Send alert when QSECOFR password is changed - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Send alert when QSECOFR password is changed - IBM AS400 ; For those of you familiar with the product NetIQ for the iSeries, I am looking for a way to send an alert when someone changes the password to QSECOFR (or any sensitive profile for that matter) The way NetIQ PSDetect ...

  1. Send alert when QSECOFR password is changed

    For those of you familiar with the product NetIQ for the iSeries, I am
    looking for a way to send an alert when someone changes the password
    to QSECOFR (or any sensitive profile for that matter)

    The way NetIQ PSDetect works is it pulls messages from the message
    queue. Since there is no message sent to a message queue when a
    profile is changed on the AS/400, I can't capture that and send it to
    PSDetect (NetIQ). So I was wondering am I missing something? Is
    there a message sent to a message queue? Is there another way I can
    set something up to alert me if the password is changed?

    Thanks in advance,

    Chris

  2. Re: Send alert when QSECOFR password is changed

    I haven't done it, but you might try an exit program. Check out the
    QIBM_QSY_CHG_PROFILE exit in the Info Center. (V5R3 Info Center here:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v5r3/index.jsp)

    Brief article here: http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg072005-story01.html

    Sam

    "Chris" wrote in message
    > For those of you familiar with the product NetIQ for the iSeries, I am
    > looking for a way to send an alert when someone changes the password
    > to QSECOFR (or any sensitive profile for that matter)
    >
    > The way NetIQ PSDetect works is it pulls messages from the message
    > queue. Since there is no message sent to a message queue when a
    > profile is changed on the AS/400, I can't capture that and send it to
    > PSDetect (NetIQ). So I was wondering am I missing something? Is
    > there a message sent to a message queue? Is there another way I can
    > set something up to alert me if the password is changed?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Chris

  3. Re: Send alert when QSECOFR password is changed

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:00:44 -0400, Saml wrote:

    > I haven't done it, but you might try an exit program. Check out the
    > QIBM_QSY_CHG_PROFILE exit in the Info Center. (V5R3 Info Center here:
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v5r3/index.jsp)
    >
    > Brief article here: http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg072005-story01.html
    >
    > Sam
    >

    > "Chris" wrote in message
    >> For those of you familiar with the product NetIQ for the iSeries, I am
    >> looking for a way to send an alert when someone changes the password to
    >> QSECOFR (or any sensitive profile for that matter)
    >>
    >> The way NetIQ PSDetect works is it pulls messages from the message
    >> queue. Since there is no message sent to a message queue when a
    >> profile is changed on the AS/400, I can't capture that and send it to
    >> PSDetect (NetIQ). So I was wondering am I missing something? Is there
    >> a message sent to a message queue? Is there another way I can set
    >> something up to alert me if the password is changed?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Chris

    This would be the way I would do it.

    Jason

    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Re: Send alert when QSECOFR password is changed

    "Chris" wrote in message
    | For those of you familiar with the product NetIQ for the iSeries, I
    am
    | looking for a way to send an alert when someone changes the password
    | to QSECOFR (or any sensitive profile for that matter)
    |
    | The way NetIQ PSDetect works is it pulls messages from the message
    | queue. Since there is no message sent to a message queue when a
    | profile is changed on the AS/400, I can't capture that and send it
    | PSDetect (NetIQ). So I was wondering am I missing something? Is
    | there a message sent to a message queue? Is there another way I can
    | set something up to alert me if the password is changed?
    |
    | Thanks in advance,
    |
    | Chris

    Chris,

    I think you should look into the audit journal feature that is already
    part of Sys-i.

    If you turn on audit journaling the system will create a journal that
    contains entries for all significant security related issues including
    password changes. You could then create a monitor program to receive
    journal entries. That program could run 24/7 waiting for the events
    you are concerned about and then send a message or do what ever you
    want.

    Mike Sicilian

+ Reply to Thread