Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems - IBM AS400 ; Hey, I am looking for a good starter book to understand and use SQL on the system. Any recommendations? I do plan to use SQL natively as well embedded into CL and RPG programs. I know it is a great ...

  1. Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems

    Hey, I am looking for a good starter book to understand and use SQL on the
    system. Any recommendations?

    I do plan to use SQL natively as well embedded into CL and RPG programs. I
    know it is a great tool..and I do look forward to understanding it and
    utilized it.

    Thanks for your help.

    Gil

  2. Re: Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems

    I've found the manuals accessible through the InfoCeter to be good
    enough for a start.

  3. Re: Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems

    Thanks Walker...I will look through them.

    Gil

    "walker.l2" wrote in message
    > I've found the manuals accessible through the InfoCeter to be good
    > enough for a start.

  4. Re: Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems (0/5)

    For hardback get the SQL/400 Developer's Guide by Paul Conte and Mike
    Cravitz.

    See attached pdfs.

    Denny

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:34:11 -0400, "Gil" wrote:

    >Hey, I am looking for a good starter book to understand and use SQL on the
    >system. Any recommendations?
    >
    >I do plan to use SQL natively as well embedded into CL and RPG programs. I
    >know it is a great tool..and I do look forward to understanding it and
    >utilized it.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.
    >
    >Gil

  5. Re: Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems (0/5)

    When I first started with this I tried using the IBM manuals and it
    was slow going.

    There are many basic SQL tutorials online if basic SQL is a problem.

    If not, simply google SQL RPG and there are many fine sites with great
    examples to illustrate how to use SQL in the RPG or RPGLE environment
    that will provide a great way to get started.

    When writing and testing SQL on I-series the most important thing is
    to understand how to use Debug and to check your JobLogs too. There
    are many important facts that will appear there and nowhere else.
    Then Google the SQL errors you may find for great answers to all the
    mystifying problems that crop up as you first start to use this.

    Also, there are many hints that can be obtained by using Ops Navigator
    both to test SQL code and to get recommendations for indexes that may
    be needed to solve performance issues that can appear, although in
    general I have found SQL to be faster and more efficient than native
    RPG commands like CHAIN and READ.

    Finally, if you haven't switched over to RPG /free, make sure you give
    that a look too.

  6. Re: Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems (0/5)

    > Finally, if you haven't switched over to RPG /free, make sure you give
    > that a look too.

    I haven't embraced /free fully yet (too many years of fixed), but
    for embedded SQL I always use /free. Its MUCH better than the old C+
    lines needed in fixed.

  7. Re: Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems (0/5)

    Graybeard wrote:
    >> Finally, if you haven't switched over to RPG /free, make sure you give
    >> that a look too.

    > I haven't embraced /free fully yet (too many years of fixed), but
    > for embedded SQL I always use /free. Its MUCH better than the old C+
    > lines needed in fixed.

    Any got a link to more information about how to use embedded SQL in
    RPGLE (Fixed or Free)?
    I did a few searches a year ago but did not find anything useful.

    --
    /Anders

  8. Re: Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems (0/5)

    Takes a look at these:

    http://www.mcpressonline.com/tips-te...es-part-i.html
    (Firefox 2.0 doesn't seem to render it correctly.)

    http://www.mcpressonline.com/tips-te...s-part-ii.html

    Very basic, but might get you started.

    Sam

    "Anders N" wrote in message
    > Graybeard wrote:
    >>> Finally, if you haven't switched over to RPG /free, make sure you give
    >>> that a look too.

    >> I haven't embraced /free fully yet (too many years of fixed), but
    >> for embedded SQL I always use /free. Its MUCH better than the old C+
    >> lines needed in fixed.

    > Any got a link to more information about how to use embedded SQL in RPGLE
    > (Fixed or Free)?
    > I did a few searches a year ago but did not find anything useful.
    >
    > --
    > /Anders

  9. Re: Good Starter Book on SQL for AS/400 or iSeries systems (0/5)

    Saml wrote:
    > Takes a look at these:
    >
    > http://www.mcpressonline.com/tips-te...es-part-i.html
    > (Firefox 2.0 doesn't seem to render it correctly.)
    >
    > http://www.mcpressonline.com/tips-te...s-part-ii.html
    >
    > Very basic, but might get you started.
    >
    > Sam

    Thanks!