iSeries Navigator reconnection problem - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on iSeries Navigator reconnection problem - IBM AS400 ; I do some of my work at home, connecting to the company's network through a VPN. I often work at home in the morning for a few hours waiting for highway traffic to clear before heading into the office after ...

  1. iSeries Navigator reconnection problem

    I do some of my work at home, connecting to the company's network
    through a VPN. I often work at home in the morning for a few hours
    waiting for highway traffic to clear before heading into the office
    after the peak commute time. I disconnect from the VPN after shutting
    down things like PC5250 sessions, then put the PC on standby. Once at
    the office, I connect the laptop to the docking station and I'm
    immediately available to open PC5250 sessions, as well as company e-
    mail, without having to log back into the network.

    If I have left an iSeries Navigator session open, some functions in it
    give me a connection error. Specifically, if I attempt to examine
    anything in the IFS for a system I was into earlier, I get an error
    "Unable to retrieve iSeries NetServer file shares"; when I click OK, I
    get another, "Unable to retrieve system mount information". I keep
    getting these until I shut down iSeries Navigator and reopen it.

    What's the issue here, and is there any way around it?

  2. Re: iSeries Navigator reconnection problem

    On May 12, 2:27*pm, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > I do some of my work at home, connecting to the company's network
    > through a VPN. *I often work at home in the morning for a few hours
    > waiting for highway traffic to clear before heading into the office
    > after the peak commute time. *I disconnect from the VPN after shutting
    > down things like PC5250 sessions, then put the PC on standby. *Once at
    > the office, I connect the laptop to the docking station and I'm
    > immediately available to open PC5250 sessions, as well as company e-
    > mail, without having to log back into the network.
    >
    > If I have left an iSeries Navigator session open, some functions in it
    > give me a connection error. *Specifically, if I attempt to examine
    > anything in the IFS for a system I was into earlier, I get an error
    > "Unable to retrieve iSeries NetServer file shares"; when I click OK, I
    > get another, "Unable to retrieve system mount information". *I keep
    > getting these until I shut down iSeries Navigator and reopen it.
    >
    > What's the issue here, and is there any way around it?

    I am going to guess, sounds like an IP stack issue or a open port.

  3. Re: iSeries Navigator reconnection problem

    On May 12, 11:27*am, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > I do some of my work at home, connecting to the company's network
    > through a VPN. *I often work at home in the morning for a few hours
    > waiting for highway traffic to clear before heading into the office
    > after the peak commute time. *I disconnect from the VPN after shutting
    > down things like PC5250 sessions, then put the PC on standby. *Once at
    > the office, I connect the laptop to the docking station and I'm
    > immediately available to open PC5250 sessions, as well as company e-
    > mail, without having to log back into the network.
    >
    > If I have left an iSeries Navigator session open, some functions in it
    > give me a connection error. *Specifically, if I attempt to examine
    > anything in the IFS for a system I was into earlier, I get an error
    > "Unable to retrieve iSeries NetServer file shares"; when I click OK, I
    > get another, "Unable to retrieve system mount information". *I keep
    > getting these until I shut down iSeries Navigator and reopen it.
    >
    > What's the issue here, and is there any way around it?

    Are you using a "specify workstation id" in your configuration ?
    (Open communication-Configure)

    If the session gets closed, before signing off, the job (workstation)
    could still be active.

    Have a second session configured with a different ID. Start that
    session, and do a WRKACTJOB to check for the first session.

  4. Re: iSeries Navigator reconnection problem

    Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > I do some of my work at home, connecting to the company's network
    > through a VPN. I often work at home in the morning for a few hours
    > waiting for highway traffic to clear before heading into the office
    > after the peak commute time. I disconnect from the VPN after shutting
    > down things like PC5250 sessions, then put the PC on standby. Once at
    > the office, I connect the laptop to the docking station and I'm
    > immediately available to open PC5250 sessions, as well as company e-
    > mail, without having to log back into the network.
    >
    > If I have left an iSeries Navigator session open, some functions in it
    > give me a connection error. Specifically, if I attempt to examine
    > anything in the IFS for a system I was into earlier, I get an error
    > "Unable to retrieve iSeries NetServer file shares"; when I click OK, I
    > get another, "Unable to retrieve system mount information". I keep
    > getting these until I shut down iSeries Navigator and reopen it.
    >
    > What's the issue here, and is there any way around it?

    Jonathan:

    Connections to the Host Servers can be established in a few different
    ways. For example, you can send userid/password directly to a host
    server for each request or you can send userid/password to the Signon
    Server, receive a 'session token' back and send that token to other host
    servers. (Or other methods.)

    There's not a huge amount of info on exactly how the processing
    progresses in the host servers themselves. You can imagine some
    plausible scenarios, though.

    A 'token' might be encoded with connection info. If a host server sees
    the same token being sent through a different connection, it'd then make
    sense that the host server would object or at least be very confused.
    (I'm totally inventing this, just to suggest some possible sense.)

    An authentication token coming through a different connection could
    easily be an indication of a session hijacking.

    Try creating a second connection that prompts every time. Test it before
    going standby at home. Then test that connection after hooking back in
    at the office. I can't say if it'll work or not. I'm only suggesting
    that some experimentation might illuminate where the issue is.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

+ Reply to Thread