Rational/Webserve - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Rational/Webserve - IBM AS400 ; What do people think of Rational/Webserve? I was on a 4 day CL course recently at IBM in London and they are now teaching CL in this format. It works easily but as a die hard green screen user I'm ...

  1. Rational/Webserve

    What do people think of Rational/Webserve?
    I was on a 4 day CL course recently at IBM in London and they are now
    teaching CL in this format. It works easily but as a die hard green
    screen user I'm debating wether to embrace Rational as my programming
    tool or start with Rational.

  2. Re: Rational/Webserve

    On Jun 30, 10:24*am, Pol wrote:
    > What do people think of Rational/Webserve?
    > I was on a 4 day CL course recently at IBM in London and they are now
    > teaching CL in this format. It works easily but as a die hard green
    > screen user I'm debating wether to embrace Rational as my programming
    > tool or start with Rational.

    I have been using the RSE editor and workspace (based on RDi) for 6
    years now (although the Rational part is newer). I would never
    consider going back to SDA, SEU, etc. Once you get it tuned and
    setup, it works well. Make sure to get version 7 at least. The IDE
    prompts and "outline" option in RPG alone are worth it.

  3. Re: Rational/Webserve

    I would have to agree with Greybeard.

    I do use the old tools once in a while.
    I never figured out how to set all the dates in the source member to zeros.
    I only do this on new source members, so I don't need it very often.

    One hint when installing WDSC version 7.
    If you don't need the web stuff don't install it.
    It will load a lot faster without it.

    Pol wrote:
    > What do people think of Rational/Webserve?
    > I was on a 4 day CL course recently at IBM in London and they are now
    > teaching CL in this format. It works easily but as a die hard green
    > screen user I'm debating wether to embrace Rational as my programming
    > tool or start with Rational.

  4. Re: Rational/Webserve

    Bill in Madtown, WI wrote:
    > <>
    > I do use the old tools once in a while. I never figured out how to
    > set all the dates in the source member to zeros. I only do this on
    > new source members, so I don't need it very often.
    > <>

    The request to reorganize a physical file member provides an option
    specific to /source/ files that will reset the /date/ information. The
    following invocation will reset the source dates to zero for the named
    member:

    RGZPFM TheLib/TheSrcFile MBR(TheMbr) SRCOPT(*DATE)

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../cl/rgzpfm.htm

    Regards, Chuck

  5. Re: Rational/Webserve

    On Jul 6, 7:20*pm, CRPence wrote:
    > Bill in Madtown, WI wrote:
    >
    > > <>
    > > I do use the old tools once in a while. I never figured out how to
    > > set all the dates in the source member to zeros. I only do this on
    > > new source members, so I don't need it very often.
    > > *<>

    > * *The request to reorganize a physical file member provides an option
    > specific to /source/ files that will reset the /date/ information. *The
    > following invocation will reset the source dates to zero for the named
    > member:
    >
    > * *RGZPFM TheLib/TheSrcFile MBR(TheMbr) SRCOPT(*DATE)
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...opic/cl/rgzpfm...
    >
    > Regards, Chuck

    Thanks for the feedback guys. Greybeard - I do have version 7.
    According to my IBM tutor, Rational will no longer be free! Get it
    while you can.

+ Reply to Thread