remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system - IBM AS400 ; Hi. I need to run some command from green screens on linux system with iSeriesAccess installed. What shall I use to do it? Regards, Tomasz...

  1. remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system

    Hi.

    I need to run some command from green screens on linux system with
    iSeriesAccess installed.

    What shall I use to do it?

    Regards,
    Tomasz

  2. Re: remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system

    On May 15, 12:49*pm, tomasz wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I need to run some command from green screens on linux system with
    > iSeriesAccess installed.
    >
    > What shall I use to do it?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tomasz

    I take it you have a linux box with a user logged onto the as400 which
    should then start a command on the linux box?
    Client access on windows allows use of STRPCO followed by STRPCCMD, &
    I imagine IBM replicated this for linux. Also client access offers
    incoming remote command options which are started from the as400 via
    RUNRMTCMD, & again I expect IBM to have duplicated this on linux, but
    the standard linux rexec might work just as well.
    Beyond that the possibilities are endless, telnet? ftp? web?

    HTH
    Jonathan.

  3. Re: remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system

    il 15/05/2008 13.49, Scrive tomasz 40359816:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I need to run some command from green screens on linux system with
    > iSeriesAccess installed.
    >
    > What shall I use to do it?

    start rexecd and use RUNRMTCMD, with RMTLOCNAME('hostname' *IP)
    parameter, as rexec client on iseries side. Be aware the you should
    quote user and password to mach case and be able to insert special
    characters as needed on linux side, e.g. RMTUSER('linux-user@tux')
    RMTPWD('password')

  4. Re: remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system

    Hi.

    I've started rexec on iseries and linux systems.
    Then I tried command:

    RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir /home/cwtost/test') RMTLOCNAME('EXTRANET' *IP)
    RMTUSER('cwtost') RMTPWD()

    It finishes after few minutes with error:

    A remote host did not respond within the timeout period.
    Command did not complete successfully.

    Host name EXTRANET is added into OS400 host table.

    Any idea?

    Tomasz

    Dr.UgoGagliardelli pisze:
    > il 15/05/2008 13.49, Scrive tomasz 40359816:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I need to run some command from green screens on linux system with
    >> iSeriesAccess installed.
    >>
    >> What shall I use to do it?

    > start rexecd and use RUNRMTCMD, with RMTLOCNAME('hostname' *IP)
    > parameter, as rexec client on iseries side. Be aware the you should
    > quote user and password to mach case and be able to insert special
    > characters as needed on linux side, e.g. RMTUSER('linux-user@tux')
    > RMTPWD('password')

  5. Re: remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system

    You need port 500 open for RUNRMTCMD to work.. Had to do this recently when
    connecting to a Unix box.

    RUNRMTCMD also provides a spool file which may be useful.

    Sam

    "tomasz" wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I've started rexec on iseries and linux systems.
    > Then I tried command:
    >
    > RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir /home/cwtost/test') RMTLOCNAME('EXTRANET' *IP)
    > RMTUSER('cwtost') RMTPWD()
    >
    > It finishes after few minutes with error:
    >
    > A remote host did not respond within the timeout period.
    > Command did not complete successfully.
    >
    > Host name EXTRANET is added into OS400 host table.
    >
    > Any idea?
    >
    > Tomasz
    >

    > Dr.UgoGagliardelli pisze:
    >> il 15/05/2008 13.49, Scrive tomasz 40359816:
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> I need to run some command from green screens on linux system with
    >>> iSeriesAccess installed.
    >>>
    >>> What shall I use to do it?

    >> start rexecd and use RUNRMTCMD, with RMTLOCNAME('hostname' *IP)
    >> parameter, as rexec client on iseries side. Be aware the you should quote
    >> user and password to mach case and be able to insert special characters
    >> as needed on linux side, e.g. RMTUSER('linux-user@tux')
    >> RMTPWD('password')

  6. Re: remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system

    There are no port restrictions between iSeries and linux box.

    I don't see any connection attpempt from iSeries to linux.

    Tomasz

    Saml pisze:
    > You need port 500 open for RUNRMTCMD to work.. Had to do this recently when
    > connecting to a Unix box.
    >
    > RUNRMTCMD also provides a spool file which may be useful.
    >
    > Sam
    >

    > "tomasz" wrote in message
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I've started rexec on iseries and linux systems.
    >> Then I tried command:
    >>
    >> RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir /home/cwtost/test') RMTLOCNAME('EXTRANET' *IP)
    >> RMTUSER('cwtost') RMTPWD()
    >>
    >> It finishes after few minutes with error:
    >>
    >> A remote host did not respond within the timeout period.
    >> Command did not complete successfully.
    >>
    >> Host name EXTRANET is added into OS400 host table.
    >>
    >> Any idea?
    >>
    >> Tomasz
    >>

    >> Dr.UgoGagliardelli pisze:
    >>> il 15/05/2008 13.49, Scrive tomasz 40359816:

    >>> start rexecd and use RUNRMTCMD, with RMTLOCNAME('hostname' *IP)
    >>> parameter, as rexec client on iseries side. Be aware the you should quote
    >>> user and password to mach case and be able to insert special characters
    >>> as needed on linux side, e.g. RMTUSER('linux-user@tux')
    >>> RMTPWD('password')

  7. Re: remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system

    il 16/05/2008 13.55, Scrive tomasz 40353400:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I've started rexec on iseries and linux systems.
    > Then I tried command:
    >
    > RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir /home/cwtost/test') RMTLOCNAME('EXTRANET' *IP)
    > RMTUSER('cwtost') RMTPWD()
    >
    > It finishes after few minutes with error:
    >
    > A remote host did not respond within the timeout period.
    > Command did not complete successfully.
    >
    > Host name EXTRANET is added into OS400 host table.
    >
    > Any idea?

    Try to see on netstat both on iseries and linux, on iseries side you
    should see at least a sync-sent toward EXTRANET address rexec port, on
    linux side you should see at least a process listening on rexec port.
    On both linux and iseries you have to check whether an ip-route is
    available to reach each other.
    Then try to see if RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir /home/cwtost/test')
    RMTLOCNAME('localhost' *IP) RMTUSER(iseries-user) RMTPWD(his-password)
    fisnish successful, this case the problem is on the network or on linux
    side. Could be a firewall deny.

  8. Re: remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system

    Hi.

    I've checked netstat on both machines. Everything looks fine.
    Then I tried RUNRMTCMD on localhost with result:

    RUNRMTCMD CMD('crtlib tost1') RMTLOCNAME('localhost' *IP) RMTUSER(CWTOST)
    Permission denied.
    Command did not complete successfully.

    When I try:
    RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir test') RMTLOCNAME('10.1.5.29' *IP) RMTUSER('CWTOST')
    Connection ended abnormally.
    Problems occurred on the command, but the command completed.
    -------
    Message ID . . . . . . : CPF91CB

    Date sent . . . . . . : 19/05/08 Time sent . . . . . . :
    10:59:24

    Message . . . . : Problems occurred on the command, but the command

    completed.

    Cause . . . . . : A problem occurred while running the command, but
    was not
    severe enough to cause the command to end. The results of the command
    from
    the target system may have been placed in a spooled file.

    Recovery . . . : Refer to any previously issued messages. Correct
    the
    problem identified in the messages, then try the request again.

    -------

    I can't see any spool files generated by runrmtcmd.

    Tomasz

    Dr.UgoGagliardelli pisze:
    > il 16/05/2008 13.55, Scrive tomasz 40353400:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I've started rexec on iseries and linux systems.
    >> Then I tried command:
    >>
    >> RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir /home/cwtost/test') RMTLOCNAME('EXTRANET' *IP)
    >> RMTUSER('cwtost') RMTPWD()
    >>
    >> It finishes after few minutes with error:
    >>
    >> A remote host did not respond within the timeout period.
    >> Command did not complete successfully.
    >>
    >> Host name EXTRANET is added into OS400 host table.
    >>
    >> Any idea?

    > Try to see on netstat both on iseries and linux, on iseries side you
    > should see at least a sync-sent toward EXTRANET address rexec port, on
    > linux side you should see at least a process listening on rexec port.
    > On both linux and iseries you have to check whether an ip-route is
    > available to reach each other.
    > Then try to see if RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir /home/cwtost/test')
    > RMTLOCNAME('localhost' *IP) RMTUSER(iseries-user) RMTPWD(his-password)
    > fisnish successful, this case the problem is on the network or on linux
    > side. Could be a firewall deny.

  9. Re: remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system

    It's fine now.
    It was on linux side. Rexec tries to translate IP to DNS name and it
    causes problems. It's working now.

    Thanks for help.

    Tomasz

    tomasz pisze:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I've checked netstat on both machines. Everything looks fine.
    > Then I tried RUNRMTCMD on localhost with result:
    >
    > RUNRMTCMD CMD('crtlib tost1') RMTLOCNAME('localhost' *IP) RMTUSER(CWTOST)
    > Permission denied.
    > Command did not complete successfully.
    >
    > When I try:
    > RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir test') RMTLOCNAME('10.1.5.29' *IP) RMTUSER('CWTOST')
    > Connection ended abnormally.
    > Problems occurred on the command, but the command completed.
    > -------
    > Message ID . . . . . . : CPF91CB
    > Date sent . . . . . . : 19/05/08 Time sent . . . . . . : 10:59:24
    >

    > Message . . . . : Problems occurred on the command, but the command
    > completed.
    >

    > Cause . . . . . : A problem occurred while running the command, but
    > was not
    > severe enough to cause the command to end. The results of the command
    > from
    > the target system may have been placed in a spooled file.
    > Recovery . . . : Refer to any previously issued messages. Correct the
    > problem identified in the messages, then try the request again.
    >
    > -------
    >
    > I can't see any spool files generated by runrmtcmd.
    >

    > Tomasz
    >
    > Dr.UgoGagliardelli pisze:
    >> il 16/05/2008 13.55, Scrive tomasz 40353400:
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> I've started rexec on iseries and linux systems.
    >>> Then I tried command:
    >>>
    >>> RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir /home/cwtost/test') RMTLOCNAME('EXTRANET' *IP)
    >>> RMTUSER('cwtost') RMTPWD()
    >>>
    >>> It finishes after few minutes with error:
    >>>
    >>> A remote host did not respond within the timeout period.
    >>> Command did not complete successfully.
    >>>
    >>> Host name EXTRANET is added into OS400 host table.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea?

    >> Try to see on netstat both on iseries and linux, on iseries side you
    >> should see at least a sync-sent toward EXTRANET address rexec port, on
    >> linux side you should see at least a process listening on rexec port.
    >> On both linux and iseries you have to check whether an ip-route is
    >> available to reach each other.
    >> Then try to see if RUNRMTCMD CMD('mkdir /home/cwtost/test')
    >> RMTLOCNAME('localhost' *IP) RMTUSER(iseries-user) RMTPWD(his-password)
    >> fisnish successful, this case the problem is on the network or on
    >> linux side. Could be a firewall deny.

  10. Re: remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system

    il 19/05/2008 11.01, Scrive tomasz 40349680:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I've checked netstat on both machines. Everything looks fine.
    > Then I tried RUNRMTCMD on localhost with result:
    >
    > RUNRMTCMD CMD('crtlib tost1') RMTLOCNAME('localhost' *IP) RMTUSER(CWTOST)
    > Permission denied.
    > Command did not complete successfully.

    On my system with my userid the same command ran succesfully. Is CWTOST
    user enabled and capable to run commands?