CPYTOSTMF - member name for QS36F File - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on CPYTOSTMF - member name for QS36F File - IBM AS400 ; Hi, The CPYTOSTMF command is now working very fine to bring QS36F files down to my PC drive on my iSeries that is mapped to my PC. However in automating the procedure, the source file needs the "member name" (e.g. ...

  1. CPYTOSTMF - member name for QS36F File

    Hi,

    The CPYTOSTMF command is now working very fine to bring QS36F files
    down to my PC drive on my iSeries that is mapped to my PC.

    However in automating the procedure, the source file needs the "member
    name" (e.g. M950119) which is normally found in some techie view like
    DSPPFM. However this is meant to run in automated mode.

    My goal is to create a new file .. so is there a good way to capture
    that QS36F file" member name" for the FROMMBR parameter after it is
    created ?

    I realize I can play with one file and accomplish the same end,
    clearing a file by deleting previous records and/or renaming. Which
    would not change the source member name so it could be hard-coded, and
    if necessary I would go that route. However I would prefer to simply
    capture the member name of the new QS36F file on the fly. Maybe a CL
    command or some special program captures this ?

    Any suggestions ?

    Thanks,

    Steven Avery
    Queens, NY

  2. Re: CPYTOSTMF - member name for QS36F File

    set the member name to a "fixed" name, and use a CLRPFM instead of the
    DELETE filename in your ocl.

    www.michsoft.com "we speak adv s36"

    On May 7, 9:25*pm, Steven Avery wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > The CPYTOSTMF command is now working very fine to bring QS36F files
    > down to my PC drive on my iSeries that is mapped to my PC.
    >
    > However in automating the procedure, the source file needs the "member
    > name" (e.g. M950119) which is normally found in some techie view like
    > DSPPFM. *However this is meant to run in automated mode.
    >
    > My goal is to create a new file .. so is there a good way to capture
    > that QS36F file" member name" for the FROMMBR parameter after it is
    > created ?
    >
    > I realize I can play with one file and accomplish the same end,
    > clearing a file by deleting previous records and/or renaming. *Which
    > would not change the source member name so it could be hard-coded, and
    > if necessary I would go that route. *However I would prefer to simply
    > capture the member name of the new QS36F file on the fly. *Maybe a CL
    > command or some special program captures this ?
    >
    > Any suggestions ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steven Avery
    > Queens, NY

  3. Re: CPYTOSTMF - member name for QS36F File

    > However in automating the procedure, the source file needs the "member
    > name" (e.g. M950119) which is normally found in some techie view like
    > DSPPFM. However this is meant to run in automated mode.

    Have you tried the Retrieve Member Description command to retrieve the
    member name:

    RTVMBRD FILE(LIBRARY/FILE) MBR(*FIRST) RTNMBR(&MBRNAME)

+ Reply to Thread