How to connect to an unknown system - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on How to connect to an unknown system - IBM AS400 ; I bought a model 800 at ebay. I connect a twinax console but when i IPL (01 B N F) i get A6005008 an the orange !. What can i do? Regards, Martin....

  1. How to connect to an unknown system

    I bought a model 800 at ebay. I connect a twinax console but when
    i IPL (01 B N F) i get A6005008 an the orange !. What can i do?

    Regards, Martin.

  2. Re: How to connect to an unknown system

    On Jul 10, 5:47*am, Martin Hinze wrote:
    > I bought a model 800 at ebay. I connect a twinax console but when
    > i IPL (01 B N F) i get A6005008 an the orange !. What can i do?
    >
    > Regards, Martin.

    Read this
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...lesrccoded.htm

  3. Re: How to connect to an unknown system

    Thank you. But what means word 16? How do i read word 16?
    Regards, Martin.

    Graybeard schrieb:
    > On Jul 10, 5:47 am, Martin Hinze wrote:
    >> I bought a model 800 at ebay. I connect a twinax console but when
    >> i IPL (01 B N F) i get A6005008 an the orange !. What can i do?
    >>
    >> Regards, Martin.

    > Read this
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...lesrccoded.htm

  4. Re: How to connect to an unknown system

    Martin Hinze wrote:
    > Thank you. But what means word 16? How do i read word 16?

    In the V5R4 InfoCenter from www.ibm.com/systems/i/infocenter the
    following search keywords are helpful to find the following links:
    control panel function word

    The following "Problem summary form for multiple partitions (model
    8xx)" may be a good place to start:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...rzahbform3.htm

    The above is under the /parent topic/ "Problem analysis procedures" at:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...bflowchart.htm

    The first URL gives a link to "Collecting system reference codes":
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...collectsrc.htm

    Possibly also worthwhile to review "Instructions and descriptions for
    control panel functions" at:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...rzatmcpfdc.htm

    See "Normal control panel functions" at:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...tmnormfunc.htm
    "Functions 11 to 19 - System Reference Code (SRC)
    Functions 11 though 19, if enabled, represent the words of the SRC."

    For a more general and visual description, the following "i5/OS
    Understanding system reference codes (SRCs) for logical partitions" is
    worthwhile:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...t/rzaitcsp.htm

    The following may be of value for LPAR if there are any; for "i5/OS:
    Logical partition error messages...":
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...otoverview.htm

    The above is under /parent topic/ "Troubleshooting logical partitions":
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...otoverview.htm

    Regards, Chuck

  5. Re: How to connect to an unknown system

    "CRPence" wrote in message
    > Martin Hinze wrote:
    >> Thank you. But what means word 16? How do i read word 16?

    > In the V5R4 InfoCenter from www.ibm.com/systems/i/infocenter the
    > following search keywords are helpful to find the following links:
    > control panel function word

    I must admit - sympathise with the OP. What is "word 16" etc.?

    None the wiser myself after having followed several links through the IBM
    website. But then it's been a few years since I was last involved in system
    operations work.

    A simple answer on how to find and read these "words" is what the guy needs
    though ...

  6. Re: How to connect to an unknown system

    When the A6005008 is recieved on the control panel, arrow up to a
    function 12 and hit enter. This will display 32 characters, each
    group of 8 being a word. So function 12 will give you words 12-15
    respectively. Then arrow to a function 13 and hit enter, this will
    give you another 32 characters, which are words 16-19. Words 13-15
    are useful when debugging LAN console problems, and words 17-19 are
    useful when debugging direct operations console problems. You can
    ignore all of those words when working with twinax. Word 16 is
    generally 500x000y where 000y is the configured console type for that
    system/partition.

    The console types are:
    0 = not specified
    1 = twinax
    2 = direct (serial) operations console
    3 = LAN operations console
    4 = HMC

    If the console type is wrong and the system is at V5R3 or later, you
    can change the console type from the control panel with the 65+21
    functions.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ctions6521.htm

    Note that 65+21 functions don't exist prior to V5R3.

+ Reply to Thread