally only look at the
    listing if there is a compile problem.

    Jason

    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Re: SQL pre-compiler code begone!

    The code you see is generated by the pre-compiler - its what RPG sees
    as input. No change V5.4.

  5. Re: SQL pre-compiler code begone!

    fwiw: You do not see the "ugly" code in the gui debugger ! At
    least thats a start, right ?

  6. Re: SQL pre-compiler code begone!

    "Graybeard" skrev i en meddelelse
    > fwiw: You do not see the "ugly" code in the gui debugger ! At
    > least thats a start, right ?

    Aha! More and more evidence is piling up to suggest that I should take
    another look at the WDSc. I did try it out a few years back but found it
    slow and lacking in functionality. That might have improved since then,
    though.

    You know what the say about teaching old dogs new tricks and all that... :-)

    The best solution would be if SQL was fully integrated into RPG (no
    pre-compiler needed). This would also allow any SQL errors to be handled by
    the MONITOR/ON-ERROR/ENDMON construct like normal RPG error. One must be
    allowed to dream, right?

  7. Re: SQL pre-compiler code begone!

    Kaj Julius wrote:
    > "Graybeard" skrev i en meddelelse
    >> fwiw: You do not see the "ugly" code in the gui debugger ! At
    >> least thats a start, right ?

    > Aha! More and more evidence is piling up to suggest that I should take
    > another look at the WDSc. I did try it out a few years back but found it
    > slow and lacking in functionality. That might have improved since then,
    > though.
    >
    > You know what the say about teaching old dogs new tricks and all that... :-)
    >
    > The best solution would be if SQL was fully integrated into RPG (no
    > pre-compiler needed). This would also allow any SQL errors to be handled by
    > the MONITOR/ON-ERROR/ENDMON construct like normal RPG error. One must be
    > allowed to dream, right?

    Not sure which "gui debugger" is meant, but the System Debugger is part
    of the OS - no other product/install is needed. It has different source
    views that can show or hide the generated code. Performance is generally
    on par with the green-screen debugger (in my experience).

    http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/i5/may0...er/8129p1.aspx
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ode=int_213493

    --
    Karl Hanson