how to monitor specific jobq - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on how to monitor specific jobq - IBM AS400 ; Hi. On my i5 (V5R4) exists jobq 'vabc'. Once a month users runs specific program which goes into that jobq and then goes to qbatch subsystem. Problem is that that jobs executes for a long time and sometimes users runs ...

  1. how to monitor specific jobq

    Hi.

    On my i5 (V5R4) exists jobq 'vabc'.
    Once a month users runs specific program which goes into that jobq and
    then goes to qbatch subsystem. Problem is that that jobs executes for a
    long time and sometimes users runs them few times. Because of that
    situation my vabc jobq holds for example 200jobs which executes for many
    many hours.

    Is is possible to monitor that jobq so when for example 50 jobs enters
    jobq an email is sent so I can react somehow ?

    Regards,
    Tomasz

  2. Re: how to monitor specific jobq

    tomasz wrote:

    > On my i5 (V5R4) exists jobq 'vabc'.
    > Once a month users runs specific program which goes into that jobq and
    > then goes to qbatch subsystem. Problem is that that jobs executes for a
    > long time and sometimes users runs them few times. Because of that
    > situation my vabc jobq holds for example 200jobs which executes for many
    > many hours.
    >
    > Is is possible to monitor that jobq so when for example 50 jobs enters
    > jobq an email is sent so I can react somehow ?

    This Job Notification Exit Point can place an entry on a data queue when
    a job goes on a job queue. The data queue entry isn't an email, but
    perhaps you could create a monitor job that keeps tabs on the data queue
    entries for the job queue of interest, and sends a notification (eg
    email) under certain conditions.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...s/xjobntfy.htm
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../apis/obj2.htm
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...apiexusque.htm

    --
    Karl Hanson

  3. Re: how to monitor specific jobq

    "tomasz" wrote in message
    | Hi.
    |
    | On my i5 (V5R4) exists jobq 'vabc'.
    | Once a month users runs specific program which goes into that jobq
    and
    | then goes to qbatch subsystem. Problem is that that jobs executes
    for a
    | long time and sometimes users runs them few times. Because of that
    | situation my vabc jobq holds for example 200jobs which executes for
    many
    | many hours.
    |
    | Is is possible to monitor that jobq so when for example 50 jobs
    enters
    | jobq an email is sent so I can react somehow ?
    |
    | Regards,
    | Tomasz

    Tomaz,

    Your note implies that the multiple submissions are a result of
    impatient users and that they are mistakenly re-submitting the job not
    realizing that their earlier submission is currently in the queue or
    still running. If this is true, there may be a better solution than
    your manual intervention.

    I assume the users are taking an option from a menu to submit the job
    rather than using the SBMJOB command directly. If so you could write
    a CL program to check if the long running program is either already on
    the job queue or is currently running. If it is, rather than accept a
    duplicate run request the menu program could inform the user of the
    situation and skip the request.

    Mike Sicilian

+ Reply to Thread