Data Replication between AS400 v5.3 and SQL server 2005 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Data Replication between AS400 v5.3 and SQL server 2005 - IBM AS400 ; Hi All, We need to provide a solution to our client who is currently using AS400 v5.3 in which real time stock/inventory details from AS400 are replicated into another external database (SQL Server) and any change/ update to SQL server ...

  1. Data Replication between AS400 v5.3 and SQL server 2005

    Hi All,

    We need to provide a solution to our client who is currently using
    AS400 v5.3 in which real time stock/inventory details from AS400 are
    replicated into another external database (SQL Server) and any change/
    update to SQL server is synchronized back to AS400 . So we need a bi-
    directional solution, in which changes from both sides are
    synchronized based on event detection.

    Now our client has mentioned that, due to the company policy, we might
    not be authorized to access the AS400 database directly, i.e. they
    don't want any third party application to query the AS400 database
    directly.
    Which technique best suit here. Is Data Mirror the right choice in
    this scenario, or is there any more better way to achieve this.

    Thanks in advance,

    Haroon

  2. Re: Data Replication between AS400 v5.3 and SQL server 2005

    hkhokhar wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > We need to provide a solution to our client who is currently using
    > AS400 v5.3 in which real time stock/inventory details from AS400 are
    > replicated into another external database (SQL Server) and any change/
    > update to SQL server is synchronized back to AS400 . So we need a bi-
    > directional solution, in which changes from both sides are
    > synchronized based on event detection.
    >
    > Now our client has mentioned that, due to the company policy, we might
    > not be authorized to access the AS400 database directly, i.e. they
    > don't want any third party application to query the AS400 database
    > directly.
    > Which technique best suit here. Is Data Mirror the right choice in
    > this scenario, or is there any more better way to achieve this.

    Vision Solutions Replicate1 maybe?
    Well, Replicate1 will be third party application :-)

    --
    Dejan
    Remove wirus from e-mail address

  3. Re: Data Replication between AS400 v5.3 and SQL server 2005

    Why not write a web service that accesses the iSeries data ?

    Why replicate when you can use real-time iSeries data ?

    Regards,
    Richard Schoen
    RJS Software Systems Inc.
    "The AS/400 and iSeries Report and Data Delivery Experts"
    Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
    Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com

    "hkhokhar" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > We need to provide a solution to our client who is currently using
    > AS400 v5.3 in which real time stock/inventory details from AS400 are
    > replicated into another external database (SQL Server) and any change/
    > update to SQL server is synchronized back to AS400 . So we need a bi-
    > directional solution, in which changes from both sides are
    > synchronized based on event detection.
    >
    > Now our client has mentioned that, due to the company policy, we might
    > not be authorized to access the AS400 database directly, i.e. they
    > don't want any third party application to query the AS400 database
    > directly.
    > Which technique best suit here. Is Data Mirror the right choice in
    > this scenario, or is there any more better way to achieve this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Haroon

  4. Re: Data Replication between AS400 v5.3 and SQL server 2005

    On Jun 15, 9:42*am, hkhokhar wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > We need to provide a solution to our client who is currently using
    > AS400 v5.3 *in which real time stock/inventory details from AS400 are
    > replicated into another external database (SQL Server) and any change/
    > update to SQL server is synchronized back to AS400 . So we need a bi-
    > directional solution, in which changes from both sides are
    > synchronized based on event detection.
    >
    > Now our client has mentioned that, due to the company policy, we might
    > not be authorized to access the AS400 database directly, i.e. they
    > don't want any third party application to query the AS400 database
    > directly.
    > Which technique best suit here. Is Data Mirror the right choice in
    > this scenario, or is there any more better way to achieve this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Haroon

    I would avoid keeping the same data in two places, especially if the
    data such as stock quantity can be updated on both systems. You would
    need a distributed database commit across both platforms to make this
    work properly. If you can't do this then sooner or later you'll end
    up selling an item at the same time off both applications and you will
    let your customer down.

    Better to leave the iSeries box as the master database and expose web
    services such as getStockOnHand, allocateStock, submitOrder etc.

    I'd also say that in many iSeries ERP applications the stock figure
    isn't necessarily stored as a single figure on one table. Depending
    on the application you may find that stock is stored in receipt or
    FIFO batches which are totaled and aged as required and depleted based
    upon business rules. You want all this business logic hidden behind
    a simple API or Web Service that you can consume from your PC
    application.

    Jack Perkins
    CTO
    www.iadoreyour.com : Luxury Gifts