QPWDMAXLEN problem - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on QPWDMAXLEN problem - IBM AS400 ; Hi. I'm trying to set QPWDMAXLEN to 24 characters (OS 5.3). My QPWDLVL is set to 2 so theoretically I should be able to set QPWDMAXLEN = 2. Unfortunatelly system says that QPWDLVL has incorrect value. Does anybody know that ...

  1. QPWDMAXLEN problem

    Hi.

    I'm trying to set QPWDMAXLEN to 24 characters (OS 5.3).
    My QPWDLVL is set to 2 so theoretically I should be able to set
    QPWDMAXLEN = 2.
    Unfortunatelly system says that QPWDLVL has incorrect value.

    Does anybody know that issue?

    Tomasz

  2. Re: QPWDMAXLEN problem

    tomasz wrote:

    > I'm trying to set QPWDMAXLEN to 24 characters (OS 5.3).
    > My QPWDLVL is set to 2 so theoretically I should be able to set
    > QPWDMAXLEN = 2.
    > Unfortunately system says that QPWDLVL has incorrect value.
    >
    > Does anybody know that issue?

    Suggesting that the "system says" is not very clear. There should be
    a diagnostic and escape message for the failed request; e.g.:
    CHGSYSVAL QPWDMAXLEN 24
    cpd#### - diag msg here says why request failed
    cpf#### - escape message stating "sytem value not changed"
    /* Full text of the logged messages and the message identifiers &
    the context, as presented in output from DSPJOBLOG OUTPUT(*PRINT), may
    be required to access all pertinent details, to best determine origin
    for the messages being issued. */

    Perhaps the issue is due to the system value QPWDLVL being /pending/
    versus fully activated, such that an IPL is required for the value to go
    into effect? See:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...akzqpwdlvl.htm

    Unlikely though possible, the origin for an error with the
    aforementioned CHGSYSVAL request could be due to "The maximum password
    length cannot be smaller than the minimum password length." However it
    would be probable origin for failure of the request to CHGSYSVAL
    QPWDMAXLEN 2, since the default for QPWDMINLEN is 6

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...qpwdmaxlen.htm

    Regards, Chuck

  3. Re: QPWDMAXLEN problem

    On May 14, 8:15*am, tomasz wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm trying to set QPWDMAXLEN to 24 characters (OS 5.3).
    > My QPWDLVL is set to 2 so theoretically I should be able to set
    > QPWDMAXLEN = 2.
    > Unfortunatelly system says that QPWDLVL has incorrect value.
    >
    > Does anybody know that issue?
    >
    > Tomasz

    Changes to QPWDLVL require an IPL before they become effective. If
    you are just changing to level 2 from 0, watch out for this gotcha!

    The system store the passwords as case-sensitive with level 0, but
    ignores case when the user enters their password. When level 2 takes
    effect, they now need to use the same case as they originally entered
    the password. It does NOT default to upper case. If the user
    happened to have uppercase on when they last changed their password,
    they now need to use uppercase, and vise versa.

  4. Re: QPWDMAXLEN problem

    Hi
    Thanks for information.
    Now I have to consider if I really need password lenght up to 24 characters.

    Tomasz

    Graybeard pisze:
    > On May 14, 8:15 am, tomasz wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to set QPWDMAXLEN to 24 characters (OS 5.3).
    >> My QPWDLVL is set to 2 so theoretically I should be able to set
    >> QPWDMAXLEN = 2.
    >> Unfortunatelly system says that QPWDLVL has incorrect value.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know that issue?
    >>
    >> Tomasz

    > Changes to QPWDLVL require an IPL before they become effective. If
    > you are just changing to level 2 from 0, watch out for this gotcha!
    >
    > The system store the passwords as case-sensitive with level 0, but
    > ignores case when the user enters their password. When level 2 takes
    > effect, they now need to use the same case as they originally entered
    > the password. It does NOT default to upper case. If the user
    > happened to have uppercase on when they last changed their password,
    > they now need to use uppercase, and vise versa.

+ Reply to Thread