Your Views on Green IT? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Your Views on Green IT? - IBM AS400 ; What are your views the rise of green IT? Is it all hype? Or do you believe the major vendors are making significant progress towards offering genuinely environmentally responsible products and services? If you are/were in a position to influence ...

  1. Your Views on Green IT?

    What are your views the rise of green IT? Is it all hype? Or do you
    believe the major vendors are making significant progress towards
    offering genuinely environmentally responsible products and services?

    If you are/were in a position to influence the purchase choices of
    the
    company you work for - would you consider the green attributes of the
    product/service as important?

    Does your company have its own green procurement policies or minimum
    standards?

    Do you believe any of the major IT vendors are leading the way when
    it
    comes to green IT, or do you hear more from certain vendors on the
    subject than others?

    I am very interested to hear your views - I am conducting research as
    part of an MBA dissertation into this subject and I keen to get the
    honest views of people working in the field!

    Appreciate any thoughts you may be able to share!

  2. Re: Your Views on Green IT?

    On Jul 12, 11:46*am, Grasshopper wrote:
    > What are your views the rise of green IT? Is it all hype? Or do you
    > believe the major vendors are making significant progress towards
    > offering genuinely environmentally responsible products and services?
    >
    > If you are/were in a position to influence the purchase choices of
    > the
    > company you work for - would you consider the green attributes of the
    > product/service as important?
    >
    > Does your company have its own green procurement policies or minimum
    > standards?
    >
    > Do you believe any of the major IT vendors are leading the way when
    > it
    > comes to green IT, or do you hear more from certain vendors on the
    > subject than others?
    >
    > I am very interested to hear your views - I am conducting research as
    > part of an MBA dissertation into this subject and I keen to get the
    > honest views of people working in the field!
    >
    > Appreciate any thoughts you may be able to share!

    There is no doubt that the transition from tube monitors to LCD
    will save a ton of cash. My company change nearly every monitor
    in the building because they will pay for themselves within 2 years
    and then be in the plus column electricity-wise after that. I do find
    the automatic power down features very annoying though. I can
    see if you are away for more than 30 minutes, then fine.

  3. Re: Your Views on Green IT?

    On Jul 12, 11:46*am, Grasshopper wrote:
    > What are your views the rise of green IT? Is it all hype? Or do you
    > believe the major vendors are making significant progress towards
    > offering genuinely environmentally responsible products and services?

    what are the numbers on annual usage of electricity use by PC
    servers? My guess it is dropping due to the advances of
    virtualization software the last few years.

    And a lot of the work that a PC server does replaces non electronic,
    higher energy using processes. It takes less energy to deliver an
    email message than sending a letter thru the postal system. Reading
    news reports online is greener than printing and delivering a
    newspaper or magazine. Online banking uses less energy than driving to
    the bank. Automating call center activity saves on the energy used by
    call center workers who have to drive to work and answer the calls.

  4. Re: Your Views on Green IT?

    "Grasshopper" wrote in message
    > What are your views the rise of green IT? Is it all hype? Or do you
    > believe the major vendors are making significant progress towards
    > offering genuinely environmentally responsible products and services?

    I thought we were all supposed to be moving away from green [screens] - not
    going back to them :-)

+ Reply to Thread