Save Options - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Save Options - IBM AS400 ; My save runs 3 hours every night at midnight. It's not a full system save but that of the Retail Merchandising system that runs on the box. It saves directly onto tape. All is well just now because the business ...

  1. Save Options

    My save runs 3 hours every night at midnight. It's not a full system
    save but that of the Retail Merchandising system that runs on the box.
    It saves directly onto tape.
    All is well just now because the business is closed overnight, but
    that is about to change. Our Warehouse plans to run 24 hours thus
    giving me the problem of saving their libraried whilst they are using
    the system.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a specific type of save i
    can do while they are in?

    Any info greatly appreciated!

  2. Re: Save Options

    Read up on the SAVACT and SAVACTWAIT parameters of SAVLIB and SAVOBJ.

  3. Re: Save Options

    On Jul 10, 6:38*am, Pol wrote:
    > My save runs 3 hours every night at midnight. It's not a full system
    > save but that of the Retail Merchandising system that runs on the box.
    > It saves directly onto tape.
    > All is well just now because the business is closed overnight, but
    > that is about to change. Our Warehouse plans to run 24 hours thus
    > giving me the problem of saving their libraried whilst they are using
    > the system.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a specific type of save i
    > can do while they are in?
    >
    > Any info greatly appreciated!

    Another possible option is to look at Virtual Tape. If you have the
    disk space, it can improve backup time. You will still need to look
    at save-while-active options.

    Some companies when faced with 24/7 ops will goto a mirror system
    (such as iTera). This provides a real-time backup system, but you can
    also set it up to do all backups from the 2nd system. If thats too
    expensive, you can consider having multiple LPAR's. Mirror LPAR1 to
    LPAR2. It not as "safe" as a seperate system, but it does some
    advantages.

+ Reply to Thread