How can i read data from another partition (Lpar) ? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on How can i read data from another partition (Lpar) ? - IBM AS400 ; hello, we're using i5/os on machine 570 v5r4 with five lpars: four are used by Sap and one by regular rpgle software. how can i read Sap files (on the Sap lpars) from the non Sap lpar ? TIA Benny...

  1. How can i read data from another partition (Lpar) ?

    hello,

    we're using i5/os on machine 570 v5r4 with five lpars: four are used
    by Sap and one by regular rpgle software.

    how can i read Sap files (on the Sap lpars) from the non Sap lpar ?

    TIA

    Benny

  2. Re: How can i read data from another partition (Lpar) ?

    On 4 Jul., 10:51, benny wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > we're using i5/os on machine 570 v5r4 with five lpars: four are used
    > by Sap and one by regular rpgle software.
    >
    > how can i read Sap files (on the Sap lpars) from the non Sap lpar *?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Benny

    Define SNA connections between the partitions, and then create DDM-
    files ..

    Regards
    Niels

  3. Re: How can i read data from another partition (Lpar) ?

    benny wrote:

    > We're using i5/os on machine 570 v5r4 with five lpars: four are used
    > by Sap and one by regular rpgle software.
    >
    > How can I read Sap files (on the Sap lpars) from the non SAP LPAR?

    SQL over a DRDA connection; using the SQL CONNECT TO
    statement. WRKRDBDIRE to view the connections, and possibly to
    ADDRDBDIRE to Add Relational Database Directory Entry if one is not there.

    Regards, Chuck

  4. Re: How can i read data from another partition (Lpar) ?

    nsm wrote:
    > On 4 Jul., 10:51, benny wrote:
    >> hello,
    >>
    >> we're using i5/os on machine 570 v5r4 with five lpars: four are used
    >> by Sap and one by regular rpgle software.
    >>
    >> how can i read Sap files (on the Sap lpars) from the non Sap lpar ?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Benny

    > Define SNA connections between the partitions, and then create DDM-
    > files ..
    >
    > Regards
    > Niels

    FYI DDM hasn't needed SNA for a long time, they can be defined over TCP/IP

  5. Re: How can i read data from another partition (Lpar) ?

    On 5 Jul., 06:21, Kirk Goins wrote:
    > nsm wrote:
    > > On 4 Jul., 10:51, benny wrote:
    > >> hello,

    > >> we're using i5/os on machine 570 v5r4 with five lpars: four are used
    > >> by Sap and one by regular rpgle software.

    > >> how can i read Sap files (on the Sap lpars) from the non Sap lpar *?

    > >> TIA

    > >> Benny

    > > Define SNA connections between the partitions, and then create DDM-
    > > files ..

    > > Regards
    > > Niels

    > FYI DDM hasn't needed SNA for a long time, they can be defined over TCP/IP- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
    >
    > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

    Haven't used it for a couple of years

    Last time I used SNA over TCP/IP ..

    Niels

  6. Re: How can i read data from another partition (Lpar) ?

    "CRPence" wrote in message
    > benny wrote:
    >>
    >> We're using i5/os on machine 570 v5r4 with five lpars: four are used
    >> by Sap and one by regular rpgle software.
    >>
    >> How can I read Sap files (on the Sap lpars) from the non SAP LPAR?

    > SQL over a DRDA connection; using the SQL CONNECT TO statement.
    > WRKRDBDIRE to view the connections, and possibly to ADDRDBDIRE to Add
    > Relational Database Directory Entry if one is not there.
    >
    > Regards, Chuck

    Since this affects SAP data, you need to be a bit careful, especially if the
    SAP system is based on a non-Latin-1 ASCII database. To access SAP data from
    non-SAP programs, you should use RFC, i.e. service program LIBRFC, which is
    provided by SAP. See SAP Note 695125 for some hints about code page
    conversion between ASCII / Unicode SAP data and a native program, e.g.
    written in RPGLE. The note contains attachments with sample RPG programs and
    a documentation. The sample program can access data remotely, so you can use
    it in your LPAR environment.

    Kind regards, Christian Bartels.

  7. Re: How can i read data from another partition (Lpar) ?

    On Jul 7, 5:59*pm, "Christian Bartels" wrote:
    > "CRPence" wrote in message

    > > benny wrote:

    > >> We're using i5/os on machine 570 v5r4 with five lpars: four are used
    > >> by Sap and one by regular rpgle software.

    > >> How can I read Sap files (on the Sap lpars) from the non SAP LPAR?

    > > * SQL over a DRDA connection; using the SQL CONNECT TO statement.
    > > WRKRDBDIRE to view the connections, and possibly to ADDRDBDIRE to Add
    > > Relational Database Directory Entry if one is not there.

    > > Regards, Chuck

    > Since this affects SAP data, you need to be a bit careful, especially if the
    > SAP system is based on a non-Latin-1 ASCII database. To access SAP data from
    > non-SAP programs, you should use RFC, i.e. service program LIBRFC, which is
    > provided by SAP. See SAP Note 695125 for some hints about code page
    > conversion between ASCII / Unicode SAP data and a native program, e.g.
    > written in RPGLE. The note contains attachments with sample RPG programs and
    > a documentation. The sample program can access data remotely, so you can use
    > it in your LPAR environment.
    >
    > Kind regards, Christian Bartels.

    Thank you all very much !

  8. Re: How can i read data from another partition (Lpar) ?

    On Jul 7, 4:59*pm, "Christian Bartels" wrote:
    > "CRPence" wrote in message

    > > benny wrote:

    > >> We're using i5/os on machine 570 v5r4 with five lpars: four are used
    > >> by Sap and one by regular rpgle software.

    > >> How can I read Sap files (on the Sap lpars) from the non SAP LPAR?

    > > * SQL over a DRDA connection; using the SQL CONNECT TO statement.
    > > WRKRDBDIRE to view the connections, and possibly to ADDRDBDIRE to Add
    > > Relational Database Directory Entry if one is not there.

    > > Regards, Chuck

    > Since this affects SAP data, you need to be a bit careful, especially if the
    > SAP system is based on a non-Latin-1 ASCII database. To access SAP data from
    > non-SAP programs, you should use RFC, i.e. service program LIBRFC, which is
    > provided by SAP. See SAP Note 695125 for some hints about code page
    > conversion between ASCII / Unicode SAP data and a native program, e.g.
    > written in RPGLE. The note contains attachments with sample RPG programs and
    > a documentation. The sample program can access data remotely, so you can use
    > it in your LPAR environment.
    >
    > Kind regards, Christian Bartels.

    Thank you all very much

    Benny