Your views on Green IT? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Your views on Green IT? - IBM AS400 ; What are your views the rise of green IT? Is it all hype? Or do you believe the major vendors are making significant progress towards offering genuinely environmentally responsible products and services? If you are/were in a position to influence ...

  1. Your views on Green IT?

    What are your views the rise of green IT? Is it all hype? Or do you
    believe the major vendors are making significant progress towards
    offering genuinely environmentally responsible products and services?

    If you are/were in a position to influence the purchase choices of
    the
    company you work for - would you consider the green attributes of the
    product/service as important?

    Does your company have its own green procurement policies or minimum
    standards?

    Do you believe any of the major IT vendors are leading the way when
    it
    comes to green IT, or do you hear more from certain vendors on the
    subject than others?

    I am very interested to hear your views - I am conducting research as
    part of an MBA dissertation into this subject and I keen to get the
    honest views of people working in the field!

    Appreciate any thoughts you may be able to share!

  2. Re: Your views on Green IT?

    I think there is alot of green hype, but in all honesty it boils down
    to cost. The american public MAY say they want green, but these are
    the same folks that will sit in line for 2 hours with their engine
    running to save 5 cents a gallon on gas. These are the same folks that
    had their job displaced with things made overseas by the virtue of
    where they buy (they want to buy the cheapest priced item).

    And anybody can say something is "green". Take recycled paper, the
    additional processes to make it, the chemicals, the amount of energy
    is far greater than the scrub trees they plant to make paper out of.

    I think some do look for power savings, a/c savings, etc. when
    purchasing new, but if you have a 1/2 million dollar midrange or
    mainframe, I seriously doubt that the company is going to scrap it for
    a new one to save a few bucks.

    I also think that most consider if a product works first and green is
    way down on the list, if it is considered at all.

    that is my take.

    On Jul 12, 11:46*am, Grasshopper wrote:
    > What are your views the rise of green IT? Is it all hype? Or do you
    > believe the major vendors are making significant progress towards
    > offering genuinely environmentally responsible products and services?
    >
    > If you are/were in a position to influence the purchase choices of
    > the
    > company you work for - would you consider the green attributes of the
    > product/service as important?
    >
    > Does your company have its own green procurement policies or minimum
    > standards?
    >
    > Do you believe any of the major IT vendors are leading the way when
    > it
    > comes to green IT, or do you hear more from certain vendors on the
    > subject than others?
    >
    > I am very interested to hear your views - I am conducting research as
    > part of an MBA dissertation into this subject and I keen to get the
    > honest views of people working in the field!
    >
    > Appreciate any thoughts you may be able to share!

+ Reply to Thread