images/graphics and text - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on images/graphics and text - IBM AS400 ; We have a parts catalog with say 20,000 items. Each item may have an associated picture, drawing and "specs". I want to find a program that will let me display any of these from the as/400. For instance, if I ...

  1. images/graphics and text

    We have a parts catalog with say 20,000 items.

    Each item may have an associated picture, drawing and "specs".

    I want to find a program that will let me display any of these from
    the as/400. For instance, if I am in an order-entry program, I want
    to be able to enter a part number and have it bring up a window with
    the blueprint drawing and then specs - i.e. A - 38.85, B - 28.75, etc.

    The drawing would reference what A is and B is.

    I can easily store the specs in say a specific size document on the
    as/400. For instance, just some place where I can type in stuff like:

    A - 38.87 (inside diameter)
    B - 27.85 (outside diameter)
    Q - 45 degree right angle
    Z - right hand thread twist

    In other words, I can have a part number file that has these
    annotations recorded in it. However, I may have 20,000 items, which
    only use say 100 drawings, so I want to be able to output a window
    that has drawing #1 with specs for item 18000. Is there software that
    will do this on the fly?? Ideally, I'd like to display this as a
    sub-window within the as/400 session. I know if I just want to display
    an image, I can do that by using STRPCCMD or something like that. But
    it'd be nice to be able to DYNAMICALLY merge the specs with the
    drawing and/or image.

    Is something like this feasible on as/400 or not. Or would I be
    better off creating 20,000 documents that contain the image, drawing
    and specs and create pdf's of them and open each one via STRPCCMD or
    something like that.

    Anyoen familiar with quick image by pixel.net or office integrator by
    RJS?? Woudl either of these be adaptable to something like this?

    Appreciate any suggestions or ideas.
    thanks,
    ga
    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  2. Re: images/graphics and text

    On May 16, 1:51*pm, ga wrote:
    > We have a parts catalog with say 20,000 items.
    >
    > Each item may have an associated picture, drawing and "specs". *
    >
    > I want to find a program that will let me display any of these from
    > the as/400. *For instance, if I am in an order-entry program, I want
    > to be able to enter a part number and have it bring up a window with
    > the blueprint drawing and then specs - i.e. A - 38.85, B - 28.75, etc.
    >
    > The drawing would reference what A is and B is.
    >
    > I can easily store the specs in say a specific size document on the
    > as/400. For instance, just some place where I can type in stuff like:
    >
    > A - 38.87 (inside diameter)
    > B - 27.85 (outside diameter)
    > Q - 45 degree right angle
    > Z - right hand thread twist
    >
    > In other words, I can have a part number file that has these
    > annotations recorded in it. *However, I may have 20,000 items, which
    > only use say 100 drawings, so I want to be able to output a window
    > that has drawing #1 with specs for item 18000. *Is there software that
    > will do this on the fly?? *Ideally, I'd like to display this as a
    > sub-window within the as/400 session. I know if I just want to display
    > an image, I can do that by using STRPCCMD or something like that. *But
    > it'd be nice to be able to DYNAMICALLY merge the specs with the
    > drawing and/or image.
    >
    > Is something like this feasible on as/400 or not. *Or would I be
    > better off creating 20,000 documents that contain the image, drawing
    > and specs and create pdf's of them and open each one via STRPCCMD or
    > something like that.
    >
    > Anyoen familiar with quick image by pixel.net or office integrator by
    > RJS?? *Woudl either of these be adaptable to something like this?
    >
    > Appreciate any suggestions or ideas.
    > thanks,
    > ga
    > ga
    > nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    You can't do this using the 5250 protocol since it is text only. One
    way of doing this would be to create a web site running on your box
    that will let you lookup the parts and display their images. There are
    also some IBM tools available (such as WebFacing and HATS) and third
    parts tools that will let you put a web front end on existing screens
    and include additional items such as part images.

    Matt

  3. Re: images/graphics and text

    The other way is to use the STRPCCMD to launch an image viewing
    application on the PC which will then load the file from where ever
    you've got the file stored.

    I use this method for allowing users to launch Arcobat Reader so that
    they can view PDF documents of client policies, etc

  4. Re: images/graphics and text

    The RJS iSeries Office Integrator would definitely be adaptable for your
    image viewing application.

    For more info or a free demo, check out our web site or contact me directly.

    Regards,
    Richard Schoen
    RJS Software Systems Inc.
    "The AS/400 and iSeries Report and Data Delivery Experts"
    Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
    Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com

    "ga" wrote in message
    > We have a parts catalog with say 20,000 items.
    >
    > Each item may have an associated picture, drawing and "specs".
    >
    > I want to find a program that will let me display any of these from
    > the as/400. For instance, if I am in an order-entry program, I want
    > to be able to enter a part number and have it bring up a window with
    > the blueprint drawing and then specs - i.e. A - 38.85, B - 28.75, etc.
    >
    > The drawing would reference what A is and B is.
    >
    > I can easily store the specs in say a specific size document on the
    > as/400. For instance, just some place where I can type in stuff like:
    >
    > A - 38.87 (inside diameter)
    > B - 27.85 (outside diameter)
    > Q - 45 degree right angle
    > Z - right hand thread twist
    >
    > In other words, I can have a part number file that has these
    > annotations recorded in it. However, I may have 20,000 items, which
    > only use say 100 drawings, so I want to be able to output a window
    > that has drawing #1 with specs for item 18000. Is there software that
    > will do this on the fly?? Ideally, I'd like to display this as a
    > sub-window within the as/400 session. I know if I just want to display
    > an image, I can do that by using STRPCCMD or something like that. But
    > it'd be nice to be able to DYNAMICALLY merge the specs with the
    > drawing and/or image.
    >
    > Is something like this feasible on as/400 or not. Or would I be
    > better off creating 20,000 documents that contain the image, drawing
    > and specs and create pdf's of them and open each one via STRPCCMD or
    > something like that.
    >
    > Anyoen familiar with quick image by pixel.net or office integrator by
    > RJS?? Woudl either of these be adaptable to something like this?
    >
    > Appreciate any suggestions or ideas.
    > thanks,
    > ga
    > ga