Modem help - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Modem help - IBM AS400 ; We have an EDI app that uses a modem to dial a consolidator (unbelievable, but stranger things still exist in this environment). I need to get a similar modem to put on our DR box. The existing (functioning) modem on ...

  1. Modem help

    We have an EDI app that uses a modem to dial a consolidator
    (unbelievable, but stranger things still exist in this environment).
    I need to get a similar modem to put on our DR box.

    The existing (functioning) modem on the production system is a US
    Robotics Courier "V.32 with ASL". I got a couple of (allegedly) new
    Courier modems off ebay, and neither one of them will work with the
    EDI app. One says it's a "V.34 Fax with V.32 bis"; the other says
    it's "v.everything with V.34". Does anyone familiar with the Courier
    product line know if the ones I got are newer than the one I'm trying
    to mimic?

    I'm pretty ignorant about modems. How can I tell what's "in" the
    existing "V.32 with ASL" modem, i.e. what has been flashed to it and
    what's stored in its non-volatile memory? It's currently hooked up to
    the iSeries and uses an *ASYNC line description; here are some of the
    basic parameter settings for the *LIND:

    RSRCNAME CMN12
    ONLINE *NO
    INTERFACE *RS232V24
    CNN *SWTPP
    VRYWAIT *NOWAIT
    AUTOCALL *NO
    MODEM *NORMAL
    MODEMRATE *FULL
    SWTCNN *DIAL
    AUTOANS *NO
    AUTOANSTYP *DTR
    AUTODIAL *YES
    DIALCMD *OTHER
    SETMDMASC *NONE
    CALLNBR *NONE
    THRESHOLD *OFF
    BITSCHAR 8
    PARITY *NONE
    STOPBITS 1
    DUPLEX *FULL
    ECHO *NONE
    LINESPEED 19200
    MAXBUFFER 256
    FLOWCNTL *YES
    XONCHAR 11
    XOFFCHAR 13
    INACTTMR *NOMAX
    IDLTMR 30
    DSRDRPTMR 6
    CTSTMR 25
    RMTANSTMR 60
    CMNRCYLMT
    Count limit 2
    Time interval 5

  2. Re: Modem help

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:30:40 -0700, Jonathan Ball wrote:

    > We have an EDI app that uses a modem to dial a consolidator
    > (unbelievable, but stranger things still exist in this environment). I
    > need to get a similar modem to put on our DR box.
    >
    > The existing (functioning) modem on the production system is a US
    > Robotics Courier "V.32 with ASL". I got a couple of (allegedly) new
    > Courier modems off ebay, and neither one of them will work with the EDI
    > app. One says it's a "V.34 Fax with V.32 bis"; the other says it's
    > "v.everything with V.34". Does anyone familiar with the Courier product
    > line know if the ones I got are newer than the one I'm trying to mimic?
    >
    > I'm pretty ignorant about modems. How can I tell what's "in" the
    > existing "V.32 with ASL" modem, i.e. what has been flashed to it and
    > what's stored in its non-volatile memory? It's currently hooked up to
    > the iSeries and uses an *ASYNC line description; here are some of the
    > basic parameter settings for the *LIND:
    >
    > RSRCNAME CMN12
    > ONLINE *NO
    > INTERFACE *RS232V24
    > CNN *SWTPP
    > VRYWAIT *NOWAIT
    > AUTOCALL *NO
    > MODEM *NORMAL
    > MODEMRATE *FULL
    > SWTCNN *DIAL
    > AUTOANS *NO
    > AUTOANSTYP *DTR
    > AUTODIAL *YES
    > DIALCMD *OTHER
    > SETMDMASC *NONE
    > CALLNBR *NONE
    > THRESHOLD *OFF
    > BITSCHAR 8
    > PARITY *NONE
    > STOPBITS 1
    > DUPLEX *FULL
    > ECHO *NONE
    > LINESPEED 19200
    > MAXBUFFER 256
    > FLOWCNTL *YES
    > XONCHAR 11
    > XOFFCHAR 13
    > INACTTMR *NOMAX
    > IDLTMR 30
    > DSRDRPTMR 6
    > CTSTMR 25
    > RMTANSTMR 60
    > CMNRCYLMT
    > Count limit 2
    > Time interval 5

    The first thing I would check is the dip switches on the modem. Match the
    new modem to the ones on the old modem. If they are the same brand then
    they should be the same. If you create the same exact line controller &
    device discriptions on the HA system it should then work. However, you may
    be effected by the line speeds if you are using a different hardware
    controller.

    If you can't get things to work I would contact IBM support.

    Jason

    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Re: Modem help

    On Jul 14, 5:29 pm, Stupid Shoe wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:30:40 -0700, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > > We have an EDI app that uses a modem to dial a consolidator
    > > (unbelievable, but stranger things still exist in this environment). I
    > > need to get a similar modem to put on our DR box.

    > > The existing (functioning) modem on the production system is a US
    > > Robotics Courier "V.32 with ASL". I got a couple of (allegedly) new
    > > Courier modems off ebay, and neither one of them will work with the EDI
    > > app. One says it's a "V.34 Fax with V.32 bis"; the other says it's
    > > "v.everything with V.34". Does anyone familiar with the Courier product
    > > line know if the ones I got are newer than the one I'm trying to mimic?

    > > I'm pretty ignorant about modems. How can I tell what's "in" the
    > > existing "V.32 with ASL" modem, i.e. what has been flashed to it and
    > > what's stored in its non-volatile memory? It's currently hooked up to
    > > the iSeries and uses an *ASYNC line description; here are some of the
    > > basic parameter settings for the *LIND:

    > > RSRCNAME CMN12
    > > ONLINE *NO
    > > INTERFACE *RS232V24
    > > CNN *SWTPP
    > > VRYWAIT *NOWAIT
    > > AUTOCALL *NO
    > > MODEM *NORMAL
    > > MODEMRATE *FULL
    > > SWTCNN *DIAL
    > > AUTOANS *NO
    > > AUTOANSTYP *DTR
    > > AUTODIAL *YES
    > > DIALCMD *OTHER
    > > SETMDMASC *NONE
    > > CALLNBR *NONE
    > > THRESHOLD *OFF
    > > BITSCHAR 8
    > > PARITY *NONE
    > > STOPBITS 1
    > > DUPLEX *FULL
    > > ECHO *NONE
    > > LINESPEED 19200
    > > MAXBUFFER 256
    > > FLOWCNTL *YES
    > > XONCHAR 11
    > > XOFFCHAR 13
    > > INACTTMR *NOMAX
    > > IDLTMR 30
    > > DSRDRPTMR 6
    > > CTSTMR 25
    > > RMTANSTMR 60
    > > CMNRCYLMT
    > > Count limit 2
    > > Time interval 5

    > The first thing I would check is the dip switches on the modem. Match the
    > new modem to the ones on the old modem. If they are the same brand then
    > they should be the same.

    Same brand - US Robotics - and same basic model - Courier, but
    seemingly different generations. DIP switches match.

    > If you create the same exact line controller &
    > device discriptions on the HA system it should then work.

    Before sending it back to the HA, I'm trying to test it on the
    production system. That's where it's failing. Same LIND, same CTLD.
    It leads me to suspect the new modems need to be initialized with
    something, but I'm not sure what.

    > However, you may
    > be effected by the line speeds if you are using a different hardware
    > controller.
    >
    > If you can't get things to work I would contact IBM support.

    Probably so.

    Thanks for your response.

  4. Re: Modem help

    On Jul 15, 1:44*am, Jonathan Ball wrote:
> [...]

    > > new modem to the ones on the old modem. If they are the same brand then
    > > they should be the same.

    > Same brand - US Robotics - and same basic model - Courier, but
    > seemingly different generations. *DIP switches match.
    >
    > > If you create the same exact line controller &
    > > device discriptions on the HA system it should then work.

    > Before sending it back to the HA, I'm trying to test it on the
    > production system. *That's where it's failing. *Same LIND, same CTLD.
    > It leads me to suspect the new modems need to be initialized with
    > something, but I'm not sure what.
    >
    > > However, you may
    > > be effected by the line speeds if you are using a different hardware
    > > controller.

    > > If you can't get things to work I would contact IBM support.

    > Probably so.
    >
    > Thanks for your response.- Hide quoted text -

    We also use dialup for EDI. I know one modem had to have a button
    pressed whilst it was turned on to start it in either sync or async
    mode, cant remember which. Also if you were 'just' to plug into a pc
    seral port the windows modem control panel would be able to give you
    the AT diagnostics so you could compare them. you could also STRSST &
    do comms line traces to make sure your app is sending the same data.

    Jonathan

  5. Re: Modem help

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:44:11 -0700, Jonathan Ball wrote:

> [...]

    >> > Time interval 5

    >> The first thing I would check is the dip switches on the modem. Match
    >> the new modem to the ones on the old modem. If they are the same brand
    >> then they should be the same.

    > Same brand - US Robotics - and same basic model - Courier, but seemingly
    > different generations. DIP switches match.
    >

    >> If you create the same exact line controller & device discriptions on
    >> the HA system it should then work.

    > Before sending it back to the HA, I'm trying to test it on the
    > production system. That's where it's failing. Same LIND, same CTLD. It
    > leads me to suspect the new modems need to be initialized with
    > something, but I'm not sure what.
    >

    >> However, you may
    >> be effected by the line speeds if you are using a different hardware
    >> controller.
    >>
    >> If you can't get things to work I would contact IBM support.

    You can get the init strings for currier modems by walking though the
    menus. The information center would probably have them, but I normally
    just get them right from the system itself.

    Jason

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread