Visual RPG - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Visual RPG - IBM AS400 ; Hi, I'm new to IBM mainframes due to taking over the job of a dying coworker, and I've started learning RPG, CL, etc. using all the old methods, but was wondering what the scoop is on Visual programming(I'm used to ...

  1. Visual RPG

    Hi, I'm new to IBM mainframes due to taking over the job of a dying
    coworker, and I've started learning RPG, CL, etc. using all the old
    methods, but was wondering what the scoop is on Visual programming(I'm
    used to VB). Are there any free programs? If not, how much does IBM
    charge for visual RPG?

    thanks

  2. Re: Visual RPG

    On Jul 7, 11:36*am, Malak wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to IBM mainframes due to taking over the job of a dying
    > coworker, and I've started learning RPG, CL, etc. using all the old
    > methods, but was wondering what the scoop is on Visual programming(I'm
    > used to VB). Are there any free programs? If not, how much does IBM
    > charge for visual RPG?
    >
    > thanks

    I will guess you are running on an iSeries or System i server. This
    is not a mainframe, but actually a "midrange".
    To answer your question, if you are at V5R4 or below, I believe you
    can get Visual RPG and no extra charge - its included with the
    compilers. But more importantly, Visual RPG is on its way out. Never
    was adopted widely. Its also nothing like the "Visual" stuff you are
    used to. It was intended to allow RPG to do "web" stuff, event-driven
    processing. Today, this is done other ways.

    If you are new to RPG, you should install the Websphere Dev Studio
    Client (WDSCi) V7 - at least the RSE editor. This editor does on-the-
    fly syntax checking, cursor-sensitive F1 link to the RPG manual, and
    IDE-like prompting on commands. Don't be fooled by the name - it
    doesn't require Webshere Appl Server (unless you want to use it for
    Web programming). At V5R4 and below, its included with the compilers
    for no extra charge (but is installed on the PC).

  3. Re: Visual RPG

    On Jul 7, 4:36*pm, Malak wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to IBM mainframes due to taking over the job of a dying
    > coworker, and I've started learning RPG, CL, etc. using all the old
    > methods, but was wondering what the scoop is on Visual programming(I'm
    > used to VB). Are there any free programs? If not, how much does IBM
    > charge for visual RPG?
    >
    > thanks

    Well, AS/400 systems (nowadays "IBM i") are not Mainframes, which is z/
    OS rather than i/OS.

    These days for visual apps with nice GUIs, I think unless you've got a
    really good reason, you should be making web apps rather than Windows
    ones. The options for doing this are many, and which you pick depends
    on what you're comfortable with. You can definitely use RPG, but you
    can use Java, C, C++, Python, even PHP if you want.

    How much IBM charges for anything is like any "big tin" vendor,
    completely negotiable, and will depend on the tier of your machine
    (i.e. how powerful and big it is), and number of users etc. If you've
    got a contact at IBM or a reseller, I'd talk to them.

    Garry

  4. Re: Visual RPG

    I looked at code/400 and Websphere a number of years ago and found it
    to be a bit of a monster.
    The AS400 is brilliant at what it does but when its comes to windows/
    web development the tools are a bit clunky.

    If you come from a VB background you will have heard of .NET, and yes
    there is a version of RPG for .NET check out www.asna.com

    I have been programming green screen for over 20 years and I have to
    admit getting to grips with .NET took a bit of time, but the doors its
    opens have to be seen.

    And costs of AVR from ASNA compared to Websphere are pee nuts…

    Ivan

  5. Re: Visual RPG

    On Jul 10, 6:14*am, Ivan wrote:
    > *I looked at code/400 and Websphere a number of years ago and found it
    > to be a bit of a monster.
    > *The AS400 is brilliant at what it does but when its comes to windows/
    > web development the tools are a bit clunky.
    >
    > If you come from a VB background you will have heard of .NET, and yes
    > there is a version of RPG for .NET check out *www.asna.com
    >
    > I have been programming green screen for over 20 years and I have to
    > admit getting to grips with .NET took a bit of time, but the doors its
    > opens have to be seen.
    >
    > And costs of AVR from ASNA compared to Websphere are pee nuts…
    >
    > Ivan

    Ivan,
    You may want to look again. The tools have improved significantly.
    Despite the name of Websphere, it really is not anything to do with
    WebSphere Application Server. The tools are included with the
    compilers ar no extra charge.

  6. Re: Visual RPG

    Thanks guys. I will take all under advisement. Once my
    coworker and friend passes, I may have some paniced
    posts when things break and I'm clueless. I'm trying to
    pump all the knowledge out of him I can meanwhile. Of
    course we will can in a consultant or IBM for major
    meltdowns.

    Yes, we do have V5R3 with no web presence... that is
    done offsite.

+ Reply to Thread