Sending AS/400 AFPDS to Windows - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Sending AS/400 AFPDS to Windows - IBM AS400 ; Hi, Is there any solution on sending the AS/400 AFPDS spool file to Windows platform which keeps EBCDIC format? I only can use an indirect way in using an AIX lpr to receive the spool printout and ftp to a ...

  1. Sending AS/400 AFPDS to Windows

    Hi,

    Is there any solution on sending the AS/400 AFPDS spool file to
    Windows platform which keeps EBCDIC format? I only can use an
    indirect way in using an AIX lpr to receive the spool printout and ftp
    to a Windows workstation. Any solution that can send the AFPDS file
    to Windows but keeps the EBCDIC code?

    Thanks and Regards
    Ernest

  2. Re: Sending AS/400 AFPDS to Windows

    There use to be a product called PSF/2 that could receive AFPDS. The
    i5/OS LPR has a destination type of *PSF2 for that purpose. I think the
    product PSF/2 ran on OS/2. Not sure if there was a windows version of
    that ever created. I think the replacement product was RPM (remote
    print mangager...or something like that).

    Essentially what you need is an LPD that will take the data raw and
    spool as is. The i5/OS LPR can send the data untransformed. One word
    of warning, LPR sends the data as is which could cause some problems
    depending upon the source of your AFPDS. There are four different AFPDS
    formats. AFPDS that has been spooled to i5/OS through SNA will have
    original and trim length fields prepended to each AFPDS command. LPR
    does not strip them out.

    You may want to consider some sort of printer driver that is based off
    of the exit example TSPLPRD in QUSRTOOL/QATTSYSC. The program could be
    modified to use FTP to send data and you can use the Spool apis to read
    the data and ftp to your windows machine.

    One other possibility is to use shared folders and IPS/400. The is a
    command CRTAFPDTA or something like that (memory is going bad) that can
    take a spooled file as input and would inline all the AFP resources and
    can place them into an ifs file.

    --
    Rodney A Johnson
    Working on a new project. Former technical team Lead for i5/OS (AS/400)

    my employer, IBM. All responsibility for the statements
    sender.

  3. Re: Sending AS/400 AFPDS to Windows

    We have API's that can extract the RAW AFPDS spool file to a PC file and
    then you can do what you want with it on your Windows machine.

    For more info, you can contact me directly.

    Regards,
    Richard Schoen
    RJS Software Systems Inc.
    "Get the information you need. Now!"
    Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
    Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
    Tel: (952) 898-3038
    Fax: (952) 898-1781
    Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

    "ETYC" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any solution on sending the AS/400 AFPDS spool file to
    > Windows platform which keeps EBCDIC format? I only can use an
    > indirect way in using an AIX lpr to receive the spool printout and ftp
    > to a Windows workstation. Any solution that can send the AFPDS file
    > to Windows but keeps the EBCDIC code?
    >
    > Thanks and Regards
    > Ernest

+ Reply to Thread