Data Upload to AS/400 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Data Upload to AS/400 - IBM AS400 ; Hello, I have no experience with AS/400 systems, and I am trying to help the local sports organization with data upload to their AS/400 system. Currently scheuding data for various sport activities such as hockey, soccer, baseball, football, etc. are ...

  1. Data Upload to AS/400

    Hello,

    I have no experience with AS/400 systems, and I am trying to help the
    local sports organization with data upload to their AS/400 system.

    Currently scheuding data for various sport activities such as hockey,
    soccer, baseball, football, etc. are manually inputted into the AS/400
    system (which is some flavor of IBM CMS). The data is sent in by the
    various sporting groups.

    This manual input takes hours. My guess is there must be a way to
    automate this procedure. Users currently connect to the AS/400 from a
    IBM based PC using Boganova as the client.

    Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations? Can data upload be
    done, and what addition information is required in order to properly
    configure this?

    Thanks in advance.

    Mark

  2. Re: Data Upload to AS/400

    What format does the data from the sporting groups have? Excel
    spreadsheet, CSV, tab-delimited, something else?

    For a comprehensive guide to AS/400, see IBM's documentation:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...i5os/index.jsp

  3. Re: Data Upload to AS/400

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:00:41 -0700, buddd wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have no experience with AS/400 systems, and I am trying to help the
    > local sports organization with data upload to their AS/400 system.
    >
    > Currently scheuding data for various sport activities such as hockey,
    > soccer, baseball, football, etc. are manually inputted into the AS/400
    > system (which is some flavor of IBM CMS). The data is sent in by the
    > various sporting groups.
    >
    > This manual input takes hours. My guess is there must be a way to
    > automate this procedure. Users currently connect to the AS/400 from a
    > IBM based PC using Boganova as the client.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations? Can data upload be
    > done, and what addition information is required in order to properly
    > configure this?

    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mark

    Mark

    Yes it is possible but some upfront work needs to be done. First how is
    the data being sent? If it is being sent on paper then it is not going to
    help you much. You would still have to make it electronic to upload. If
    the data is coming in electronically then how is it formatted? I mean is
    it a .CSV .XLS, .TXT or what?

    After you get that settled then you need to look at the format of the
    files that they are imputing the data into. The programs in questions may
    update several files and you would have to do the same thing with an
    automatic upload.

    Basically it is possible, but you need to do some work to get there.

    Jason

    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Re: Data Upload to AS/400

    On Jul 25, 12:21*pm, Stupid Shoe wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:00:41 -0700, buddd wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I have no experience with AS/400 systems, and I am trying to help the
    > > local sports organization with data upload to their AS/400 system.

    > > Currently scheuding data for various sport activities such as hockey,
    > > soccer, baseball, football, etc. are manually inputted into the AS/400
    > > system (which is some flavor of IBM CMS). The data is sent in by the
    > > various sporting groups.

    > > This manual input takes hours. My guess is there must be a way to
    > > automate this procedure. Users currently connect to the AS/400 from a
    > > IBM based PC using Boganova as the client.

    > > Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations? Can data upload be
    > > done, and what addition information is required in order to properly
    > > configure this?

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > > Mark

    > Mark
    >
    > Yes it is possible but some upfront work needs to be done. First how is
    > the data being sent? If it is being sent on paper then it is not going to
    > help you much. You would still have to make it electronic to upload. If
    > the data is coming in electronically then how is it formatted? I mean is
    > it a .CSV .XLS, .TXT or what?
    >
    > After you get that settled then you need to look at the format of the
    > files that they are imputing the data into. The programs in questions may
    > update several files and you would have to do the same thing with an
    > automatic upload.
    >
    > Basically it is possible, but you need to do some work to get there.
    >
    > Jason
    >
    > *Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    > * * * * * * * *http://www.usenet.com- Hide quoted text -

    The data is submitted in electronic format by the various
    organizations to the city. The city clerk then manually inputs the
    data.

    The original data can be prepared in any format. Typically it is an
    Excel spreadsheet, but can be saved as a .csv file.

    Thanks,

    Mark

  5. Re: Data Upload to AS/400

    On Jul 25, 12:11*pm, buddd wrote:
    > On Jul 25, 12:21*pm, Stupid Shoe wrote:
    >

    > > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:00:41 -0700, buddd wrote:
    > > > Hello,

    > > > I have no experience with AS/400 systems, and I am trying to help the
    > > > local sports organization with data upload to their AS/400 system.

    > > > Currently scheuding data for various sport activities such as hockey,
    > > > soccer, baseball, football, etc. are manually inputted into the AS/400
    > > > system (which is some flavor of IBM CMS). The data is sent in by the
    > > > various sporting groups.

    > > > This manual input takes hours. My guess is there must be a way to
    > > > automate this procedure. Users currently connect to the AS/400 from a
    > > > IBM based PC using Boganova as the client.

    > > > Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations? Can data upload be
    > > > done, and what addition information is required in order to properly
    > > > configure this?

    > > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    > > > Thanks in advance.

    > > > Mark

    > > Mark

    > > Yes it is possible but some upfront work needs to be done. First how is
    > > the data being sent? If it is being sent on paper then it is not going to
    > > help you much. You would still have to make it electronic to upload. If
    > > the data is coming in electronically then how is it formatted? I mean is
    > > it a .CSV .XLS, .TXT or what?

    > > After you get that settled then you need to look at the format of the
    > > files that they are imputing the data into. The programs in questions may
    > > update several files and you would have to do the same thing with an
    > > automatic upload.

    > > Basically it is possible, but you need to do some work to get there.

    > > Jason

    > > *Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    > > * * * * * * * *http://www.usenet.com-Hide quoted text -

    > The data is submitted in electronic format by the various
    > organizations to the city. The city clerk then manually inputs the
    > data.
    >
    > The original data can be prepared in any format. Typically it is an
    > Excel spreadsheet, but can be saved as a .csv file.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark- Hide quoted text -

    Check out the excel addin C:\ProgramFiles\IBM\Client Access\Shared
    \cwbtfxla.xll. This will allow uploads and downloads to/from an
    iSeries server. You have to have Client Access installed with Excel
    support.

    Thad Rizzi

  6. Re: Data Upload to AS/400

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:11:40 -0700, buddd wrote:

    > On Jul 25, 12:21*pm, Stupid Shoe wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:00:41 -0700, buddd wrote:
    >> > Hello,

    >> > I have no experience with AS/400 systems, and I am trying to help the
    >> > local sports organization with data upload to their AS/400 system.

    >> > Currently scheuding data for various sport activities such as hockey,
    >> > soccer, baseball, football, etc. are manually inputted into the
    >> > AS/400 system (which is some flavor of IBM CMS). The data is sent in
    >> > by the various sporting groups.

    >> > This manual input takes hours. My guess is there must be a way to
    >> > automate this procedure. Users currently connect to the AS/400 from a
    >> > IBM based PC using Boganova as the client.

    >> > Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations? Can data upload
    >> > be done, and what addition information is required in order to
    >> > properly configure this?

    >> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    >> > Thanks in advance.

    >> > Mark

    >> Mark
    >>
    >> Yes it is possible but some upfront work needs to be done. First how is
    >> the data being sent? If it is being sent on paper then it is not going
    >> to help you much. You would still have to make it electronic to upload.
    >> If the data is coming in electronically then how is it formatted? I
    >> mean is it a .CSV .XLS, .TXT or what?
    >>
    >> After you get that settled then you need to look at the format of the
    >> files that they are imputing the data into. The programs in questions
    >> may update several files and you would have to do the same thing with
    >> an automatic upload.
    >>
    >> Basically it is possible, but you need to do some work to get there.
    >>
    >> Jason
    >>
    >> *Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    >> * * * * * * * *http://www.usenet.com- Hide quoted text -

    > The data is submitted in electronic format by the various organizations
    > to the city. The city clerk then manually inputs the data.
    >
    > The original data can be prepared in any format. Typically it is an
    > Excel spreadsheet, but can be saved as a .csv file.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

    Check the programs that upload the data. You may need to run a trace to
    see which files the manual entry are updating. Then what you could do is
    write a program that reads the .csv file and puts the data right in the
    files. You can either just dump the .csv into a table and then process
    that, or you can use RPG to read the data right out of the .CSV files
    themselves.

    Jason

    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Re: Data Upload to AS/400

    An other option would be to put the CSV file in the IFS, then create a
    Physical File with the same layout, then use CPYFRMIMPF and it should
    copy the data from the CSV file right into the PF.

    Brad
    www.bvstools.com

  8. Re: Data Upload to AS/400

    On Jul 25, 6:42*pm, Stupid Shoe wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jul200812:11:40 -0700, buddd wrote:

    > >> Mark

    > >> Yes it is possible but some upfront work needs to be done. First how is
    > >> the data being sent? If it is being sent on paper then it is not going
    > >> to help you much. You would still have to make it electronic to upload..
    > >> If the data is coming in electronically then how is it formatted? I
    > >> mean is it a .CSV .XLS, .TXT or what?

    > >> After you get that settled then you need to look at the format of the
    > >> files that they are imputing the data into. The programs in questions
    > >> may update several files and you would have to do the same thing with
    > >> an automatic upload.

    > >> Basically it is possible, but you need to do some work to get there.

    > >> Jason

    > >> *Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    > >> * * * * * * * *http://www.usenet.com-Hide quoted text -

    > > The data is submitted in electronic format by the various organizations
    > > to the city. The city clerk then manually inputs the data.

    > > The original data can be prepared in any format. Typically it is an
    > > Excel spreadsheet, but can be saved as a .csv file.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Mark

    > Check the programs that upload the data. You may need to run a trace to
    > see which files the manual entry are updating. Then what you could do is
    > write a program that reads the .csv file and puts the data right in the
    > files. You can either just dump the .csv into a table and then process
    > that, or you can use RPG to read the data right out of the .CSV files
    > themselves.
    >
    > Jason
    >
    > *Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    > * * * * * * * *http://www.usenet.com- Hide quoted text -

    Mark, you may want to seriously consider bolting on a license of
    Client Access on your AS400 - what you need to achieve can be easily
    done with C/A. If this is not an option, have your in-house
    programmer create a CL program that uses the cpyf command and get the
    data pumped that way. Additionally, Excel 2000 and beyond has data
    extraction capabilities as long as the client workstation can reach
    the host (AS400) - you should also be able to specify a desireable
    file format for the download.

    Jeremy
    www.microtechie.com

+ Reply to Thread