Truncated joblogs with no apparent reason - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Truncated joblogs with no apparent reason - IBM AS400 ; Jobs whose logs are processed with the QMHCTLJL API are occasionally truncated. I have worked through the associated joblogs and system log without success in finding the problem. At lease part of the time, the problem occurs when the QBATCH ...

  1. Truncated joblogs with no apparent reason

    Jobs whose logs are processed with the QMHCTLJL API are occasionally
    truncated. I have worked through the associated joblogs and system
    log without success in finding the problem. At lease part of the
    time, the problem occurs when the QBATCH subsystem is being shut down
    and is closely associated with the QINTER subsystem shutdown. I
    cannot find in the documentation or identify in the system environment
    any association between the QMHCTLJL API and/or the spool and either
    QBATCH or QINTER. In addition to the two system subsystems, a number
    of proprietary subsystems are also shutdown and the associated
    libraries saved; however, none of these, proprietary or system
    subsystems or libraries, are associated with the subsystem in which
    the job calling the QMHCTLJL API is running.

    Can anyone point me to documentation regarding resources used by the
    QMHCTLJL API, with joblog processing in general or explain how to
    establish an association using my system. I have throughly searched
    IBM via multiple interfaces and the web including a number if IBM
    related groups.

    Mike

  2. Re: Truncated joblogs with no apparent reason

    yl_mra@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Jobs whose logs are processed with the QMHCTLJL API are occasionally
    > truncated. I have worked through the associated joblogs and system
    > log without success in finding the problem. At lease part of the
    > time, the problem occurs when the QBATCH subsystem is being shut down
    > and is closely associated with the QINTER subsystem shutdown. I
    > cannot find in the documentation or identify in the system environment
    > any association between the QMHCTLJL API and/or the spool and either
    > QBATCH or QINTER. In addition to the two system subsystems, a number
    > of proprietary subsystems are also shutdown and the associated
    > libraries saved; however, none of these, proprietary or system
    > subsystems or libraries, are associated with the subsystem in which
    > the job calling the QMHCTLJL API is running.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to documentation regarding resources used by the
    > QMHCTLJL API, with joblog processing in general or explain how to
    > establish an association using my system. I have throughly searched
    > IBM via multiple interfaces and the web including a number if IBM
    > related groups.

    Inferring the most likely use of /truncated/, it is very possible
    that the QMHJLOG processing [for an invocation of QMHCTLJL which
    requested the output go to database file(s)] is failing to effect a
    normal CLOSE on the output file. In that case any rows in the program
    buffer would be /lost/ when the job ends; the QMHJLOG runs in the
    beginning of the job termination. In that case there would be a defect
    that should be reported to your service provider. If not so obviously
    that...

    It would probably be worthwhile to clarify both "processed with the
    QMHCTLJL API" and "truncated". For the former, the API was used to
    direct to where, and with what filtering? For the latter, is a spool
    file or database file output being truncated, and what is included and
    excluded in the output, from which /truncated/ describes the result?

    Additionally
    - a release level may be relevant for any fixes
    - how does /associated libraries saved/ relate; i.e. the API does
    not save any libraries, so if some process is being followed as part of
    ending subsystems, in order to perform saves... what is that?
    - there are alternate invocations of ENDSBS, according to the
    parameters specified; e.g. an option enables *NOJOBLOG special value

    The primary resources for the API are the QPJOBLOG *FILE and each of
    the named database Library/File.Member objects.

    Regards, Chuck

+ Reply to Thread