Replacing STREML3270 with TELNET - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Replacing STREML3270 with TELNET - IBM AS400 ; We have users who connect to a transportation company over a T1 leased line, using STREML3270. The leased line is being phased out and replaced with a VPN. I gather that we'll have to use telnet to connect. The existing ...

  1. Replacing STREML3270 with TELNET

    We have users who connect to a transportation company over a T1 leased
    line, using STREML3270. The leased line is being phased out and
    replaced with a VPN. I gather that we'll have to use telnet to
    connect.

    The existing STREML3270 usage specifies no parameters, e.g. keyboard
    type or incoming/outgoing translation table. I notice several
    identical parameters on TELNET.

    Are there any major "gotchas" to watch for on this, or is the switch
    likely to be pretty close to transparent?

  2. Re: Replacing STREML3270 with TELNET

    I have a client who has several remote users who are vpn'ed into the
    local lan, and they use the same es/tcp (tn5250e) program that the
    local users use to access the as/400/iseries/system i/i.

    No configuration was necessary etc since virtual device autoconfig was
    on.

    chris

    On Jul 11, 6:12*pm, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > We have users who connect to a transportation company over a T1 leased
    > line, using STREML3270. *The leased line is being phased out and
    > replaced with a VPN. *I gather that we'll have to use telnet to
    > connect.
    >
    > The existing STREML3270 usage specifies no parameters, e.g. keyboard
    > type or incoming/outgoing translation table. *I notice several
    > identical parameters on TELNET.
    >
    > Are there any major "gotchas" to watch for on this, or is the switch
    > likely to be pretty close to transparent?

  3. Re: Replacing STREML3270 with TELNET

    On Jul 11, 7:46*pm, trans am kid wrote:
    > I have a client who has several remote users who are vpn'ed into the
    > local lan, and they use the same es/tcp (tn5250e) program that the
    > local users use to access the as/400/iseries/system i/i.
    >
    > No configuration was necessary etc since virtual device autoconfig was
    > on.
    >
    > chris
    >
    > On Jul 11, 6:12*pm, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    >

    > > We have users who connect to a transportation company over a T1 leased
    > > line, using STREML3270. *The leased line is being phased out and
    > > replaced with a VPN. *I gather that we'll have to use telnet to
    > > connect.

    > > The existing STREML3270 usage specifies no parameters, e.g. keyboard
    > > type or incoming/outgoing translation table. *I notice several
    > > identical parameters on TELNET.

    > > Are there any major "gotchas" to watch for on this, or is the switch
    > > likely to be pretty close to transparent?- Hide quoted text -

    I don't think you will see any issues, are you doing printing via this
    connection.

+ Reply to Thread