DSPSFWRSC command - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on DSPSFWRSC command - IBM AS400 ; I'm trying to supply information to management about our software installed on the box; Using command line, if I do a DSPSFWRSC and hit enter, i get that descprition information output to the screen; however, if I prompt it and ...

  1. DSPSFWRSC command

    I'm trying to supply information to management about our software
    installed on the box; Using command line, if I do a DSPSFWRSC and hit
    enter, i get that descprition information output to the screen;
    however, if I prompt it and have it go to an outfile, I am missing the
    description information (the actual 'english' description of the
    product, not the IBM 579SS1..etc)

    So my question is, how can I get the description information to show
    as well?

    Thanks all,

  2. Re: DSPSFWRSC command

    Try DSPSFWRSC *PRINT instead
    then WRKSPLF to look at it
    Karl

    * Chris:
    > I'm trying to supply information to management about our software
    > installed on the box; Using command line, if I do a DSPSFWRSC and hit
    > enter, i get that descprition information output to the screen;
    > however, if I prompt it and have it go to an outfile, I am missing the
    > description information (the actual 'english' description of the
    > product, not the IBM 579SS1..etc)
    >
    > So my question is, how can I get the description information to show
    > as well?
    >
    > Thanks all,

  3. Re: DSPSFWRSC command

    il 15/05/2008 20.04, Scrive Chris 40359816:
    > I'm trying to supply information to management about our software
    > installed on the box; Using command line, if I do a DSPSFWRSC and hit
    > enter, i get that descprition information output to the screen;
    > however, if I prompt it and have it go to an outfile, I am missing the
    > description information (the actual 'english' description of the
    > product, not the IBM 579SS1..etc)
    >
    > So my question is, how can I get the description information to show
    > as well?
    >
    > Thanks all,

    Either you can use OUTPUT(*PRINT) or get the product description from
    the message-file id provided in LCDTMI LCDTMF LCDTML (MSGID, MSGF el
    LIB) fields of outfile format.

  4. Re: DSPSFWRSC command

    On May 15, 1:14*pm, Karl wrote:
    > Try DSPSFWRSC *PRINT instead
    > then WRKSPLF to look at it
    > Karl
    >
    > * Chris:
    >

    > > I'm trying to supply information to management about our software
    > > installed on the box; Using command line, if I do a DSPSFWRSC and hit
    > > enter, i get that descprition information output to the screen;
    > > however, if I prompt it and have it go to an outfile, I am missing the
    > > description information (the actual 'english' description of the
    > > product, not the IBM 579SS1..etc)

    > > So my question is, how can I get the description information to show
    > > as well?

    > > Thanks all,- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Karl; this is a start (kicking myself cause I didn't even think
    about the *PRINT option); although i'm trying to get this information
    pulled into a Windows environment.

  5. Re: DSPSFWRSC command

    On May 15, 1:20*pm, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    wrote:
    > il 15/05/2008 20.04, Scrive Chris 40359816:> I'm trying to supply information to management about our software
    > > installed on the box; Using command line, if I do a DSPSFWRSC and hit
    > > enter, i get that descprition information output to the screen;
    > > however, if I prompt it and have it go to an outfile, I am missing the
    > > description information (the actual 'english' description of the
    > > product, not the IBM 579SS1..etc)

    > > So my question is, how can I get the description information to show
    > > as well?

    > > Thanks all,

    > Either you can use OUTPUT(*PRINT) or get the product description from
    > the message-file id provided in LCDTMI LCDTMF LCDTML (MSGID, MSGF el
    > LIB) fields of outfile format.
    >
    > --
    > Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    > Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    > Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    > schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'

    Hi Dr. Ugo, could you explain your message-file id answer in a little
    more detail; i'm curious about this.

    Thanks

  6. Re: DSPSFWRSC command

    On May 16, 6:22 am, Chris wrote:
    > On May 15, 1:14 pm, Karl wrote:
    >
    > Thanks Karl; this is a start (kicking myself cause I didn't even think
    > about the *PRINT option); although i'm trying to get this information
    > pulled into a Windows environment.

    Easiest was to to drag it to your PC using iSeries navigator, or you
    can create a physical file (crtpf xxxx rcdlen(132)), copy the report
    to the PF and FTP to your PC.

  7. Re: DSPSFWRSC command

    il 15/05/2008 20.23, Scrive Chris 36727920:
    > On May 15, 1:20 pm, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    > wrote:
    >> il 15/05/2008 20.04, Scrive Chris 40359816:> I'm trying to supply information to management about our software
    >>> installed on the box; Using command line, if I do a DSPSFWRSC and hit
    >>> enter, i get that descprition information output to the screen;
    >>> however, if I prompt it and have it go to an outfile, I am missing the
    >>> description information (the actual 'english' description of the
    >>> product, not the IBM 579SS1..etc)
    >>> So my question is, how can I get the description information to show
    >>> as well?
    >>> Thanks all,

    >> Either you can use OUTPUT(*PRINT) or get the product description from
    >> the message-file id provided in LCDTMI LCDTMF LCDTML (MSGID, MSGF el
    >> LIB) fields of outfile format.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    >> Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    >> Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    >> schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'

    > Hi Dr. Ugo, could you explain your message-file id answer in a little
    > more detail; i'm curious about this.

    A message-file is an iSeries object of type *MSGF, as any other object,
    it has a name and a library, what stored in LCDTMF LCDTML fields. Like a
    db file, it has entries that have an ID, LCDTMI field, unique inside the
    file: the message ID that's always 7 character long, where the 1st 3 are
    any alfanumeric and the last 4 are in hex notation (0-9 and a-f digits
    only). MSGF entries are called "predefined message description" to
    distinguish them from extemporaneous one. A message description can have
    a number of attributes: message text, help text (or 2nd level message)
    that both can refer to substitution variables, a CCSID to refer the
    message to a particular language or character set. A NLS ready
    application can have multiple MSGF, one for each language stored into
    the language specific library, so that the same MSGID can come from
    different MSGF basing on the current library list.
    MSGF have access methods suited as CL commands, e.g. DSPMSGD (display
    message description), or as APIs, e.g. QMHRTVM (Retrieve Message).
    A message description become an enqued message when it's sent to a
    message queue, an enqued message gets its attributes from the message
    description stored in the message file and from the snding command or API.
    For more information refer to "Message Handling APIs" topic in iSeries
    Information Center
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...=/apis/mh1.htm

    So you should understood that managing a MSGF is not like managing a
    data-base file, e.g. with SQL, but SQL give you the mean to access a
    message file with an SQL procedure like an UDF. Assume you created
    "getmsgd" UDF that accept the ID and the qualified message file name as
    arguments and return the message text, you can apply to the OUTFILE of
    DSPSFWRSC command ouput in such a way:
    select getmsgd(LCDTMI LCDTMF LCDTML) from dspsfwrscoutfile